The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hear Stevie Ray Vaughan’s Isolated “Pride and Joy” Guitar Track | GuitarPlayer

>>>>Stevie Ray Vaughan’s rhythm playing was as strong as his lead work, a fact that is evident on “Pride and Joy,” the first single from Texas Flood, his 1983 debut album with Double Trouble.“Pride and Joy” is a classic Texas shuffle written in a 12-bar blues arrangement. Vaughan performs the song in E with his guitar tuned a half step lower to sound in the key of E flat.
    Throughout the song, he alternates between muted chord chops and full ringing chords that he fingers to allow the maximum number of open strings. The dynamic variation is key to the strong rhythmic foundation and overall excitement.<<<<

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

He had an impressive tone, and he played with a lot of authority. it's one thing to play loud, it's another to play with some force.

A lot of blues or rock guitarists are good rhythm players or single-line players, but not too many can do this kind of shuffle-beat stuff that well. It really fills out the space on the songs, where a lot of bands would have 2-3-4 rhythm players and overdubs.

Also it sure sounds like a great Strat through a Fender (?Twin Reverb) tone. Not much like that jangly sound.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Doctor Jeff;1057341
    A lot of blues or rock guitarists are good rhythm players or single-line players, but not too many can do this kind of shuffle-beat stuff that well. It really fills out the space on the songs, where a lot of bands would have 2-3-4 rhythm players and overdubs.
    .[/QUOTE]

Stevie to me is much closer to Hendrix than to Clapton. Clapton was only in a trio for a short time and hasn't looked back since (AFAIK). Stevie was not only a good rhythm player, he had great rhythmic drive. Johnny Winter did a lot of trio work and could play rhythm but when he solos, the rhythm playing tends to stop. Stevie kept the rhythm going in his solos. Soul, blues, and R&B guitarists tend to focus on that (Billy Butler, Bill Jennings, Cornell Dupree, Steve Cropper) and that's always appealed to me.

User Info Menu

Wow, really edifying! I wish more of these isolated-track things were available. I think George Martin did it with some of the Beatle's stuff - like McCartney's vocal on Sgt, Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - a few years back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Wow, really edifying! I wish more of these isolated-track things were available. I think George Martin did it with some of the Beatle's stuff - like McCartney's vocal on Sgt, Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - a few years back.
    The isolated tracks and demos and such are usually always interesting and edifying, but they are rarely a substitute for the finished product.

I listened to a bunch of demos from George Harrison yesterday, and fairly recently listened to all the White Album demos and alternate takes. Most of them I don't really need to listen to on a regular basis.

There's a reason most great recordings end up the way they are, and sometimes there are perfect takes that require little tweaking in production, and sometimes it's the opposite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    I do too! I did a YouTube search and found some, mostly hard rock / metal things. (Not that there's anything wrong with it...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Stevie to me is much closer to Hendrix than to Clapton. Clapton was only in a trio for a short time and hasn't looked back since (AFAIK). Stevie was not only a good rhythm player, he had great rhythmic drive. Johnny Winter did a lot of trio work and could play rhythm but when he solos, the rhythm playing tends to stop. Stevie kept the rhythm going in his solos. Soul, blues, and R&B guitarists tend to focus on that (Billy Butler, Bill Jennings, Cornell Dupree, Steve Cropper) and that's always appealed to me.
    I agree, and I think there's a strain of Southern boogie that gets in there--Stevie and Jimi from Texas, Steve Cropper from Missouri and Memphis.