The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

what a career, rip Maestro!
    probably time to pull out my copy of Chet Baker and Strings....and a million other records
    Johnny Mandel, Composer Who Wrote ‘MASH’ Theme Song, Dies at 94

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

sorry to hear...another great mandel composition..a fave of dexters

the shadow of your smile

rip jm

cheers

User Info Menu

And a vocal version by Sinatra.

joelf Guest
    This is huge. Very, very sorry to hear...

User Info Menu

He also wrote "Emily" and "A Time For Love", and who knows how many other great tunes.
    He did the great jazz score for "I Want To Live!", and so many great arrangements, it would be impossible to list here, along with other movie scores. RIP, to one of the greatest songwriters/composer/arrangers of the last half of the 20th Century.

User Info Menu

paul desmond-ed bickert-ron carter & connie kay

pure desmond

cheers

arranging for Hoagy featuring Art Pepper

arranging for Chet featuring Zoot Sims

joelf Guest
    Nice Johnny Mandel story---and I never met the man, but this shed light on what he was about:
    In 2004, I was thinking that Bill Finegan (who had been a teacher/mentor) really deserved a lifetime achievement award. After running into Dr. Billy Taylor (who was my neighbor in Riverdale) in a restaurant, I mentioned this thought. Dr. Taylor was delighted, told me to contact the Kennedy Center and use his name. A beautiful gesture, for sure.

But I had an email correspondence with Bob Brookmeyer, and Brook was ALWAYS saying that Bill was his hero. I know for a fact that he called him EVERY day after Bill's wife passed away.

Long story short: I reached out to Brook, who reached out to Mr. Mandel---who did the legwork. Soon there was a lifetime achievement plaque from ASCAP in Bill Finegan's living room.

Great artists can be great people, too...

User Info Menu

A few more versions of "The Shadow Of Your Smile"

If you're gonna post renditions of SOYS this one belongs. I think just about everyone has heard and played the arrangement at some point
    Eddie Harris.

User Info Menu

Might as well have a jazz version of Emily:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Might as well have a jazz version of Emily:
    great clip!

and eddie harris!..always solid..very adventurous, but now rather obscure player...too bad

i remember seein the americanization of emily in the movie theatre as a kid...good stuff guys...nice tribute to jm here...rip

cheers

Another version of Emily by the legendary Joe Mooney, a personal favorite, I'm going to start a separate thread on him.

User Info Menu

So many WWII generation are passing now ... it's not an easy thing to face when the vast majority of the tunes I listen to and play every day are written or performed by folks who aren't alive. Still, it's a gift to have this vast repertoire available to us. No other generation of guitar players have had on-demand access to audio and video recordings to the extent that we do. Name one tune and we are able to find and share with each other the way Wes, or Barney, or Herb covered it.

The Shadow of Your Smile is one of my favorite tunes. It's in my set list ... and though I don't play it the way he does, I enjoy hearing Howard Roberts play it 'up.'

User Info Menu

What! I was just learning A Time for Love! RIP Johnny.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Another version of Emily by the legendary Joe Mooney, a personal favorite, I'm going to start a separate thread on him.

I met the great guitarist that played in Joe Mooney's Quartet from the 40s, Jack Hotop, a few times in a music store/repair shop in Queens, NY.
    He let me play his incredible D'Angelico that had bought in for servicing. I have to say that it was the BEST D'A I ever played. The action was so low and easy to play, I would have given him anything for that guitar. It was either an Excel or New Yorker, it's so long ago that I can't remember.
    He fanned his face when he heard me, and said to the owner, "Hot", which felt good coming from a player like that.

He told me that he was the first guitarist to play "West Side Story" on Broadway, with Leonard Bernstein conducting.
    He said the time signatures scared the hell out of him, but he got through it pretty well.

I was said to hear that he passed away shortly after that. The nicest guy you'd want to meet.