The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Great sensitivity and thoroughly enjoyable

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Very nice indeed. But I wish that guy on the left would stop peering at the music like he'd never seen it before!
    That guy on the left is Royce Campbell and is one of the finest jazz guitarists out there. If he's peering at the music, there is a good reason.

20 years touring with Henry Mancini, a gracious but relentless conductor, has made Royce a very attentive and careful musician. He's worth listening to. In fact, he is among my favorite 3 or 4 living jazz guitarists.

User Info Menu

Pure poetry, Chris! Clean, rounded, lush tone with the innate and intimate lyricism of a natural musician. Sheets of sound? Less is better. Wonderful playing. Thanks for the ride . . . . . Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Very nice indeed. But I wish that guy on the left would stop peering at the music like he'd never seen it before!

Hi, R,
    It is very common in studio work to never have seen the manuscript before playing. Ergo, the necessity to read music well. And, many times, when money is an issue, you have to read it cold and do your best the first time. That's why studio guys are usually the best players ,in my opinion, and most live in NY, Cali, and Vegas where they can find work. However, who's recording much quality today? I guess YT is replacing the clubs. And the beat goes on . . . Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

From posts on Royce’s FB page I have got the impression that he has had some pretty serious health issues, so it’s great to see him playing like this with Chris.

User Info Menu

lawson, Marinero -

Thanks for the info, I've deleted.

Apologies, I didn't know him. I've since looked him up. Quite a career and discography. There are current vids on You Tube and he doesn't look a well man.

As he's playing single string against a backing, I could probably pick up some soloing tips!

User Info Menu

Royce has had some health issues but is still a formidable player. I've seen him live several times, guesting with a house band, and his playing is so clean, rarely a mistake or misstep, but clearly improvising and interacting with the band. One of the strongest melodic senses of any player I've heard. He has a stack of albums that feature contrafacts of standards, and they are superb.

User Info Menu

Royce and Chris are about as good as it gets. I have met Royce on several occasions and had the opportunity to play with him once. I played upright bass because I didn't want the extra pressure of trading choruses with him on guitar, even though he is incredibly generous and supportive.

I asked about lessons. He told me that he would take me on, but I never followed through.

He is a superb player and a great guy.

User Info Menu

They released an album called "The Campbell / Whiteman Project" earlier this year. It is fantastic—such a nice live sound—and available for purchase and/or streaming on Apple Music, Spotify, Amazon, etc.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know what type of pickups Royce Campbell uses? His tone is my favorite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs
    Does anyone know what type of pickups Royce Campbell uses? His tone is my favorite.
    He is active on facebook (posts ingenious puns all the time!) so you could probably ask him there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs
    On his L5 I'm sure it's just the stock pickups.