User Info Menu

Enjoy!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One of my favourites!

User Info Menu

Oh yeah....

User Info Menu

In the late 80's word at a local cajun joint was that Harry Connick Jr. would drop by after his show in Toronto. Connick at that time was pretty popular at that point and I was impressed how he just comped letting the fantastic Russell Malone stretch out. A good time was had by all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    In the late 80's word at a local cajun joint was that Harry Connick Jr. would drop by after his show in Toronto. Connick at that time was pretty popular at that point and I was impressed how he just comped letting the fantastic Russell Malone stretch out. A good time was had by all.
    Hi, A,
    Do you think the reason was that Harry couldn't cut the mustard improvisationally on the same level with Malone? IMO, Connick was a functional Boogie Woogie/Dixie pianist whose popularity was that he sounded like Frank Sinatra when he sang the standards. I've never heard him improvise to any great degree and I never liked his sound. However, he had some great bands/musicians behind him once he became famous.

Play live! . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Could very well be. I just was glad to see he wasn't playing 'the star.'

As I remember there were quite a few on the bandstand who could blow so Harry laid low.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, A,
    Do you think the reason was that Harry couldn't cut the mustard improvisationally on the same level with Malone? IMO, Connick was a functional Boogie Woogie/Dixie pianist whose popularity was that he sounded like Frank Sinatra when he sang the standards.
    Harry is a high level, very Monk influenced pianist who has cut a number of great instrumental records. The two I know best are "Lofty's Roach Soufflé" (featuring Ben Wolfe on bass) and "The Other Hours". He's also a very good arranger who, at one point, wrote a big band arrangement every single day.

User Info Menu

I heard Harry a few years ago ....
    and was Very Very impressed with his piano playing ....
    he could play authentically in many different styles of jazz amongst them
    he did a bangin stride thing , a Nat Cole thing ,
    and an incredible chopsy Oscar Peterson thing
    then he open his mouth sang like Frank !!
    (he was very good looking too)

I never understood why he wasn’t an even
    bigger Star ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcsanwald
    Harry is a high level, very Monk influenced pianist who has cut a number of great instrumental records. The two I know best are "Lofty's Roach Soufflé" (featuring Ben Wolfe on bass) and "The Other Hours". He's also a very good arranger who, at one point, wrote a big band arrangement every single day.

Hi, P,
    Thanks for the response and the two music videos. I listened to them both and would say that Harry is a musician that never found his own voice. He sings like Sinatra and, in these recordings, he mimics Monk, poorly, with his piano playing. I believe the number one most important thing a musician must strive for after he's conquered technique is his/her own voice. . . because a musical instrument is a substitute for the human voice and if it cannot reflect your own unique personality, it fails. But, Harry's been a great success and has made a life in music and there's something to say for that but no one, in my opinion, is ever going to remember him as an innovator or a unique voice. However, this is just my opinion and I don't want my remarks to be taken as a personal attack(they are not) but merely expressing my personal tastes about music and performers.
    Many times in the past when I played with ensembles, I would hire a musician who, perhaps, didn't have the best technique, but had the best sound because I knew with practice the technique would eventually improve but a personal sound can remain illusive, if not attainable, to some, in a lifetime of playing. So, thanks again for the musical offerings and your perspective. Play live! . . . Marinero