The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi all, John Pisano is a friend of mine, and I am sure several others here know him as well. Recently John was gracious enough to sit down with me over Zoom and talk about his life in music. This is just part 1 but I will be posting the other half soon.

It's a real gift to be able to sit down with a treasure like John and listen to him tell these stories from his early musical life, stints with Chico Hamilton, Sergio Mendes and others, his relationships with guys like George Van Eps, Joe Pass, Peggy Lee and more. Enjoy the video, I basically just let John do all the talking and only chimed in to attempt to steer the flow a bit.

Above all, thank you John Pisano for taking the time to share your history with us all!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'll be coming back to this later when I get a minute, thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

always great to see maestro pisano! loved him from chico hamilton band on..across from dolphy..

& billy bean!

joe pass' right hand man

marty milners left hand in sweet smell of success

thanks for that

old caffe trieste window seat regular

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 07-26-2020 at 10:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Excellent stuff, looking forward to more!

User Info Menu

Love that line of Johnny Smith's: "That's my bag of mistakes."

User Info Menu

What a privilege to hear all of these stories. Can’t wait for part 2. I never knew JP was in the Air Force.

User Info Menu

Fantastic, thanks for putting this together and sharing on here

User Info Menu

Hi guys, here is Part 2 of my conversation with the great John Pisano. I hope you enjoy it!

User Info Menu

good stuff...thanks again!!

here's the two masters referred to above - john pisano & ted greene

when i fall in love-

cheers

User Info Menu

john pisano, early on, with chico hamilton quintet..he replaced jim hall!...with paul horn and fred katz

chanel #5

cheers

User Info Menu

When he was talking about Billy Bean, the group that he and everybody else first heard him with was Charlie Ventura's group. He knew it was an Italian guy, so he said it was Buddy DeFranco, but he knew that was wrong.
    Thanks for doing these great interviews. I don't know if they were done in one long session, or separately, but if you do them separately, could you get him to talk about his time with Eric Dolphy, in Chico Hamilton's group.
    Also, something on Dennis Budimir, the only other guitarist to work regularly with Dolphy besides JP, would be interesting as well.

User Info Menu

obscure, but interesting cd release of tapes recorded in late 50's with these great friends/players

here's clip w billy bean soloing..(great)

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    When he was talking about Billy Bean, the group that he and everybody else first heard him with was Charlie Ventura's group. He knew it was an Italian guy, so he said it was Buddy DeFranco, but he knew that was wrong.
    Thanks for doing these great interviews. I don't know if they were done in one long session, or separately, but if you do them separately, could you get him to talk about his time with Eric Dolphy, in Chico Hamilton's group.
    Also, something on Dennis Budimir, the only other guitarist to work regularly with Dolphy besides JP, would be interesting as well.
    Hi, glad you liked the videos! Most of it was done in one long session but I will hopefully keep getting together with John because he has so many amazing stories that we really need at least a few more of these!

User Info Menu

Finished watching these last night. Thanks for sharing!!
    He is a "regular guy" with a tremendous resume in music.
    I've taken a workshop with John and Jeanne, and they are engaging, encouraging, and talented.

User Info Menu

And here's Part 3 of my conversation with the legendary John Pisano! This is a collection of leftover video snippets we had from two separate conversations that were just too good not to share. I think you will enjoy this one as much or more than the previous ones!

Thank you to John Pisano for your time and permission to record this and share it with the world! Don't forget to check out Part 1 and Part 2!

User Info Menu

pt.3..es 175- d'angelico story is classic!!!

listenin to ellington suite- chico dolphy pisano version now...there is also another version of ellington suite covers by chico with jim hall, buddy collette and paul horn

good stuff..kudos...best to great john pisano!

cheers

User Info Menu

I haven't had time to watch but does he talk about going to his locker to retrieve his guitars and things from his A&M locker yrs after the Tijuana Brass days?

User Info Menu

I watched the 3 episodes. Great stuff. Another person John played with was over his right shoulder hanging on the wall. Diana Krall, The Look of Love album and live in Paris dvd. That dvd probably sold more than the Herb Albert albums.