The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

great video from almost 40 yrs ago, a few yrs before I first saw Joe come through town w/Al Grey's band [man, where does the time go??]
    he was playing the same 70s L-5 missing the bridge volume knob, though he's been playing a late 60s L-5 for many yrs now.
    I never even knew Al Cohn had a son that played guitar until just before then, he stole the show that night and Grey wasn't amused, but a friend and I were pretty impressed to say the least. we were talking to him on break and he said that Al would routinely fire him for getting too much attention but would always hire him back.
    at the time he said he was concentrating on classical piano but was playing guitar to pay the bills, of course we know he plays bass and trumpet as well.
    we mentioned we'd recently seen his dad play before he passed and he got very emotional, understandably.
    wasn't aware of his surgery until recently, hope he's recovering.

pretty cool shot of 4 generations of his family including his grandfather, dad Al and his daughter musician Shaye all passed out after eating Thanksgiving meal. must've been good!

Last edited by wintermoon; 07-15-2020 at 06:54 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great tape! Unlike most bari players, Brignola mastered the horn to such an extent that he could've been playing tenor. As much as I like Pepper and some others, Brignola's lines had more clarity, and he used space better than Pepper.
    Joe Cohn is one of the best players on the scene, if not the best. He absolutely killed on that blues!
    What type of surgery did he have done? I hope he's okay.

shoulder bone surgery according to his gofundme

yeah, even his comping is off the charts great and never strident, always inventive w/cool voicings, etc.
    I think he was only about 25 in that clip and not too far removed from Berklee.
    and like Cohn, Brignola doesn't get nearly the praise he should, listen to that unison head on Donna Lee, they absolutely nailed it!

User Info Menu

joe with another bari...

cc pickup

cheers

father and son, 70s? , don't know the other guy though.

User Info Menu

^ Joe Cohn, Casey Sulkin & Al Cohn, late '70s.

cheers

User Info Menu

The other guy is Casey (KC) Sulkin, Boston-based DJ and club owner who also ran the the Pizza Express in London for a period.

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    The other guy is Casey (KC) Sulkin, Boston-based DJ and club owner who also ran the the Pizza Express in London for a period.
    Thanks, I saw his name but didn't know who he was/what he did.

User Info Menu

Joe's surgery was in April 2019. He was expected to be out for six months to a year but he was seen back playing out by July!

There are some videos on YouTube of him at Cafe Bohemia in January 2020.

He's also started giving online lessons this year!

Nick Brignola Quartet w/Joe Cohn-94832187_4344478012244786_5473291277304856576_n-jpg

User Info Menu

I played a lot with Joe back in the 70's, great energy, boundless, in fact; we opened for the LA4 and got to play with Ray Brown. Always good to hear him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    great video from almost 40 yrs ago,
    Fantastic playing by all ... Joe is on top of his game!

Joe Cohn is one of the few USA players that I met and talked with. It was in 2007 when he did a mini tour with the Peter Beets Trio to promote Peter's CD "New Groove." That CD features either Joe or Martijn van Iterson on guitar and is drummerless. Both Joe and Martijn played in the trio that night so it was actually a quartet.

I recorded the whole show and all the vids are on my Blog under the title "Bop Till You Drop" in 3 instalments for those interested. Kick ass bebop stuff.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog

Joe Cohn is one of the few USA players that I met and talked with. It was in 2007 when he did a mini tour with the Peter Beets Trio to promote Peter's CD "New Groove." That CD features either Joe or Martijn van Iterson on guitar and is drummerless. Both Joe and Martijn played in the trio that night so it was actually a quartet.

I recorded the whole show and all the vids are on my Blog under the title "Bop Till You Drop" in 3 instalments for those interested. Kick ass bebop stuff.

DB
    Thanks again for recording that session, Dick. Joe's solo over "In Her Own Sweet Way" is particularly fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog

DB
    Hi Db just as a side thing went to your site, for me is one of your best that 175 sounds killer, thats you playing now, not the rehearsed lines...... you know what i mean.
    really excellent,

did not know where to post this, what the hell its here .......................

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    Hi Db just as a side thing went to your site, for me is one of your best that 175 sounds killer, thats you playing now, not the rehearsed lines...... you know what i mean. Really excellent,
    did not know where to post this, what the hell its here .......................
    That is a very old clip. A bit wild and bluesy. Probably 15 years old or so ... I still have that 175.

DB