The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I listen throughout the day to streaming music on Spectrum TV. There is a category that is called "Singers and Swing" which features mostly the late, great Jazz vocalists as well as some "contemporary" singers. It seems to me that Steve Tyrell gets a lot of play time. I never heard of him before Spectrum so I looked him up and he is accredited ,by many, as one of the "greatest Jazz vocalists alive." I am very interested in what others think about his singing. What do you think? Play live when??? . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

No takers after 17 hits???? Hmmmmmmm. Play live when??? . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

To my ears, the most annoying voice ever. That gravelly raspiness (which could be an act, I don’t know), with that faux hipness are like nails on a chalkboard to me. I immediately change the station when I see that it’s him. No thanks. I’d rather listen to Alfafa from Our Gang sing “I’m in the Mood for Love” than this doofus.

John Galich

User Info Menu

Haven't listened to him for a few years, but I have a few of his albums on CD with some sublime trumpet playing by Clark Terry (IIRC). I really like his voice and would love to be able to sing like that. These days, when in the mood for that style of jazz I tend to put on some Tony Bennett from his improv sessions, but nevertheless, I do like Steve Tyrell.

User Info Menu

Thanks, J and D for your replies. Anyone else care to put their thoughts in writing? Play live when???? . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Here's another.

Play live again??? . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Not a fan at all. Shut him off whenever hes on the 2 Jazz stations on Sirius

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Not a fan at all. Shut him off whenever hes on the 2 Jazz stations on Sirius
    Thanks, DM, for your reply. I find it quite surprising that a site devoted to Jazz Music has so few people who are willing to comment on someone who has been described, by some, as one of the greatest Jazz singers alive today. Where else could one pose this question for discussion: Bon Appetit Magazine? Today, we are witnessing a change in how we look at Jazz Music and how it is defined. There are some on this forum who have vociferously defended the notion that Jazz Music and its performers are every bit as talented today as they were 50 years ago. And, since Steve Tyrell is highly touted for his contribution to quality Jazz Music, I would think there are more than a handful of people who could provide some honest insight/opinion of his talents ,or lack thereof, in relation to the body of Jazz Music that exists today. Here's another offering for your listening. Play live when??? . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Well we are not a generic "jazz music" site, but a jazz guitar site, so vocalists are not front and center. They have about the same role here as saxophonist or vibes player--peripheral to our focus, important in jazz as a whole.

I enjoy his singing. I'm happy for anyone who lovingly presents these great songs for a new audience. He has his own style, some will object, but I like a lot of different vocal styles. They don't all have to be Tony Bennett or Frank Sinatra. I'm glad he's there, sincerely performing these songs and keeping them alive for the future.

He also uses a guitarist in his ensemble, and anyone who does that has a checkmark in my book.

User Info Menu

.....and the other side of the coin. Take it for what its worth as its from a "critic" (most aren't fans of this profession to begin with) and from a notoriously brutal one at that. With that said, I find way more I agree with in his evisceration of the subject than I don't.

To me, Steve sounds like a bad cross between Dr. John, the guy who sings the theme song to "The King of Queens" sitcom and some other TV ad commercial jingler.

Most of you have forgotten more about Jazz music than I know, but first time I heard him i thought "this is awful" and I don't say that about ANYONE who is on one of the Jazz channels as I don't feel I know enough to be critical of that which I don't understand fully. Oh well.....

Rex Reed Reviews Steve Tyrell at the Carlyle | Observer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66

To me, Steve sounds like a bad cross between Dr. John, the guy who sings the theme song to "The King of Queens" sitcom and some other TV ad commercial jingler.
    Yes, exactly!

User Info Menu

Sounds like a tie so far! 2-2. In regards to Lawson's response, I think we should consider ourselves musicians first and guitarists, secondly. In which case, it is healthy to consider all instruments and vocalists in our discussions. I have shaped my music from very diverse musical sources/instruments but, as an example, consider the wealth of inspiration an instrumentalist can experience when listening to the phrasing of great vocalists like Sarah Vaughan, Ella, Billie, Johnny Hartman, Nat, Arthur Prysock, Shirley Horn, etc. when playing ballads. What a difference a day makes!
    Play live when??? . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    In regards to Lawson's response, I think we should consider ourselves musicians first and guitarists, secondly.
    I probably listen to more non-guitar players than guitar players when listening to jazz.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a tie so far! 2-2. In regards to Lawson's response, I think we should consider ourselves musicians first and guitarists, secondly. In which case, it is healthy to consider all instruments and vocalists in our discussions. I have shaped my music from very diverse musical sources/instruments but, as an example, consider the wealth of inspiration an instrumentalist can experience when listening to the phrasing of great vocalists like Sarah Vaughan, Ella, Billie, Johnny Hartman, Nat, Arthur Prysock, Shirley Horn, etc. when playing ballads. What a difference a day makes!
    Play live when??? . . . Marinero
    As to "musicians first, guitarists second" I understand that sentiment, but it just isn't me, I fell in love with the guitar. Its voice, its looks, its feel, the sensuality of just holding it and playing it. I love the instrument. I hated piano. Forced to take lessons, hit repeatedly on the hands with a ruler when I made a mistake (using John Thompson's Teaching Little Fingers to Play (By Breaking them One By One)" I appreciate and respect piano playing, but music on the piano does nothing for me. It's like typing. Push the buttons. I really dislike music typically coming out of saxophones. Screeching, honking, snorting, rattling... to me, Blues+Saxophone = RUN FROM THE ROOM SCREAMING.

Guitar is, to me, a balm to my soul, a joy to my ears, and life to my mind. I love thinking about it, all the ways you can play it, all the sounds it can produce. Electric, Acoustic, clean, distorted, nylon, steel... this one instrument has so many personae.

So count me out of "musician first, guitarist second." I get that, but it's not me. I never wanted to play any other instrument, and I'm never happier than when I'm losing myself in the ultra simple fatal complexity of this maddening but beloved instrument.

Guess that makes me a cave man. Fine.

User Info Menu

"Guess that makes me a cave man. Fine." Lawson
    No . . . just honest.

Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

"Guess that makes me a cave man. Fine." Lawson
    No . . . just honest.

Play live . . . Marinero
    Yes I feel kind of badly, I do NOT listen to a lot of musicians other than guitarists, love the guitar, and tolerate the others. I am sure this limits my musical sensibilities but life is short and I have writing to do, classes to teach, horses to right, field-stone masonry to build and maintain, and travel out of the country 4-10 weeks a year with students, not to mention 3 married children and 5 grand-children and 1 92 year old father-in-law... so not a lot of time to even do guitar very well, much less becoming a Universal Musical Soul!

But God, how I love the guitar.