The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 51

User Info Menu

I'm trying to find some guitarists that come out of the Tristano school. I know about Billy Bauer, but I'm curious if there are more out there. Even modern players, or students of students, like people that studied and were influenced heavily by Lee Konitz or Connie Crothers or something.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This guy wrote a book about his studies with Warne Marsh, it’s worth reading.

John Klopotowski, Jazz Guitarist and Author in Oakland, CA

User Info Menu

Dave Cliff!!!

User Info Menu

Larry Koonse in LA.

User Info Menu

cheers

There was Pete Prisco. He was a student of Sal Mosca who was one of Lennies prominent students. Also some guy named I think Larry Meyers who was one of Lennies students.
    Connie Caruthers was pretty out as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Can't tell you hardly anything about Lennie, but I took about 10 lessons with Connie Crothers, an amazing musician and human spirit who sadly passed about 3 years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Larry Koonse in LA.

Nice Borys guitar, I had one of those pass through my hands a few years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    This guy wrote a book about his studies with Warne Marsh, it’s worth reading.

John Klopotowski, Jazz Guitarist and Author in Oakland, CA
    Thanks for the tip - I read some excerpts and it looks good...educational and entertaining. I ordered one. I love jazz biography books.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Larry Koonse in LA.

Since I'm in So Cal, I have seen Larry Koonse many times. Larry helps keep be 'honest' in that he plays a lot of new material (E.g. songs written by his band mates (LA Jazz Quartet) or not-often-played "standards"). I.e. songs I don't know the 'changes' to and thus I have to really focus.

Koonse's use of chords in his solos is what I find most interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cidec
    I'm trying to find some guitarists that come out of the Tristano school. I know about Billy Bauer, but I'm curious if there are more out there. Even modern players, or students of students, like people that studied and were influenced heavily by Lee Konitz or Connie Crothers or something.
    There's quite a few, but most you've probably never heard of because they don't play out much. I used to know some of them back in the day when I was into that music.
    Mark DiOrio, Fred Crisson, come to mind. I remember Peter Prisco, too.
    Look up Zinnia records.

More notably, Josh Breakstone used to play with Warne Marsh.
    I remember Peter Bernstein, when he was starting out in the 80's, playing at loft gigs that people from the Tristano "scene" were doing, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coolvinny
    Thanks for the tip - I read some excerpts and it looks good...educational and entertaining. I ordered one. I love jazz biography books.
    John's very generous, he practically has the entire book, and all his albums on his 'samples'. That piano player he plays with is a bitch. I hope he's giving away his stuff for free, too. I exchanged emails with JK when he was on rmmgj ages ago. We both went to the same school and studied with some of the same people. Great musician and great guy.

User Info Menu

It is one of my favourite books about jazz...

I like the two octave scales too... C# on a Cmaj7 :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzVocab
    Nice Borys guitar, I had one of those pass through my hands a few years ago.
    The sound he got out of that thing on the LA Quartet albums was the reason why I bought both of my Borys guitars.
    Like Larry, I also use .011s on my B120. Roger doesn't like it, and calls us a couple of 'speed demons'.

User Info Menu

There's a renown guitarist, educator named Woody Mann who actually trained for a while with Tristano.

He plays/teaches more country blues from 1930's on, along with performing originals, some of which are inspired by older jazz guitarists ( Eddie Lang etc ) and was involved in Attila Zoller's last CD Lasting Love Attila Zoller - Lasting Love (Solo Guitar) (1997, CD) | Discogs

Here's his site: woody mann – BLUES, JAZZ and AMERICAN ROOTS

User Info Menu

of course there's billy b's own...music minus one session of sorts...from 1955...as the cover suggests...pick up your horn and blow

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    of course there's billy b's own...music minus one session of sorts...from 1955...as the cover suggests...pick up your horn and blow

cheers
    So this is a recording of backing tracks for musicians to solo over?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    So this is a recording of backing tracks for musicians to solo over?
    right...be your own tristano disciple!! hah

there was a thread about it on the forum, but i can't find with search

cheers

User Info Menu

Bizarrely , Joe Satriani studied with Tristano .

User Info Menu

So did Billy Joel

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by keith
    There's a renown guitarist, educator named Woody Mann who actually trained for a while with Tristano.

He plays/teaches more country blues from 1930's on, along with performing originals, some of which are inspired by older jazz guitarists ( Eddie Lang etc ) and was involved in Attila Zoller's last CD Lasting Love Attila Zoller - Lasting Love (Solo Guitar) (1997, CD) | Discogs

Here's his site: woody mann – BLUES, JAZZ and AMERICAN ROOTS
    Woody's a great guy, played with a bass player friend of mine on his Harlem Street Singer project. I got to spend some time with him when we showed the film at my wife's theater. He's more about the Rev. Gary Davis influence, though, not Lennie.

Quote Originally Posted by Pycroft
    Bizarrely , Joe Satriani studied with Tristano .
    I know a few people that studied with Lennie. Apparently he was very open minded about music. Loved the Jackson Five ! Supported women in Jazz. I’m not surprised that Satriani studied with him. There was a lot to learn so long as you didn’t get involved in the cult BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

cheers
    interesting! Didn’t know this idea predated Aerbersold. Do you have any more info?

User Info Menu

Don’t know about the Billy Bauer record, but the ‘music minus one’ records started in 1950 and apparently included some jazz:

Music Minus One - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    interesting! Didn’t know this idea predated Aerbersold. Do you have any more info?
    Music minus one records, though aimed mostly at classical started 1950
    (so says google). Curious if anything earlier existed.