The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Teddy Bunn is seldom mentioned in discussions about influential early jazz guitarists but he definitely contributed to the instrument's lineage and vocabulary. This record is almost an encyclopedia of licks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I first heard him with the Spirits of Rhythm. I have a CD that he recorded under his own name in the 1950s of standards---very nice tone. Here are a couple of older cuts I found on youtube.

User Info Menu

His solo King Porter Stomp:

User Info Menu

Sooo swinging

User Info Menu

i've posted about teddy bunn often on this forum...i'm big fan...

here he is with charlie christian and bassist slam stewart...three of the all time best

cheers

User Info Menu

here's a fave bunn track- posted it before, but always good...jacksons nook

jacksons nook was a small restaurant in san francisco that specialized in Caribbean chicken dishes, where the musicians would go to eat after gigs and invariably wind up jamming in the back room there

cheers

User Info Menu

Hah, I KNEW you were gonna post that pic NA.

For you gear heads that's NAMM '39 in NY. Charlie's playing the newly introduced ES-250 through an even rarer EH-275 maple cab amp.
    Teddy on the newly introduced Super 400 Premier in the newly offered natural finish. It's little sister the matching L-5PN is behind Teddy and Slam's playing the newly introduced Gibson bass. '39 was a very big year @ Gibson!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Hah, I KNEW you were gonna post that pic NA.

For you gear heads that's NAMM '39 in NY. Charlie's playing the newly introduced ES-250 through an even rarer EH-275 maple cab amp.
    Teddy on the newly introduced Super 400 Premier in the newly offered natural finish. It's little sister the matching L-5PN is behind Teddy and Slam's playing the newly introduced Gibson bass. '39 was a very big year @ Gibson!
    Nice picture; and it explains why there are tags on the guitar head.

User Info Menu

Seems to be in Bb but there are open strings... capo? Different tuning?

User Info Menu

good comp of bunn tracks

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Seems to be in Bb but there are open strings... capo? Different tuning?
    For a lot of these old recordings it could be running a little fast or slow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    For a lot of these old recordings it could be running a little fast or slow.
    Yes, I think you're right. Don't know why I didn't think of that, obvious really.

User Info Menu

While I've been aware of Bunn's fine playing, through CD anthologies, I just focused in on him, from hearing Johnny Dodd's '38 recording of 'Wild Man Blues', and other cuts from the same group and year. Super fine!