The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Please help me! Who are the songbirds working today that even come close to the talents of this profound vocalist? There is more to music than the notes. RIP Arthur. You were a rare talent and an original interpreter of the classics. Play live! . . . Marinero

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The drummer in our band toured w his brother Red back in the day and worked w both occasionally.
    My ex mother in law loved AP.

User Info Menu

remember hearing prysock..as a very little kid...pre beatles!! haha...mom had the lps...joe williams and early lou rawls as well...they had that silky low tone

later i discovered johnny hartman...and he remains my go to

hadn't thought about prysock in decades..still sounds smooth

here's a similar stylist- little known club drummer from georgia...allen murphy...the great altoist marion brown used him on his vista lp..singin a stevie wonder tune..he's great on it

cheers

User Info Menu

Hi, N,
    Nice interplay between voice and alto. Takes me back . . . Play live! . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Voices like his are so special. At one time, I though Arthur sang this song, but it was by some other fellow who also has that wonderful style of singing.

joelf Guest
    I thought Natalie Cole was quite special---maybe as great in her own way as her dad.

What grabbed me was her interpretation of I Haven't Got Anything Better to Do (Ask a Woman who Knows), owned, I was sure, by Carmen McCrae...

And, similarly, I thought I'd never live to hear a Here's That Rainy Day as good as Sinatra's---until I heard hers:

I make these comparisons in utter seriousness, b/c she belongs in that company. She really was that good...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Voices like his are so special. At one time, I though Arthur sang this song, but it was by some other fellow who also has that wonderful style of singing.

Hi, A,
    He was bouncing around Chicago during the late 60's and I bumped into him once at Brunswick recording studio where I was trying to get on their list as a sub if a regular got sick or couldn't make the gig for a recording. We had a very healthy R&B scene in Chi during the 60's/70's and there were easily 40-50 clubs that played LIVE MUSIC on the weekends. Many people don't know he had polio in his youth and always walked with crutches. Play live! . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joelf
    I thought Natalie Cole was quite special---maybe as great in her own way as her dad.

What grabbed me was her interpretation of I Haven't Got Anything Better to Do (Ask a Woman who Knows), owned, I was sure, by Carmen McCrae...

And, similarly, I thought I'd never live to hear a Here's That Rainy Day as good as Sinatra's---until I heard hers:

I make these comparisons in utter seriousness, b/c she belongs in that company. She really was that good...

Hi, J,
    Natalie was the real deal. She brought the depth of human emotion to a high level with her creative, sensitive interpretations. Sadly, her life had a tragic detour through drugs that ultimately lead to her early death. And, who among the songbirds today ,under 40, are carrying on this tradition? Their music, for me, is as boring as their well-publicized, superficial lives. According to statistics, 1.4% of our population buys/ listens to Jazz recordings. Reggae ranks 1.5% Play live! . . . Marinero

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, J,
    Natalie was the real deal. She brought the depth of human emotion to a high level with her creative, sensitive interpretations. Sadly, her life had a tragic detour through drugs that ultimately lead to her early death. And, who among the songbirds today ,under 40, are carrying on this tradition? Their music, for me, is as boring as their well-publicized, superficial lives. According to statistics, 1.4% of our population buys/ listens to Jazz recordings. Reggae ranks 1.5% Play live! . . . Marinero
    Some singers and musos pulled my coat to Eva Cassidy, also no longer with us. Also on the female part of the 'pop' realm (an unfortunate appellation for such a wide range of music) I was moved by the voices of Roberta Flack; Sandy Denny; Judy Collins; early Joni Mitchell; and Joan Baez. (I'm waiving any age requirement here, obviously). Males would start with Stevie Wonder and Donny Hathaway...

joelf Guest
    When I heard that Natalie had died I either cried or wanted to. Maybe a week before I saw a pic (maybe old or doctored?), and she looked so healthy and positive she practically glowed. I was sure she'd make it to the other side.

But liver disease doesn't play...