The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Reading this now and it's well done. Great musician, interesting guy, who tells his story in a creative way.

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Tight-My.../dp/0316485608

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What are your favorite Booker T & the MGs songs?
    I have many but will start with "Time Is Tight," as that's the name Booker T. Jones chose for the title of his autobiography.

A live version from 1970.

User Info Menu

old fave...

hip hug-her

their 2nd biggest seller after green onions, as well

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 08-07-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Nostalgia.

User Info Menu

There's not a dud in their catalog, but Time is Tight is the high water mark.

Book is great.

User Info Menu

It is much clearer to me now than it was when I was a kid how much their music influenced me . I always liked it--how could you not? But I did not realize it would be a touchstone for much of what I liked later on and wanted to do myself.

Great grooves, catchy heads, and cool solos that kept the groove alive.

User Info Menu

always been huge steve cropper fan..the epitome of taste..yet soulful to the max- STAX!

he used fender esquire on green onions, but a tele soon after..on all the early classics....his preferred amp was a fender harvard!!!!...take that princeton!

great interview with steve @-

Steve Cropper | Vintage Guitar(R) magazine

otis redding 'n steve

cheers

User Info Menu

Steve says in that interview that a big influence on him was Lowman Pauling of the "5" Royales. (Why is the 5 between two quotation marks?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Steve says in that interview that a big influence on him was Lowman Pauling of the "5" Royales. (Why is the 5 between two quotation marks?)
    It seems there where 6 of them.

They would change their name to the "5" Royales in 1952, although they would, confusingly, remain a six-man outfit for a while; the quotes around the 5 in their billing were designed to alleviate some of the confusion

User Info Menu

One of my favorite Isaac Hayes interviews was with NPR’s Terry Gross. Hayes recounts the story of at the height of Booker T and MG’s popularity Stax sent out Hayes and other musicians as Booker T to cover concerts on one coast as the real band toured the other coast.

“That ain’t Booker T, he ain’t got no hair!”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman

“That ain’t Booker T, he ain’t got no hair!”
    Wear a hat! ;o)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Reading this now and it's well done. Great musician, interesting guy, who tells his story in a creative way.

Sorry! Something went wrong!
    Just got the audiobook version . The little musical phrases for each chapter in the pdf are a nice touch.