The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

To me, guitarist, Eric Gale was the magic on Grover Washington's cover of "Mr. Magic". His playing is just enough, very tasty and never too much. And what an interesting solo. He reminds me of a sax player more than a guitarist on this track.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Kenny Loggins-vocals, Bob James-Fender Rhodes, Eric Gale Guitar

I've always thought the guitar on this is about as tasteful as it gets:

User Info Menu

just recently posted an eric gale playin soul jazz early in his career with red holloway in listening to now thread...

he and cornell dupree were in stuff...who worked on saturday night live and backed a whole lot of acts...like john lennon, paul simon, joe cocker etc

cheers

User Info Menu

Eric Gale has always epitomized, for me, the three Ts- touch, tone, and taste. Guitarist extraordinaire!

User Info Menu

For a moment I thought the thread was about Eric Gales! I like both of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    For a moment I thought the thread was about Eric Gales! I like both of them!
    I'm also a fan of Eric Gales! His was the last concert I attended before the pandemic lock down. Eric Gales plays upside down and backwards and is one of today's best rock/blues/RnB players.

And how ironic that two guitarists of different generations would have (almost) the same name.

User Info Menu

Eric Gale, Eric Gales; David Gilmour, David Gilmore. There oughta be a law!

I was always fond of Eric Gale's playing on Paul Simon's One Trick Pony, like on the tune Late in the Evening. Such a delicious tone!

User Info Menu

He did a ton of studio work and was a master of the understatement. I love his laid back solo at 2:55 on Bob James' album cut of "Angela", the theme song from the tv show Taxi.

User Info Menu

Often listen to "In A Jazz Tradition" when driving. It's a Ron Carter / Eric Gale date with the very funky Lonnie Smith, Grady Tate, and Houston Person. Brilliant stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    He did a ton of studio work and was a master of the understatement. I love his laid back solo at 2:55 on Bob James' album cut of "Angela", the theme song from the tv show Taxi.

I haven’t heard that solo in years. It reminds me of BB King. Lovely.

AKA

User Info Menu

In post #3, Eric Gale's association with the band, Stuff, is mentioned.
    Here is a video of Stuff that is enjoyable.

After watching that, I found the inexpensive DVD.
    Eric Gale-stuff-jpg

Cornell Dupree - guitar
    Gordon Edwards - Bass
    Steve Gadd - drums
    Eric Gale - guitar
    Richard Tee - Keyboards
    Guest artist - Odetta vocals on "Oh Happy Days"
    Richard

User Info Menu

I still have the first lp of Stuff and Ginseng Woman of Eric Gale from the 70s.

User Info Menu

Eric is an example of a classic R@B/Funk/Soul guitarist ,similar to other players in the genre, whose style could be heard in all the small bars, lounges, and taverns on Chicago's West /South side during the 60's,70's and early 80's. Players of this ilk always provided a good groove and never overplay. I remember the late Capt. Jack McDuff, jazz organist, who played frequently at Chicago's Jazz Showcase who, later in his career, used mostly talented R@B guitarists in his trio/quartets. I believe the reason was that, generally, they didn't overplay and provided excellent comping. However, his band "Heatin' System" featured the young George Benson where Jack was credited with giving GB his first break in the business.. Check out the guitar solo in the first video from 5:02 to 6:42(R@B) in comparison to GB's solo(Jazz) in the second earlier recording. Play live! . . . Marinero

Last edited by Marinero; 08-11-2020 at 01:36 PM. Reason: deletion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

Sounds almost like a phaser he's using at times there. Beautiful tone, however he's getting it

User Info Menu

yeah its a phaser..tho he doesnt have it set for a big sweep....just enough to "color" his tone

Guitar Player interiew with gale september 1979.

eg has Super 400, also has an L5. Prefers light string
    Dean Markley .010 to .046 with a high action. A Medium gauge
    triangular pick, a Music Man Amp with four 10" speakers
    & a phaser

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic16
    In post #3, Eric Gale's association with the band, Stuff, is mentioned.
    Here is a video of Stuff that is enjoyable.

After watching that, I found the inexpensive DVD.
    Eric Gale-stuff-jpg

Cornell Dupree - guitar
    Gordon Edwards - Bass
    Steve Gadd - drums
    Eric Gale - guitar
    Richard Tee - Keyboards
    Guest artist - Odetta vocals on "Oh Happy Days"
    Richard
    I just watched the Stuff at Montreaux video on a rainy day last week. I didn't even miss the sunshine!

User Info Menu

A bit of a misdirect, I know as this thread is about Gale but it reminded me of this other version of jazz players playing a TV theme.