Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Hey,

    I’ve been transcribing BK’s fantastic solo on this version of On Green Dolphin Street off The Poll Winners album. Just curious though because the recording is off key, somewhere between C and D flat, although closer to C.

    This transcription puts the key at D flat but is it probably more likely to be C as that’s a) a more natural key for stringed instruments - bass and guitar in this case - and b) it’s the original key of the song.

    In which case is this some kind of error when the track was mastered? Did the tape get sped up when they mastered or recorded? It’s interesting because all the other tracks are in tune.

    Any insights would be gratefully received.


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's definitely skewed! Could be any reason. But what matters isn't whether it's in strict concert, it's whether it's in tune with itself.

    If your problem is playing along with it re-tune your guitar (ugh) or download the audio and speed it a bit into Db with a suitable application.
    Thanks, I can use the software to get into a correct pitch, but I’m not sure whether that’s C or D flat? The transcription on YouTube is good but I was using my ears anyway, just wondering whether I should be playing in the key of C or D flat. The fingerings could end up being different.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Sorry, I deleted and edited that:

    'It's definitely skewed! Could be any reason. The Spotify version is exactly the same so I suspect it's what the studio put out - i.e. it's the master tape.

    If your problem is playing along with it re-tune your guitar (ugh) or download the audio and speed it a bit into Db with a suitable application. Or write it out in a music program and it'll play at the right pitch.'

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Iced Tea
    Hey,

    I’ve been transcribing BK’s fantastic solo on this version of On Green Dolphin Street off The Poll Winners album. Just curious though because the recording is off key, somewhere between C and D flat, although closer to C.

    This transcription puts the key at D flat but is it probably more likely to be C as that’s a) a more natural key for stringed instruments - bass and guitar in this case - and b) it’s the original key of the song.

    In which case is this some kind of error when the track was mastered? Did the tape get sped up when they mastered or recorded? It’s interesting because all the other tracks are in tune.

    Any insights would be gratefully received.

    I'm glad that you raised this issue , I recently downloaded this transcription and thought it was odd
    putting the tune in Dflat, The usual keys for it are Cmajor or Ebmajor, and you are right ,the guitar
    sounds off key, I don't know the key BK played in as I have'nt got a recording . If someone could
    enlighten me i would be grateful too.

    Silverfoxx

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    It could be that they played it weirdly off-key - or the tapes went wrong - or they thought it was too slow in C and tweaked it a bit - and then the transcriber decided it was Db. In which case the fingerings would change to play it in C.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Iced Tea -

    If you've got the software put it in C anyway! Why give yourself a headache?

    (At least you have the basic notes in front of you)

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Iced Tea -

    If you've got the software put it in C anyway! Why give yourself a headache?

    (At least you have the basic notes in front of you)
    Yeah I have been! Definitely don’t like headaches when I’m transcribing. I wasn’t using the transcription from YouTube, I had already transcribed most of it in C, just saw the video and wondered why they’d put it in D flat and also what might have cause the recording to be so out of tune.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    We don't know

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    More than likely as it’s a trio recording with no piano, Barney was a little sharp in his tuning and the bass went with him. I would assume he’s playing in C.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Barney had a great ear. I can't imagine he was out of tune. There are too many things that could happen in post production that easily explain this problem - from a faulty tape recorder to a mastering error, etc. I work in video and synch/speed issues happen - even with digital technology. With analog, see above.: )

  12. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Barney had a great ear. I can't imagine he was out of tune. There are too many things that could happen in post production that easily explain this problem - from a faulty tape recorder to a mastering error, etc. I work in video and synch/speed issues happen - even with digital technology. With analog, see above.: )
    I think that’s most likely too. That also reminds me of the famous Charlie Christian recording of Topsy (Swing To Bop). The original version that was released in the 50s was just taken from the raw tape recording and there wasn’t any attempt to clean up the recording. It’s clearly in the key of B flat minor. However later releases used a remastered version that had removed some of the background noise and audience clapping and that version is more like B minor.

    Here’s the original.



    The cleaned up version.