The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Listen to Jennings today, someone whom I really never paid any attention to before. To my ears, he sounds like another in that long line of Christian-influenced players but with a touch of the Grant Green style blueness and great patience in letting his lines slowly spin out without worrying about be-bop virtuosity.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jennings is a favorite. I learned about him through Duke Robillard, who idolizes him.
    He used to be called "the OTHER guitarist from Indianapolis." (The other one being Wes.)
    He did a lot of studio work.

Among his best-known recording is "Big Boy." Classic solo. Lots of players over the years have learned it note-for-note. Not the hardest thing to do but his feel was great he never lose the groove.

User Info Menu

"Alexandria, Virginia" was more on the jazzy (swing) side.

User Info Menu

long time jennings fan...bluesy soul jazzer...played with brother jack mcduff a lot

so many great yet unheralded guitar players of that ilk..were on many sessions but still relatively unknown

jennings played his lefty guitar strung upside down...like dick dale...the low E was on the bottom

cheers

User Info Menu

He played on a ton of r & b dates back in the day, was in Willis Jackson's band and appears on many of Gatortail's lps, before a teenaged Pat Martino replaced him. Like a lot of cats back then like Don Patterson was unfortunately addicted to codeine.
    His brother Al played guitar and vibes and is on the Glide On lp
    That record and his other Prestige record Enough Said cost me a pretty penny in my record hunting days-but I had to have them!.

User Info Menu

forum member and popular west coast jump player, tommy harkenrider with jennings tutorial

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    forum member and popular west coast jump player, tommy harkenrider with jennings tutorial
    [/video]
    Thanks for that. Tommy's the real deal. I remember his tutorial on Tiny Grimes. Hadn't seen this one.

Fabulous playing and terrific groove.

User Info Menu

Duke Robillard doing "Glide On" with his jazz trio.

Bill Jennings was a big influence of Duke's own playing.