The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

considering the times we live in ..and in particular the social/political climate..this tune by Marvin Gaye now seems timeless..like it just was released an hour ago..

I think the playing is just perfect for the tune and does capture the emotional feel

hope you enjoy it

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Really nice. Chuck D has a really sweet touch! That's another one of those cuts that make me think a nice Tele is all you need, lol!

User Info Menu

Really enjoyed that.

User Info Menu

Nice tribute! I prefer this one. There are countless YouTube videos on the song. The song itself is timeless because it’s as if we’ve not made progress on so many of the same issues. It’s got to be one of the top 10 songs ever written. Even though it’s simplistic in nature. James Jameson laying down while playing the bass line is one of the memorable feats of the recording. Didn’t Marvin play some drum parts on the album as well?

User Info Menu

Sweet! That's another one of those cuts that make me think a nice 335-type is all you need...

User Info Menu

Remember too that Berry Gordy, the head of Motown, refused to release this recording for some 3-4 months. He didn’t like it, and called it “too jazzy” for motown’s audience.

After recording his earth shattering part on the recording, James Jameson returned home and told his wife the recording he’d just worked on “a masterpiece.” James per his wife was never known to speak about his work.

At this time Marvin Gaye had gone on strike and refused to work until his album was released. Gordy was eventually overruled by several other execs within Motown who voted to release the album.

100k albums were released and they sold out in the first week of the albums release. The first year of its release the album sold over 2 million albums for Motown making it one of the highest selling albums ever, an Rolling Stone listed it number 6 on their all time top 500. Well, Gordy was wrong about the public and what they would accept. What’s Going On would become but another album of many in the legacy of the great Marvin Gaye.

User Info Menu

Seems to me that youtube player macuser stays the most faithful to the original spirit of the tune. Here’s his recording from 12 years ago. He’s more of a jazz player than anyone I’ve heard. macuser is still recording for youtube and has a ton of jazz and stylized pop recordings on youtube, some from Wes and other jazz artists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    After recording his earth shattering part on the recording, James Jameson returned home and told his wife the recording he’d just worked on “a masterpiece.” James per his wife was never known to speak about his work.
    I'd love to hear an isolation track of that bass part!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I'd love to hear an isolation track of that bass part!
    simple request answered. It was mentioned that Jamerson briefly looked at the sheet and said okay.

User Info Menu

Outasight! You da' man, 2B! Thanks!

User Info Menu

And here’s a transcription of Jameson’s recording complete with tab.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Seems to me that youtube player macuser stays the most faithful to the original spirit of the tune. Here’s his recording from 12 years ago. He’s more of a jazz player than anyone I’ve heard. macuser is still recording for youtube and has a ton of jazz and stylized pop recordings on youtube, some from Wes and other jazz artists.
    the guitarist is Joe Washington...(is joe posting as macuser.?)..according to Pam Washington in the comments section Joe passed away recently,,,

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    the guitarist is Joe Washington...(is joe posting as macuser.?)..according to Pam Washington in the comments section Joe passed away recently,,,
    Yes, that was him. No way! What a shame! He wasn’t that old. I wonder if it was anything related to covid?