The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

We've just lost Julian Bream, whom many (self included) rate the greatest classical guitar player of the 20th Century, and his lute playing was hugely influential too. But he was first attracted to the guitar by listening to Django Reinhardt:

He also anticipated Shakti!

He will be remembered in the classical-guitar world for his commissioning of new repertoire pieces from great composers, one such being William Walton, as this delightful video shows:

Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 08-14-2020 at 07:32 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Sad news, he was my favourite classical guitarist. I also loved his lute records, they inspired me to buy the complete Dowland book by Poulton/Lam and learn to read lute tablature (on the guitar).

In fact it was seeing Bream on the telly when I was about 10 that made me take up the guitar in the first place.

User Info Menu

Sad news, I grew up with his recordings

While the bar on the technique of classical guitar may have been raised since, for me he was perhaps the greatest musician ever to play the instrument.

He could swing too!

User Info Menu

As it happens I was just watching his BBC Masterclasses recently, it made me pick up the classical guitar again. I used to play some of the Villa-Lobos pieces, so I just got a used copy of his Villa-Lobos CD yesterday!

Here are the Masterclasses (and a full concert), probably available in UK only though:

BBC - Julian Bream Masterclass - Available now

User Info Menu

Oh no !

We knew the day would not be too far ahead but it would still be a blow and it is.

He contributed so much to the guitar world.

I was enthralled with his wonderful interpretive skills and his championing of new
    composition and virtually spearheading the early music movement and the lute in particular.

Rest easily Julian
    You'll be long remembered.

User Info Menu

Wow, very sad! I saw him perform a couple times, and he was always inspiring! RIP.

User Info Menu

He was my favourite classical guitarist, too. The BBC masterclasses are a gem. Sad to see him go, albeit he lived to be 87 and couldn't play any more. Thank you for the videos, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    We've just lost Julian Bream, whom many (self included) rate the greatest classical guitar player of the 20th Century, and his lute playing was hugely influential too. But he was first attracted to the guitar by listening to Django Reinhardt:

I saw him in NYC in the '70s. Enjoyable, impressive. I had a few of his albums. From what relatively little I know about classical guitarists, he struck me as the primo virtuoso. I will check out his connection with Django.

User Info Menu

Very sad news indeed. My fave for sure, although never got to see him.

I remember hearing Fandanguillo for the first time while driving to work, from his Tribute To Segovia album. It was practically mesmerizing to me, as I was not familiar with the modern sound of 20th century guitar repertoire (beyond Rodrigo that is). I had to listen to the whole thing before turning off the engine and going into the building. Also loved his Granada and Capricho Arabe.

R.I.P. Mr Bream.

User Info Menu

I saw him 3 times. He always started off a little ‘rough at the edges’, a few mistakes etc., but after a couple of pieces everything seemed to go up a gear, that magical sound of his would come through, and from that point on, it was an unforgettable experience.

Another good thing about Bream, he would often talk to the audience and tell them something about each piece before he played it, there was nothing of the ‘aloof maestro’ about him. A great communicator.

User Info Menu

Sad day. I took my wife to a Bream concert 45 years ago. Bream played guitar and lute. It was the most moving guitar concert I had/have ever seen. He was the master.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop

I just saw the clip. He was fingerpicking, logical for him. Does anybody of note regularly play gypsy jazz without a pick?
    Last edited by Phil59; 08-15-2020 at 10:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Semper Bream!

He opened so many doors.

User Info Menu

Also, important to note, he originated from the correct side of the river.

User Info Menu

He was often criticized by "cork sniffers" for playing the lute with guitar technique. Who cares! As long the the result is great!

I remember an interview where he said if people are driving in a car, and listening to music, any music, then they're not REALLY listening to the music because you can't do both. I thought that was quite profound.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Well these are my favorites:
    fluid and expressive playing.RIP.

User Info Menu

Bream was among those who inspired teenager me to put down the steel strings and begin
    manicuring my nails.

I saw Julian and John Williams when they toured the US making this album. Symphony Hall
    was across the street from the conservatory I was attending. Oddly, the thing I remember so
    many years later is the comment Julian made about the draft across the stage that kept
    trying to sweep the score from their shared music stand. "A tremendous gale", was how he
    described it to the audience.

Thank you, and rest in peace Maestro.

RIP Julian Bream-breamwilliams-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Also, important to note, he originated from the correct side of the river.
    Is that like how Manhattanites feel about the other four boros/boroughs--except in reverse?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Is that like how Manhattanites feel about the other four boros/boroughs--except in reverse?
    haha yes

User Info Menu

I still have my autographed "Dowland" album. His recital the following night was brilliant. First set lute , second set guitar. There's a great documentary out there as well. His album "20th Century Guitar" was a groundbreaking recording of mostly compositions he commissioned from various composers. Opened the guitar repertoire from the usual overplayed warhorses.

User Info Menu

I wore out my copy of the "Julian Bream Plays Bach" LP decades ago. A true master. Such beautiful touch and tone!

RIP, Julian.

Added later: I never did understand the cover photo. Was one tennis player supposed to be Bream and one supposed to be Bach? And if so, then why are they playing against each other?

RIP Julian Bream-img_4641-jpg
    Last edited by Flat; 08-16-2020 at 01:40 AM.

User Info Menu

rip julian bream

one of my fave clips...meeting stravinsky!

cheers