The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

He personified the term "guitar hero" for me when I was a kid.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My favorite song of his.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Well, now we're getting into la creme de creme.

The first time I heard "Are You Experienced?" (1967), I was stunned. In my view, it is one of the top five rock albums of all time in terms of how it changed the dynamic. I am not talking about the notes played, but the sound and sensibility. My three favorite songs of his are the aforementioned Winds Cries Mary, All Along the Watchtower and Voodoo Child. I saw hime with the Band of Gypsys in the live concert at Fillmore East on New Year's Eve. Not his best, in my opinion, but undeniably impressive.

User Info Menu

Many try, but there's no one like him. I wish Stevie hadn't tried.

User Info Menu

Band of Gypsies was my favorite Hendrix album. It was the first album I bought after returning from my second USO tour in Viet Nam. I used to play it on my portable cassette deck to put me to sleep at night in my college dorm.

User Info Menu

My heart broke when he died.

In the few years he put out albums his music matured markedly. He commented that his idol was Kenny Burrell. These facts tell me he would have taken us to unimaginable places by age 40.

His Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock is iconic and timeless.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Many try, but there's no one like him. I wish Stevie hadn't tried.
    Well, I don't see why Stevie Ray Vaughan couldn't do his own thing, even if overly influenced by Jimi Hendrix, if that's where his muse was. But I agree that as good as Stevie was, he didn't come close. And maybe he overdid the imitation, with covers of "Red House," "Little Wing" and "Voodoo Child." At least he had good taste in that regard.
    Last edited by Phil59; 09-18-2020 at 11:06 PM.

My fave uptempo Jimi was the instrumental at Woodstock that has 3 sections one of them is in elevin eight with melody in octaves See ya in the next world dont be LATE!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    He personified the term "guitar hero" for me when I was a kid.

we have to remember..the electric guitar was not a "major star" in rock yet..yes there was the 50's with Chuck Berry and others

but it all changed with the Beatles..who WROTE their own songs...and alot of them..and many music groups from England came over..

and it was all guitar oriented..and then American groups ..the San Francisco/LA groups The Dead Jefferson Airplane..The Doors and others

and it just flooded the new airwaves on FM radio..which still had some commercial free shows as not many had FM radios in the mid 60's

I remember the solo that Jorma played on the end of Somebody to Love by the Airplane..it was considered by some to be "radical" in a sense..

and then Monterey Pop Festival..the first "rock festival"...and here comes Jimi..and it all changed.. a super cool and relaxed and almost magical the sounds
    he could get at will..with no effort..and feedback was now musical..and mystical..the blues on steroids..and 50 years later the waves of his influence are still
    being heard and the electric guitar has evolved into a world of its own with sounds and support effects that have taken electronic music world wide
    to a very new and exciting place..

User Info Menu

I remember the first time I heard a Hendrix recording, I was totally stunned. No one was playing, writing, arranging like that. Shortly after a friend asked if I wanted to see him. It was his first concert in Hawaii, Oct. 5, 1968 and my first concert. Live, he was completely mind-blowing...

User Info Menu

I still recall the first time I heard him. It was a Saturday afternoon, the sun was out, and I was lying on my bed listening to the Alan Freeman show, when he played Red House. That was it for me. I bought everything I could for many years, still have so many press cuttings, and magazine articles, the GP Hendrix special, and so on, tucked into the sleeves of all those vinyl albums. I think I had everything official including all the Alan Douglas stuff, although nowadays it's impossible to keep up. Axis Bold as Love is probably my favourite, though the original UK Smash Hits is also a favourite for that version of Red House.

Derek

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    It was a Saturday afternoon, the sun was out, and I was lying on my bed listening to the Alan Freeman show
    you just described my teenage Saturday afternoons...Alan Freeman...that brings back memories!

User Info Menu

When I was a kid I heard this tune so many times...great solo.

User Info Menu

There is a Jimi Tributte from Poland...:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    My heart broke when he died.

In the few years he put out albums his music matured markedly. He commented that his idol was Kenny Burrell. These facts tell me he would have taken us to unimaginable places by age 40.

His Star Spangled Banner at Woodstock is iconic and timeless.
    Lest we forget....

User Info Menu

Some great jimi improvisation:

User Info Menu

Jimi got me into the guitar ....

the live ‘sunshine of your love’ cover off
    the uk Experience LP live at the Albert Hall

wow the volume and power of it

then his chord melody playing on ballads
    like Axis , Little Wing , Thw Wind cries Mary etc

my favourites now are probably Voodoo chile (slight return) and Pali Gap

anyone here into Pali Gap (its not very well known) great stream of consciousness improv

play on Jimi love you man

User Info Menu

Yes I remember Pali Gap, I liked that one too. It’s on Rainbow Bridge isn’t it?

User Info Menu

Still got all my Hendrix LPs.

Jimi Hendrix: Gone 50 Years Ago Today-14d2d3c8-2e85-4565-aa81-a6823a820066-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop;[URL="tel:1062692"
    1062692[/URL]]Yes I remember Pali Gap, I liked that one too. It’s on Rainbow Bridge isn’t it?
    yeah rainbow bridge
    (i think)that was the last album released
    while jimi was still walking this 3rd stone from the sun

i believe it was originally a kinda ‘home’ recording
    type thing where jimi played everything
    interesting interplay between all the elements in that

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Also got a couple of interesting CDs with some blues content.

Jimi Hendrix: Gone 50 Years Ago Today-35f5b94e-4556-471b-9cee-9a4965ca81de-jpg