The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

I just watched Kurt Rosenwinkel's solo performance streaming on "Live From Our Living Rooms".
    Besides the great an inspirational playing (always), I see he was playing a PRS guitar that I don't recognize. It looks a little like the PRS JA-15 Paul Jackson Jr model but not quite the same. Anybody have any insights?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

PRS has "Singlecut Archtop" model as part of their Private Stock line. It looks like he is playing some variation of it because the headstock, tailpiece, and fingerboard look different.

Private Stock Singlecut Archtop

User Info Menu

Yes, it does look like a variation of that.... obviously less ornate though..
    thanks Diode!

User Info Menu

I watched the stream as well and took notice of the guitar. Here's hoping for an SE edition.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diode
    PRS has "Singlecut Archtop" model as part of their Private Stock line. It looks like he is playing some variation of it because the headstock, tailpiece, and fingerboard look different.

User Info Menu

I love my JA15.

Not a fat sound, but it really sits well in the ensemble mix.

Balanced and a good range of timbre/tone options
    Last edited by rictroll; 07-15-2020 at 08:43 AM.

User Info Menu

It turns out that I'm not far from John Mann, who was a collaborator with Paul and still makes parts for his guitars. He has a fully stocked line of PRS guitars and I got the chance to visit him and try out a few recently. The playability of the guitars with the wide fat neck, whether made in Maryland or overseas, is outstandingly good!

User Info Menu

As I mentioned over in the duplicate of this thread last week, it's a PRS JA-15, just with a trapeze tailpiece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by diode

First time seeing this, that's actually quite nice. If they only would lose the darn birds and other silly fretboard inlays and have regular dots instead. PRS has good ideas and I like some of their models. But they often have these tasteless and gaudy features that make me lose interest. The guitar world equivalent of Ed Hardy clothes. Mind you, I am sure they play and sound good. I tried an entry-level Korean PRS and it played really well.

Rosenwinkel seems to change guitars all the time, no? Of course, Frisell does the same.

User Info Menu

I rather like the birds myself. The headstock shape is more aggressive than my tastes, but the business parts of PRS guitars are first rate... so we compromise.

User Info Menu

I downloaded the video and the guitar sounded kinda meh. PRS gave it to him for free and he was just been kind I guess.

User Info Menu

...hi guys,

I stumbled over another stream on YT of Kurt playing his PRS, it´s from the A-Trane-Corona-Live-Sessions (Berlin). I was really happy to see such an exquisite guitar in the hands of such a great player like Kurt. And he sounded really great on it, with just some reverb (looked like a Big Sky) and a Fender Deluxe amp (btw, ait was nice to hear him in a duo with a fantastic bassist).

Although Kurt is playing a private stock version of the JA 15 let me say that imho the regular JA model (which is sadly out of production) is one of the most underrated Jazz boxes ever. I own one and feel that PRS and Paul Jackson made all the right choices while constructing this model / in the pursuit to offer a modern, light, versatile, comfy jazz guitar for amateurs and pros alike. It has a very very beautiful and sweet and woody electric sound (the 53/10 pu`s are killer), a very nice acoustic sound for practising quietly at home, sits very well in the mix (like rictrol already mentioned), is super sturdy and stays in tune forever. Craftmanship / Built quality is super top notch, too. It can cover a lot of ground (going from Metheney to Martino to funk and blues and back etc pp) and is also comfy like hell! Of course it´s not an 17inch L5 (but it doesn´t want to be anyway) (and if you want that classic fat L 5 sound simply get one of these good ol`jazz mamas ;-)). Imho, the PRS JA beats many, many ES 175 and 335´s and similar type guitars out there, though. And why does nobody know about this guitar these days? Because a) the model is like already mentioned sadly out of production and b) it is very rarely seen on the pre-owned market, I guess because the current owners know how good these guitars are and therefore don´t want to sell ;-))

Take care and stay safe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tele3
    I downloaded the video and the guitar sounded kinda meh. PRS gave it to him for free and he was just been kind I guess.
    sorry but I don’t understand what you are saying:“kinda meh “?
    It’s that swhaeli the official language of the republic of Congo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emilP
    Huh? What what does Swahili have to do with it? I'm confused.

User Info Menu

Trying to locate the video mentioned by the OP -- it looks like you have to pay a subscription or something, right??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzgirl71
    ...hi guys,

I stumbled over another stream on YT of Kurt playing his PRS, it´s from the A-Trane-Corona-Live-Sessions (Berlin). I was really happy to see such an exquisite guitar in the hands of such a great player like Kurt. And he sounded really great on it, with just some reverb (looked like a Big Sky) and a Fender Deluxe amp (btw, ait was nice to hear him in a duo with a fantastic bassist).

Although Kurt is playing a private stock version of the JA 15 let me say that imho the regular JA model (which is sadly out of production) is one of the most underrated Jazz boxes ever. I own one and feel that PRS and Paul Jackson made all the right choices while constructing this model / in the pursuit to offer a modern, light, versatile, comfy jazz guitar for amateurs and pros alike. It has a very very beautiful and sweet and woody electric sound (the 53/10 pu`s are killer), a very nice acoustic sound for practising quietly at home, sits very well in the mix (like rictrol already mentioned), is super sturdy and stays in tune forever. Craftmanship / Built quality is super top notch, too. It can cover a lot of ground (going from Metheney to Martino to funk and blues and back etc pp) and is also comfy like hell! Of course it´s not an 17inch L5 (but it doesn´t want to be anyway) (and if you want that classic fat L 5 sound simply get one of these good ol`jazz mamas ;-)). Imho, the PRS JA beats many, many ES 175 and 335´s and similar type guitars out there, though. And why does nobody know about this guitar these days? Because a) the model is like already mentioned sadly out of production and b) it is very rarely seen on the pre-owned market, I guess because the current owners know how good these guitars are and therefore don´t want to sell ;-))

Take care and stay safe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emilP
    They do not speak Swahili in Republic of Congo, or much in the Democratic Republic of Congo for that matter, French is the official language and Swahili is an East African Language, a few groups in the Eastern DRC speak it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    They do not speak Swahili in Republic of Congo, or much in the Democratic Republic of Congo for that matter, French is the official language and Swahili is an East African Language, a few groups in the Eastern DRC speak it
    I was joking,I know as Belgian that French Is the official language of RDC.
    Could someone translate for me "I downloaded the video and the sound was kinda me"
    Is that slang?

User Info Menu

"Meh" is slang for so-so, not great, bland, boring, etc.

User Info Menu

It certainly looks nice, but I suspect at the price those go for there’s a fair bit of competition in the market.

User Info Menu

Here's the A-Trane-Corona-Live-Sessions video. Cool duo performance: