......with My Foolish Heart @ 17:46...

Thanks !!

User Info Menu

rip bill evans

with jim hall

romain

cheers

User Info Menu

One off my favourites of Evans. Wait untill the bass (Gomez!) kicks in . . . . .

User Info Menu

With George Russell in 1958 Playing "Concerto For Billy the Kid"- see if you can figure out what tune it's based on:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    With George Russell in 1958 Playing "Concerto For Billy the Kid"- see if you can figure out what tune it's based on:
    Vaguely I'll Remember April?
    The intro sure sounds like it but not the exact changes.
    Not a lot of footage of Barry Galbraith out there.

User Info Menu

^ i'll remember april

one of the great line ups of all time

Oliver Nelson – alto saxophone, tenor saxophone
    Eric Dolphy – flute, alto saxophone
    George Barrow – baritone saxophone
    Freddie Hubbard – trumpet
    Bill Evans – piano
    Paul Chambers – bass
    Roy Haynes – drums

Recorded February 23, 1961
    Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs

opening track-stolen moments -from oliver nelsons great- The Blues and the Abstract Truth

cheers

User Info Menu

Peri's Scope is still one of my all time favorites.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It's great to start my day with so much great music from one of the geniuses of jazz. I recently watched the Netflix film on Bill Evans, and found it very moving.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    It's great to start my day with so much great music from one of the geniuses of jazz. I recently watched the Netflix film on Bill Evans, and found it very moving.
    "Bill Evans Time Remebered"?
    If so, I just recently watched it again. The first time I saw it was at a screening in a theater here in Red Bank, New Jersey. So cool that they would show it there.

User Info Menu

Yes, "Time Remembered", but I made a mistake - I saw it on Amazon Prime. A theatre screening sounds more enjoyable, though.
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 09-16-2020 at 10:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Vaguely I'll Remember April?
    The intro sure sounds like it but not the exact changes.
    Not a lot of footage of Barry Galbraith out there.
    Good ear, my man!
    Too bad it's the start of another season of bitter rivalry between the Eagles and the Giants.
    We're both 0-1, but hopefully Barkley will break a few more open than the one he did Monday night.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Good ear, my man!
    Too bad it's the start of another season of bitter rivalry between the Eagles and the Giants.
    We're both 0-1, but hopefully Barkley will break a few more open than the one he did Monday night.
    Not sure I'd have figured it out w out the latin part though.
    Yeah man, that was an absolute meltdown after the Birds were up 17-0, coughing up 27 straight to the Washington football team in one of the worst losses I can remember. Didn't even feel like watching any more games, but I did delight in seeing the Cowchips lose later that night.
    I kinda like that young qb Jones the G'ints have. The Birds' Miles Sanders who was Barkley's backup at Penn State is a star in the making too.

User Info Menu

My favorite is Evans “Danny Boy” recording with the great Shelly Manne. It truly displays his gentle soul. And the key change mid way through truly was fabulous for it changed the tune! btw, I own 2 copies of this recording on vinyl and a couple on cd. I also own several pdf transcriptions of it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    My favorite is Evans “Danny Boy” recording with the great Shelly Manne. It truly displays his gentle soul. And the key change mid way through truly was fabulous for it changed the tune! btw, I own 2 copies of this recording on vinyl and a couple on cd. I also own several pdf transcriptions of it!

Songs like that meant a lot to Bill, because his father was Welsh, and would sing Irish and Welsh songs in the house when Bill was a kid.
    A Welsh novelist wrote a novel about the period of time when Bill was visiting his parents, right after Scott La Faro died. The title of the book is "Intermission".
    There's a lot about his father's Welsh background in it.

User Info Menu

bill evans was so beautiful yet so dark

it came out in his music

with such wonderful deep feeling

cheers