Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    great 1960 wes montgomery session date with nat adderley..a great player in his own right!...(& cannonballs younger brother)

    bass plus cello rhythm section creates solid foundation for nat and wes to play over..top date

    work song



    cheers

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    oh yeah got that, before CDs were a thing!

    wes as sideman-top session-480f97e4-30f7-4d5e-9816-e696c4dda2b9-jpgwes as sideman-top session-58da3e63-0057-4e2d-8e7c-6f62a3e1ee65-jpg

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Had the album forever, especially like the 2 ballads w paired down rhythm section, Violets For Your Furs and I've Got A Crush on You.

    p.s. was recently watching Sammy Davis in classic Man Called Adam during jazz month on TCM, Nat dubbed Sammy's trumpet playing.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Had the album forever, especially like the 2 ballads w paired down rhythm section, Violets For Your Furs and I've Got A Crush on You.

    p.s. was recently watching Sammy Davis in classic Man Called Adam during jazz month on TCM, Nat dubbed Sammy's trumpet playing.
    hah!! was gonna post the exact same tidbits!! exactly wm!

    another fun fact is actress cicely tyson who played louie A's granddaughter & trumpetman sammys interest in a man called adam, wound up marrying miles davis!!

    cheers

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Yeah NA, don't forget Lola Falana in Adam as well, a tenor player friend used to date her back in the day. Cecily had a bit part as barmaid in Odds Against Tomorrow w Belafonte, also on jazz month, w John Lewis score

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    another unreal fact is that nats work song recording was cut on alternate days with wes' incredible jazz guitar of wes montgomery lp!! at same studio..reeves sound in nyc!..wes cut his lp- jan 26 & 28 1960...cut wth nat jan 25 & 27 1960!!..4 days of prime wes!!



    cheers

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Love the cello!

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Had that record for a long time. That band sounds great. You can hear everything so well.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Had the album forever, especially like the 2 ballads w paired down rhythm section, Violets For Your Furs and I've Got A Crush on You.

    p.s. was recently watching Sammy Davis in classic Man Called Adam during jazz month on TCM, Nat dubbed Sammy's trumpet playing.
    I think NEA and i discussed AMCA before here. I saw it as a kid, and then many times afterward. Nat played his ass off in that movie. SDJ and everyone else was great, well directed by Les Payne with nice B&W cinematography.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Yeah NA, don't forget Lola Falana in Adam as well, a tenor player friend used to date her back in the day. Cecily had a bit part as barmaid in Odds Against Tomorrow w Belafonte, also on jazz month, w John Lewis score
    Harry B. played some nice vibes in a club scene in OAT. Jim Hall was featured on the soundtrack, and Bill Evans played piano.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I think NEA and i discussed AMCA before here. I saw it as a kid, and then many times afterward. Nat played his ass off in that movie. SDJ and everyone else was great, well directed by Les Payne with nice B&W cinematography.
    yeah a man called adam was a regular on old nyc late night tv...channel 9 or 11..hah...saw many times..and now have dvd and soundtrack...always loved seeing louie A as a kid!!..however, it was directed by leo penn...sean penns dad!! imagine that!

    les pine was the writer!

    cheers

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    "Work Song" is an all-time classic tune!

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Harry B. played some nice vibes in a club scene in OAT. Jim Hall was featured on the soundtrack, and Bill Evans played piano.
    Very true but Nat always plays his ass off, likely was just less well known/appreciated by being in his brother's shadow.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Had the album forever, especially like the 2 ballads w paired down rhythm section, Violets For Your Furs and I've Got A Crush on You.

    p.s. was recently watching Sammy Davis in classic Man Called Adam during jazz month on TCM, Nat dubbed Sammy's trumpet playing.
    I also just watched Man Called Adam on TCM as part of their June Jazz and Film month and I wondered who was dubbing for Sammy in the film.

    Now I know! Thanks

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    well this thread is morphing nicely!! haha...glad to see nat adderley gettin some praise...my intention...highly underrated..has a bunch of great recordings...with jim hall..burrell etc etc

    and as for a man called adam, although it's nat that ghosts on trumpet...the score was actually by benny carter!..another great!...and it features tunes sung by sammy, louie A & mel torme...nats blowng is icing!

    cheers

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Nat and Joe Zawinul in a Miles groove:


  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Nat and Joe Zawinul in a Miles groove:

    sam jones, nat and junior mance killing it.


  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    I always felt Nat was excellent without being great. Cannon on the other hand, particularly late 50's, became perhaps the only altoist to actually out-gun Parker. Beyond "next level", like Wes was...

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Rhythmically more straightforward than Parker (name me a player who isn’t), but I find Cannonball more soulful somehow?

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah a man called adam was a regular on old nyc late night tv...channel 9 or 11..hah...saw many times..and now have dvd and soundtrack...always loved seeing louie A as a kid!!..however, it was directed by leo penn...sean penns dad!! imagine that!

    les pine was the writer!

    cheers
    I should always do a search before I open up my mouth on technical data like that. Thanks for the corrections!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Wes and Cannonball:


  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    wes and billy taylor


  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Wes and Harold Land:


  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    wes and jon hendricks


  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    Wes and John Coltrane

    Hah- gotcha!

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Wes and John Coltrane

    Hah- gotcha!
    monterey 1961. we do not even have a photo...

    but we have these:




  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Wes and John Coltrane

    Hah- gotcha!
    Bastard!

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Nat was an under-rated player for sure - but imagine having to get up every night and play a solo straight after Cannonball Adderley ...

    Cannonball always sounded a bit like Benny Carter to me . Now there's a player who needs a revival .

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    Love these recommendations!