The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not visible until about 8:20, anyone recognize or know him? Just a bb fan wondering.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

looks like Jack Wilkins

User Info Menu

I never knew JW played with BR's big band. I knew he played with his small group at Buddy's Place, but never saw any BR recordings with JW on it, but that was the case with a lot of the guitarists Buddy used.
    One friend of mine toured with him for a period of time, but never showed up on any recordings.

A very underrated guy that BR used was Walt Namuth, a player from Baltimore, who was on the "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" recording. I've liked everything I've heard him do with BR, and the few recordings available he made with Baltimore groups.
    Anyone have any records he made on his own, outside of Buddy's band? I remember that there was a recording he made at a popular jazz club in Baltimore with a good tenor player that was being offered on Amazon a while ago. I think I'll head over there now and check it out.

User Info Menu

walt namuth

cheers

User Info Menu

duo w/Buddy Rich on vocal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I never knew JW played with BR's big band. I knew he played with his small group at Buddy's Place, but never saw any BR recordings with JW on it, but that was the case with a lot of the guitarists Buddy used.
    One friend of mine toured with him for a period of time, but never showed up on any recordings.

A very underrated guy that BR used was Walt Namuth, a player from Baltimore, who was on the "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" recording. I've liked everything I've heard him do with BR, and the few recordings available he made with Baltimore groups.
    Anyone have any records he made on his own, outside of Buddy's band? I remember that there was a recording he made at a popular jazz club in Baltimore with a good tenor player that was being offered on Amazon a while ago. I think I'll head over there now and check it out.

there's this one though I don't know where you'd find it.
    Merchandise - Baltimore Jazz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    there's this one though I don't know where you'd find it.
    Merchandise - Baltimore Jazz
    Yes, that's the one I was talking about, featuring a good tenor sax player, Mickey Fields, who was a local guy. I remember being able to download some cuts from Amazon, but I couldn't find the downloads when I just went there. He also recorded with Ethel Ennis.