The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

great 1960 wes montgomery session date with nat adderley..a great player in his own right!...(& cannonballs younger brother)

bass plus cello rhythm section creates solid foundation for nat and wes to play over..top date

work song

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

oh yeah got that, before CDs were a thing!

wes as sideman-top session-480f97e4-30f7-4d5e-9816-e696c4dda2b9-jpgwes as sideman-top session-58da3e63-0057-4e2d-8e7c-6f62a3e1ee65-jpg

User Info Menu

Had the album forever, especially like the 2 ballads w paired down rhythm section, Violets For Your Furs and I've Got A Crush on You.

p.s. was recently watching Sammy Davis in classic Man Called Adam during jazz month on TCM, Nat dubbed Sammy's trumpet playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Had the album forever, especially like the 2 ballads w paired down rhythm section, Violets For Your Furs and I've Got A Crush on You.

p.s. was recently watching Sammy Davis in classic Man Called Adam during jazz month on TCM, Nat dubbed Sammy's trumpet playing.
    hah!! was gonna post the exact same tidbits!! exactly wm!

another fun fact is actress cicely tyson who played louie A's granddaughter & trumpetman sammys interest in a man called adam, wound up marrying miles davis!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Yeah NA, don't forget Lola Falana in Adam as well, a tenor player friend used to date her back in the day. Cecily had a bit part as barmaid in Odds Against Tomorrow w Belafonte, also on jazz month, w John Lewis score

User Info Menu

another unreal fact is that nats work song recording was cut on alternate days with wes' incredible jazz guitar of wes montgomery lp!! at same studio..reeves sound in nyc!..wes cut his lp- jan 26 & 28 1960...cut wth nat jan 25 & 27 1960!!..4 days of prime wes!!

cheers

User Info Menu

Love the cello!

User Info Menu

Had that record for a long time. That band sounds great. You can hear everything so well.

User Info Menu

I think NEA and i discussed AMCA before here. I saw it as a kid, and then many times afterward. Nat played his ass off in that movie. SDJ and everyone else was great, well directed by Les Payne with nice B&W cinematography.

User Info Menu

Yeah NA, don't forget Lola Falana in Adam as well, a tenor player friend used to date her back in the day. Cecily had a bit part as barmaid in Odds Against Tomorrow w Belafonte, also on jazz month, w John Lewis score
    Harry B. played some nice vibes in a club scene in OAT. Jim Hall was featured on the soundtrack, and Bill Evans played piano.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I think NEA and i discussed AMCA before here. I saw it as a kid, and then many times afterward. Nat played his ass off in that movie. SDJ and everyone else was great, well directed by Les Payne with nice B&W cinematography.
    yeah a man called adam was a regular on old nyc late night tv...channel 9 or 11..hah...saw many times..and now have dvd and soundtrack...always loved seeing louie A as a kid!!..however, it was directed by leo penn...sean penns dad!! imagine that!

les pine was the writer!

cheers

User Info Menu

"Work Song" is an all-time classic tune!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Harry B. played some nice vibes in a club scene in OAT. Jim Hall was featured on the soundtrack, and Bill Evans played piano.
    Very true but Nat always plays his ass off, likely was just less well known/appreciated by being in his brother's shadow.

User Info Menu

I also just watched Man Called Adam on TCM as part of their June Jazz and Film month and I wondered who was dubbing for Sammy in the film.

Now I know! Thanks

User Info Menu

well this thread is morphing nicely!! haha...glad to see nat adderley gettin some praise...my intention...highly underrated..has a bunch of great recordings...with jim hall..burrell etc etc

and as for a man called adam, although it's nat that ghosts on trumpet...the score was actually by benny carter!..another great!...and it features tunes sung by sammy, louie A & mel torme...nats blowng is icing!

cheers

User Info Menu

Nat and Joe Zawinul in a Miles groove:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Nat and Joe Zawinul in a Miles groove:

sam jones, nat and junior mance killing it.

User Info Menu

I always felt Nat was excellent without being great. Cannon on the other hand, particularly late 50's, became perhaps the only altoist to actually out-gun Parker. Beyond "next level", like Wes was...

User Info Menu

Rhythmically more straightforward than Parker (name me a player who isn’t), but I find Cannonball more soulful somehow?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah a man called adam was a regular on old nyc late night tv...channel 9 or 11..hah...saw many times..and now have dvd and soundtrack...always loved seeing louie A as a kid!!..however, it was directed by leo penn...sean penns dad!! imagine that!

les pine was the writer!

cheers
    I should always do a search before I open up my mouth on technical data like that. Thanks for the corrections!

User Info Menu

Wes and Cannonball:

User Info Menu

wes and billy taylor

User Info Menu

Wes and Harold Land:

User Info Menu

wes and jon hendricks

User Info Menu

Wes and John Coltrane

Hah- gotcha!