The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cidec
    Sonny Rollins' whole bridge experience is a pretty popular part of jazz history. Legend has it, after hearing Coltrane play, he took 3 years off to shed underneath a bridge for about a thousand hours every day. He came out the other side a completely different player and cut an amazing album afterwards called The Bridge.
    I get hauled over the coals for this, but I prefer all Rollins (very) early work to his post Bridge output. "Chasin' the Trane" was a regrettable choice in his case, in my extremely humble and ignorant opinion...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Chris Whiteman.
    His playing on his videos get better over time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    There are a lot of musicians who started out with only a rudimentary knowledge of playing an instrument but over time became reasonably accomplished.
    Ian Anderson pretty much learned the flute on Jethro Tull gigs, having started out on guitar/harmonica.

User Info Menu

Steve Kahn is someone that has really grown as a musician over the decades. When I first heard him with Larry Coryell, my friends and I would joke that he sounded like us,,, which was not-so-good. This became more clear when we would listen to the Coryell \ Philip Catherine recordings. Kahn wasn't at their level. Of course Kahn had a musical heritage from his father, Sammy.

The recordings Kahn has made in the last decade or more are that of a first rate musician.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bleakanddivine
    Ian Anderson pretty much learned the flute on Jethro Tull gigs, having started out on guitar/harmonica.
    True. He said in interviews he had to do something with his hands, and he already had a great guitar player, so he took up the flute.

I have to say technical or not, he's one of the most entertaining flute players out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    Steve Kahn is someone that has really grown as a musician over the decades. When I first heard him with Larry Coryell, my friends and I would joke that he sounded like us,,, which was not-so-good.
    Kahn wrote on his blog/website:

When I moved to New York in January of 1970, I thought that I was arriving ready to play, ready to be an artist and to pursue my dream of becoming a great Jazz guitarist and musician. I arrived only knowing two people: David Friedman(vibes) and John Miller(ac./el. bass). It didn't take too long to realize that upon arrival, I was NOT the musician that I had thought that I was - or, better said, that I hoped that I was. David Friedman, who is one of the greatest musicians that I have ever had the privilege to know and work with quickly recognized my shortcomings, and, in a quiet moment, suggested that I go and take some lessons from the great Jim Hall. And so, as I knew that David was right, I phoned Jim, made an appointment, and began my studies....Eventually, I discontinued my studies with Jim, because I didn't feel that I was getting what I needed from him. It was not his fault, again, I just wasn't ready to be his student!
    Jim Hall "Careful!" Solo Transcription and Analysis by Steve Khan
    It's a great little essay about studying with Hall and Hall's playing, with a coda about John Abercrombie. I can imagine growing up in Hollywood in the 50s and 60s with your successful show-biz dad being a buddy of Frank Sinatra's could make life seem a little easier than it is as a young man.