The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Look forward to watching this when I have the time. Not a bassist but I love Ray Brown. (Being a Herb Ellis fan, I have a LOT of records with Ray Brown playing the bass.)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Look forward to watching this when I have the time. Not a bassist but I love Ray Brown. (Being a Herb Ellis fan, I have a LOT of records with Ray Brown playing the bass.)
    This is but 1 part of 3. Part 2 and 3 were never uploaded because these were on VHS. Ray's contribution on this is short unfortunately, but his point is well made. However, bassist John Clayton has much more to lay out as a foundation here on Part 1. I'm not certain of it, but I believe these recordings are from workshops of the Port Townsend jazz festival, which has been running, I believe, since the middle to late 80's. Each year a workshop precedes the festival. Ray Brown took part in many of these festivals.

Seattle has been very fortunate to have had a major jazz festival that's been running for decades. And the endless knowledge shared by pro musicians to youth over the years has been a jewel in the crown for the great NW.

John Clayton has been the artistic director for that event for some time.

From Jazz Port Townsend, Dave Stryker

Jazz Port Townsend – The Workshop | Centrum
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 08-22-2020 at 10:08 PM.

User Info Menu

Katie Thiroux plays bass on the Stryker video above. She's a great player - though it takes her a minute or so to really get into the groove in this video, after which she is back to her usual self. Wonderful playing, and I signed up for her course on DiscoverDoubleBass.com.

I've seen the Ray Brown video before - he was The Boss, perfect intonation with great swinging lines. John Clayton is rather amazing too. Good thread!

User Info Menu

How about the great Eddie Gomez? Here's a wonderful video of the Bill Evans Trio playing Nardis, and the bass solo is incredible. Nice interview with the band at the start too.

Eddie Gomez got me started on bass. I’m a huge Chick Corea fan. In the late 70’s Chick’s bassist was none other but Eddie Gomez. They did both the Mad Hatter and Friends lp’s in the late 70’s. Those albums are groundbreaking.

Eddie’s style is very unique!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    How about the great Eddie Gomez? Here's a wonderful video of the Bill Evans Trio playing Nardis, and the bass solo is incredible. Nice interview with the band at the start too.

Excellent video - thanks for posting! Evans is the apotheosis of introspection, Gomez's playing is precise and his intonation is flawless, and Marty Morrel's brushwork is crisp and driving yet not overbearing. let me add it is refreshing to hear such a great mix on a video!

User Info Menu

Yes, k, that is one amazing video. I can't believe the level of musicianship on show from all three musicians. Incredible.

User Info Menu

Ray Brown and Eddie Gomez. Woo hoo!

I've been an upright bass player for 50 years. My two favorite players over that time have been Brown and Gomez. Those guys were monsters.

Doesn't get better, IMO.