The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

For those of you who were watching TV in the 70's, you'll really appreciate the ironic dichotomy here. If you are too young to have lived then, you'll probably just think the whole scene is insane. MD in the ubiquitous classic 70's 3-piece suit, with FZ.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jimmy Walker AND Kenny Rogers on the same bill with Frank! Love that SG!

He seemed a heckuva lot more sincere than he did in later years, when he was pretty snarky with interviewers.

As I recall his interview with Terry Gross was a bit of a train wreck, for her anyway.

User Info Menu

I love this clip.
    Maybe Mike Douglas was a lot hipper than he seemed. After all, he did have Zappa on afternoon TV.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    As I recall his interview with Terry Gross was a bit of a train wreck, for her anyway.
    Never heard that interview. Thanks for the heads up.

User Info Menu

I remember seeing The MoI -had to be the late '60's......Absolutely as tight a group as I have ever seen before or since !

While I can't remember all the players, I do remember Ian Underwood, Ainsley Dunbar and of course Flo & Eddie.....

The concert was in Janesville Wisconsin at Milton Academy, and FZ or whoever was at the mike actually thought they were in Illinois.......

Too cool !!

User Info Menu

Mike Douglas had some pretty hip moments. I don't actually see this as ironic at all. I think there was often an element of him _trying_ to be hip and with it, while really not looking the part, but I also think he was sincerely interested in a lot of things, and that comes out in his interviews. I don't remember how much of this I saw at the time (at his heyday, I was more likely to be watching cartoons after school then talk shows), or how aware of his approach I was, but looking back at stuff that pops up on youtube, I think he deserves a lot of credit. I do remember seeing some of his shows with John and Yoko, but the things they were saying about politics were mostly over my head.

I think Zappa must have been a pretty challenging interview for anyone. He dared people to judge him superficially based on his appearance and the scatological/sexual/absurdist tone of his lyrics, but then would get pissed when they did.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 09-03-2020 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

In retrospect it's very entertaining to see somewhat older musicians and showbiz people interacting with the younger generation. Although at that point in his career, as he mentioned, Zappa was 35. TV was pretty cool back then, and in a lot of cases really tried hard to bring in a broad demographic. Remember stodgy old Ed Sullivan with the Beatles and Stones...

Also from that era a young Dick Cavett had a funny interview with Janis Joplin, and has hinted in interviews that they had more than a casual relationship.

Johnny Cash had a slew of young artists on his show, including a charming Linda Ronstadt. I listened to the Derek and the Dominoes performance today--Eric trading guitar licks with Carl Perkins--lots of mutual admiration going on.

OTOH there was Ralph Emery, not enamored of the Byrds. I'm sure there are a lot of examples of the Old Guard not getting it.

User Info Menu

stones on mike d show... doin chuck

almost a decade before zappa

cheers

User Info Menu

The Mike Douglas Show band was teeming w 1st rate jazz players including a few great guitarists.
    One of my old instructors, Bob Dinardo took over the guitar chair after Sonny Troy left.

User Info Menu

mike douglas show was in philly from '65 on...it had been from cleveland prior

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    For those of you who were watching TV in the 70's, you'll really appreciate the ironic dichotomy here. If you are too young to have lived then, you'll probably just think the whole scene is insane. MD in the ubiquitous classic 70's 3-piece suit, with FZ.

Never get tired of watching this clip

User Info Menu

Jimmy Walker AND Kenny Rogers on the same bill with Frank! Love that SG!

He seemed a heckuva lot more sincere than he did in later years, when he was pretty snarky with interviewers.

Terry Gross seems to like to ask questions that make people uncomfortable. I read in Gary Burton's autobiography that she took him out of the closet without him knowing she was going to do it! She did tell him that he didn't have to answer every question she put to him, but didn't say a word about the fact that she was going to reveal that he was gay in front of a nationwide audience.
    He sounded shell shocked when he responded!
    Just yesterday she asked some actress about her cosmetic surgery.
    Whenever she interviews anyone, we just wait for her to ask the big question that's going to upset the interviewee, and then crack up in disbelief!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Terry Gross seems to like to ask questions that make people uncomfortable. I read in Gary Burton's autobiography that she took him out of the closet without him knowing she was going to do it! She did tell him that he didn't have to answer every question she put to him, but didn't say a word about the fact that she was going to reveal that he was gay in front of a nationwide audience.
    He sounded shell shocked when he responded!
    Just yesterday she asked some actress about her cosmetic surgery.
    Whenever she interviews anyone, we just wait for her to ask the big question that's going to upset the interviewee, and then crack up in disbelief!
    I know her husband fairly well, Village Voice jazz critic Francis Davis, nice guy, I used to run into him at the old record shops all the time. As far as Terry, Gene Simmons kind of turned the tables on her once, I'll leave it at that.

User Info Menu

Jim Hall on the Griffin show.

Last edited by jameslovestal; 09-06-2020 at 06:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Frank doesn't mention that he destroyed the first Alice Cooper album that he "produced" for them.

They went into the studio, and were just warming up, getting ready for FZ to tell them it was time to record, when FZ's voice comes over the speakers and tells them, "Alright, we can use that as the first song.
    Let's go on to song number two."

The AC band couldn't believe it, but this was their first time in a studio, so they followed orders.
    The next day FZ didn't even show up, and they found Ian Underwood waiting for them, who knew nothing about recording!
    He didn't even know you had to separate the drummer when recording, and the result was a sloppy mess.
    They left Zappa and went to Bob Erzin, who produced "Love It To Death", and they sounded like a real rock band.

User Info Menu

Frank doesn't mention that he destroyed the first Alice Cooper album that he "produced" for them.

They went into the studio, and were just warming up, getting ready for FZ to tell them it was time to record, when FZ's voice comes over the speakers and tells them, "Alright, we can use that as the first song.
    Let's go on to song number two."

The AC band couldn't believe it, but this was their first time in a studio, so they followed orders.
    The next day FZ didn't even show up, and they found Ian Underwood waiting for them, who knew nothing about recording!
    He didn't even know you had to separate the drummer when recording, and the result was a sloppy mess.
    They left Zappa and went to Bob Erzin, who produced "Love It To Death", and they sounded like a real rock band.
    I’ve not heard that, but there is an Alice Cooper song on the album Zapped, which I had once upon a time...Refrigerator Heaven, IIRC. Apparently Alice idolized (and still idolizes) Frank:

“I'd watch him work in the studio and he was so far beyond anything I could imagine. All the stuff you hear on the Zappa albums that sound like little improvisations and mistakes, they're all written—every little squeak, bump and fart. I was in a place called The Experience one night in '68 or '69. Mike Bloomfield was in there, Jimi Hendrix was in there, Elvin Bishop. The premier guitar players all playing, all taking a solo . . . then Frank gets up and does an imitation of everyone there—Mike, Jimi, the whole—and then plays his own stuff. You should've seen the look on Hendrix's face! He blew everybody away. People were just atounded by the guy's virtuosity. We got to be very good friends. If you could make him laugh, you felt like you scored big. I'd sit there pretty quietly like a little mouse watching him work. He was truly one of a kind. There's nobody else out there trying to even be Frank because he's too hard to imitate. We could use a Frank right now."

Alice Cooper - Zappa Wiki Jawaka

User Info Menu

I’ve not heard that, but there is an Alice Cooper song on the album Zapped, which I had once upon a time...Refrigerator Heaven, IIRC. Apparently Alice idolized (and still idolizes) Frank:

“I'd watch him work in the studio and he was so far beyond anything I could imagine. All the stuff you hear on the Zappa albums that sound like little improvisations and mistakes, they're all written—every little squeak, bump and fart. I was in a place called The Experience one night in '68 or '69. Mike Bloomfield was in there, Jimi Hendrix was in there, Elvin Bishop. The premier guitar players all playing, all taking a solo . . . then Frank gets up and does an imitation of everyone there—Mike, Jimi, the whole—and then plays his own stuff. You should've seen the look on Hendrix's face! He blew everybody away. People were just atounded by the guy's virtuosity. We got to be very good friends. If you could make him laugh, you felt like you scored big. I'd sit there pretty quietly like a little mouse watching him work. He was truly one of a kind. There's nobody else out there trying to even be Frank because he's too hard to imitate. We could use a Frank right now."

Alice Cooper - Zappa Wiki Jawaka
    I got my info from AC's bass player Dennis Dunaway's autobiography. I guess Alice didn't seem to mind.
    Refrigerator Heaven was about cryogenics:
    "Until they discover the cure for cancer I'm so cold,
    Refrigerator heaven,
    So cold,
    Refrigerator heaven..."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I know her husband fairly well, Village Voice jazz critic Francis Davis, nice guy, I used to run into him at the old record shops all the time. As far as Terry, Gene Simmons kind of turned the tables on her once, I'll leave it at that.
    For the last year or so, she's been playing a lot more jazz than she used to play during breaks, and letting it run for a minute or so.
    That can only help the music.It must be FD's influence.
    I'll look for the Gs interview!

User Info Menu

For the last year or so, she's been playing a lot more jazz than she used to play during breaks, and letting it run for a minute or so.
    That can only help the music.It must be FD's influence.
    I'll look for the Gs interview!
    you can google it but it's edited [this IS Gene Simmons we're talking about ] but the edited part is in her wiki page
    I never met her formally but was talking w him when she pulled up in a car to pick him up a couple times, she's one of the tiniest people I've ever seen, less than 5' for sure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Jim Hall on the Douglas show.

Don't you mean the Merv Griffin show?

User Info Menu

She's the absolutely best interviewer. And most guests know that. Gene Simmons was a terrible jerk. Didn't Terry end the interview? Or did Simmons walk? But Chrissy Hynde was a hoot. She had no idea who Terry Gross was and didn't care. Treated her questions like Gross was a worm. Another notably bad interview was Monica Lewinsky who walked off.

As I kid I liked Mike Douglas. He was the first to give Richard Pryor exposure. It must have been around 1967. He was a frequent guest back before anyone knew who he was. I'd never seen anything like him. He had a week of John Lennon and Yoko. The same with Sly. He was a lot hipper than he showed himself to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dana
    Don't you mean the Merv Griffin show?
    Wow, I'm a space cadet! (but I always have confused those two T.V. host).

User Info Menu

you can google it but it's edited [this IS Gene Simmons we're talking about ] but the edited part is in her wiki page
    I never met her formally but was talking w him when she pulled up in a car to pick him up a couple times, she's one of the tiniest people I've ever seen, less than 5' for sure
    Here 'tis:
    Terry Gross interview with Gene Simmons : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

User Info Menu

Since you guys keep bringing up Gene Simmons, there might as well be a tie-in to Mike Douglas.

KISS' first major television appearance was on the Mike Douglass show in 1974: