The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Saw Buddy Rich big band early 70's.
    Trying to figure out who the guitarist was .

Maybe late 20's early 30's at that time, a little heavy set. big beard, lots of technique.

thx

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jack Wilkins comes to mind.

User Info Menu

Yeah I think he stopped using a guitarist around then, kinda annoys me I *think* Jimmy Bruno was doing it for a while before, icbw.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Yeah I think he stopped using a guitarist around then, kinda annoys me I *think* Jimmy Bruno was doing it for a while before, icbw.
    Indeed, Jimmy played with Buddy Rich.

A 19 Year Old Jimmy Bruno with Buddy Rich - Jazz Guitar Today

User Info Menu

I also caught Buddy back in the early 70's and remember one thing very clearly. That band was LOUD, but man, could they swing.
    Not sure if Jimmy Bruno was with him at the time, but there weren't too many guitar solos if I recall. Plenty of drum solos...which I really enjoyed.

User Info Menu

Jack played with him in the 70s but was never bearded or heavy.

User Info Menu

LOUD band. Saw them then. Gawd...loud as any rock concert, but better.

User Info Menu

a similar recent thread...has some answers

Bob Bain - Tonight Show footage with Buddy Rich

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Jack played with him in the 70s but was never bearded or heavy.
    I searched through the web for pictures of Jack at that time and while I found one picture of him with big sideburns, he was no light weight.

Guitarist for Buddy Rich - Circa 1970's-screenshot_2020-09-03-highlights-jazz-concert-026-â•fi-accent-percussion-viewcontent-png

User Info Menu

Walt Namuth from Texas was with Buddy for a time; quit the band (and the biz) and offered me the gig one night after a great show at Lennie's, north of Boston. Would have been early 70's. It's also possible that Mick Goodrick subbed on Buddy's band for a minute around the same time period, and was wearing a large beard back then.

User Info Menu

I saw BR in NYC around 73 with Wayne Wright on guitar, but he doesn’t match the description.

User Info Menu

Here's Buddy from the '70s with Jimmy Bruno on guitar. (The footage of Buddy's band starts at 0:20.)