The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    rip julian bream

one of my fave clips...meeting stravinsky!

cheers
    i have to say I always feel a bit sorry for Stravinsky in that clip

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Re: the clip with Stravinsky, Bream says he really embarrassed him self with this meeting...

User Info Menu

The amount of quality new music written for him was amazing

User Info Menu

Just for commissioning Walton to write the Bagatelles, he made a priceless contribution to the repertoire.
    RIP, Maestro.

User Info Menu

From the first time I heard him, on TV, I always thought he was the most musical and the least mechanistic classical guitarist I had ever heard. It sounded as though he was bringing forth the music rather than reciting it.

User Info Menu

A bucanneering character who would have shone whatever he did but we were blessed that he chose music. Still have the tickets for his Belfast concert, which unfortunately was cancelled. His albums of modern classical, often self commissioned are a joy.

User Info Menu

Here's the book that taught Bream harmony (free download):

Eddie Lang s Fingerboard Harmony for Guitar - Free Download PDF

User Info Menu

RIP, Julian Bream. Often wondered where he would have gone in jazz if he had stayed in or doubled on jazz guitar. Julian Bream gave classical guitar a much more approachable face than the saturnine Segovia.

Also gave a few Hauser-style luthiers a good living by picking their guitars. "Julian Bream picked my Hauser copy" was an instant entrée to a filled order book for years to come.

User Info Menu

Sad news.
    I never heard he played Django stuff.
    He was my favorite classic player and Stravinsky is my favorite composer.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

He was funny and loose as well, he loved a drink and a "natter". I was fortunate to spend some time with him whenever he played in Boston, generally Jordan Hall, a great little venue where he and John Williams gave some of their greatest live performances. Julian was talking to the audience about his lute, and called playing in the high positions "mountaineering", cracked us up. Truly great musician, beyond a "guitar player".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Here's the book that taught Bream harmony (free download):

Eddie Lang s Fingerboard Harmony for Guitar - Free Download PDF
    Without wishing to change the thread, I hadn't seen the Eddie Lang book before; guitar seems to be a very complicated instrument

User Info Menu

I was just listening to the BBC ‘In Tune’ radio programme in which John Williams paid tribute to Julian Bream. He said that a few years ago he persuaded the jazz guitarist John Etheridge to go and pay Julian a visit at his home. Apparently they had a great time discussing jazz guitar, Django, etc. and Julian really enjoyed himself. That was nice to hear.

I was amused by another moment on the programme, it was from an interview a few years back when the presenter Sean Rafferty visited Bream and remarked that he had a beautiful lute hanging on the wall, but with its face turned to the wall. ‘Is that because the lute is in mourning, since you don’t play any more?’ asked Sean. ‘Oh no, it’s because that’s the only way round I could hang it on the wall!’ said Bream.

User Info Menu

I listened to that broadcast on Soundcloud. Quite amusing at times.

User Info Menu

You can also listen to Julian Bream on Desert Island Disks archive, cheers, si

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I was just listening to the BBC ‘In Tune’ radio programme in which John Williams paid tribute to Julian Bream. He said that a few years ago he persuaded the jazz guitarist John Etheridge to go and pay Julian a visit at his home. Apparently they had a great time discussing jazz guitar, Django, etc. and Julian really enjoyed himself. That was nice to hear.
    john etheridge is underrated top player..he took over for holdsworth in soft machine and did a great job emulating holdsworths fearsome legato style...and at the same time he'd tour with stephane grappelli doing gypsy jazz...wonderful eclectic player much like bream...makes sense they'd hit it off!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    john etheridge is underrated top player..he took over for holdsworth in soft machine and did a great job emulating holdsworths fearsome legato style...and at the same time he'd tour with stephane grappelli doing gypsy jazz...wonderful eclectic player much like bream...makes sense they'd hit it off!

cheers
    yes John is great, I’ve seen him a few times.

User Info Menu

etheridge- (frail) bream-john williams-gary ryan

cheers

User Info Menu

What a lovely photo!

User Info Menu

Great picture of Bream and Django from his FB page:

RIP Julian Bream-fa99a44b-0a2c-4b66-96f1-1cc0b3d8f5c7-jpg

User Info Menu

Apple podcasts have some stuff on Bream - I just found these in the ‘podcasts’ app on my iPad (first time I’ve ever looked at it!)

RIP Julian Bream-24a37a81-a8ad-48c0-8d78-857e0dddf319-jpg

User Info Menu

The Economist published a very nice obituary in this week's edition.