The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I picked this up when esteemed member sgcim mentioned it in another thread, I'm always looking for a good book on jazz.
    Not quite finished but it's one of the best autobio's I've read so far.
    From his career as a child prodigy to working w/Shearing while still @ Berkley, then on the road w/Getz and finally leading his own bands.
    just a great read, thanks sgcim!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

nice...a young burtons also on the hank garland classic-jazz winds from a new direction- ... hugely influential on young jimmy bruno and george benson

& jimmy wyble was huge influence on garland!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I picked this up when esteemed member sgcim mentioned it in another thread, I'm always looking for a good book on jazz.
    Not quite finished but it's one of the best autobio's I've read so far.
    From his career as a child prodigy to working w/Shearing while still @ Berkley, then on the road w/Getz and finally leading his own bands.
    just a great read, thanks sgcim!
    You're welcome, fellow esteemed member WM, and wait till you get up to the part where he talks about Metheny and his "little fixes" on their recordings.
    He doesn't beat around the bush with Getz, Metheny, Coryell or anyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    You're welcome, fellow esteemed member WM, and wait till you get up to the part where he talks about Metheny and his "little fixes" on their recordings.
    I'm to the point where he fired Coryell and is playing a lot of solo gigs and duos w Chick and about to get remarried.
    Probably could've polished this off in 2 or 3 days especially since time is more plentiful now, but had my first gig in 6 months this past weekend and trying to nurse it a bit.

User Info Menu

Not to mention what he has to say about Astrid Gilberto and Anita O'Day...

User Info Menu

I've just ordered a copy. Looking forward to reading it. I've never been a great fan of the vibes, but sometimes they can be beautiful, especially in his hands. And, besides, the book is about more than the vibraphone. I look forward to some good, insightful writing.

User Info Menu

Haha this sounds like fun.