Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 80

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, AustinCaseySwing.

User Info Menu

I love Oscar. I've wanted to do a Nat Cole style trio since high school. I couldn't ever find a pianist who would do it. When I first started entertaining the idea of building archtops I wanted to do amp/guitar sets like Gibson used to do and one of my models was going to be a CC equipped es250/l-5 with an eh-185 type amp and I was going to call it the Oscar. Barney Kessel once said that Oscar practically invented the guitars place in a modern small combo. I think that's true. One more thing and I'll stop blabbing. A local guitarist who was a hell of a player (and good friends with Barney) and I were talking one night and I mentioned how much I loved Oscar's playing and he agreed. Then he told me how he was playing in California back in the day and met the trio. He said he was honored that Nat remembered his name the next day. I said that was the coolest thing I had ever heard and that I wish I had a guitar like Oscar's. He said "Oh man I had that guitar.". I said "you had a blonde L-5 with a Charlie Christian pickup?". He said "No. I bought Oscar's guitar from him.". I about fell off my chair then asked him if I could see it and said "I'd love to show it to you but it got stolen off a job back in the fifties.". Oh, +1000 for John Collins.
    Last edited by jasonc; 07-20-2012 at 09:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I Like Oscar Moore.
    I have one CD "The Oscar Moore Quartest With Carl Perkins"
    Nice to have, really good

Regards
    Clavan (The Netherlands - Europe)

User Info Menu

Here's a very interesting article about Oscar Moore's solid body jazz guitar.

A Modernist: Oscar Moore and Fender (1951)

rock and roll,death metal,death doom of 2012 when Oscar Moore started with jazz comping on the solid body.These days when jazz is played using a hollow body maybe some solid body guitar.Again the skill of the guitarist whether it be solid body or hollow body is the most important thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by monk
    Here's a very interesting article about Oscar Moore's solid body jazz guitar.

A Modernist: Oscar Moore and Fender (1951)
    Thanks Monk. That was a great read.

User Info Menu

Just an update on the Oscar Moore thread: There's an hour long collection of Nat King Cole tunes with a lot of his trio/quartet footage called Nat King Cole -- For Sentimental Reasons - Legends in Concert. Good shots of Oscar (with his great archtops) and, of course, Nat's great piano playing.

Side notes:

There's one staging where Nat seems to have been powdered in the face and hands to look more lighter. It's weird to see and such an (unfortunate) sign of the times to make a black person more palatable to a white audience. A lot of these videos are in a similar setting (ladies being serenaded or ubiquitous backdrop). They must have been filmed in the same studio. It'd be nice to have some info about where and when these were filmed.

Anyway, enjoy!

Edit: Irving Ashby eventually replaced Oscar, so there's some nice guitar work from him too.
    Last edited by edward74; 07-25-2013 at 04:46 PM.

Ive heard of entertainers doing that look at al jolsen he got painted up before every performance there is also numerous examples of both the white and coloured musicians trying to change their faces to either white or black to make the audience feel more in their territory.Those days man money from playing music was something to behold.

User Info Menu

Most of the arrangements for the group were done by Moore.
    Hi Monk

I'm a University student doing some research on Moore - I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of where you found out that he did the arrangements for the Nat King Cole Trio? If I can find a source to back it up it would be a fantastic point for my essay... :-)

Z

User Info Menu

His solo on "A Foggy Day" was very imaginative.
    I think that was from his group with Carl Perkins.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zaqz
    Hi Monk

I'm a University student doing some research on Moore - I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of where you found out that he did the arrangements for the Nat King Cole Trio? If I can find a source to back it up it would be a fantastic point for my essay... :-)

Z
    Zaqz,
    I apologize for not responding sooner. I've been out of town and just read your post. I've looked through my history books and haven't found the item I read. Perhaps it's in liner notes to a Cole or Moore recording. If I find it in the next few days I'll let you know.

User Info Menu

Zaqz,
    I apologize for not responding sooner. I've been out of town and just read your post. I've looked through my history books and haven't found the item I read. Perhaps it's in liner notes to a Cole or Moore recording. If I find it in the next few days I'll let you know.
    Brilliant, thank you very much for looking for me :-)
    Z

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edward74

It'd be nice to have some info about where and when these were filmed.
    In general, the clips with Oscar Moore were soundies, produced by various companies including RCM productions,

Soundies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The ones featuring Irving Ashby were Snader Telescriptions, filmed between 1950/51.

Snader Telescriptions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone looking to buy a copy on DVD should go for this production, as it contains all Nat's soundies and telescriptions.

Amazon.com: Swing Era - Nat King Cole: Soundies & Telescriptions: Nat "King" Cole: Movies & TV

User Info Menu

WOW. Stumbled on this today, a day I am dedicating to listening to Oscar Moore. Such a quality recording from 1957 released on reel to reel tape. Vocals by Inez Jones are outstanding and Mr Moore could not get any cooler:

User Info Menu

First time hearing Ms. Jones, what a beautifully unaffected feminine voice. I just ordered the C.D.

User Info Menu

Wow! Thanks for the Inez Jones with Oscar Moore. Oh my, what a fine recording of a small combo! Even via YouTube's squashy algorithms it sounds great. Oscar was such a tasteful musician, dropping in just what needed to be played and seeming to never get in anyone's way. His tone on this is wonderful- perhaps a CC style guitar direct to the desk? I don't feel I'm hearing a lot of amp sound in his tone. Anyone know who the rest of the band is? Beautiful restraint and space. Oscar's time and groove are impeccable. I would love a copy of this album!

[Edit- ha, it's on iTunes along with more Oscar Moore stuff than I knew about]

Oscar is, I think, a big part of why I play jazz guitar and love the CC pickup sound. My parents were big fans of Nat Cole and I grew up hearing those trio recordings very often on the hi-fi (a lovely warm sounding Grundig Majestic, which was their first purchase after getting married). That music has been part of my life for 60+ years...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

yeah its a great recording, almost like your in the room and then the talent and musicality.

User Info Menu

Disappointingly, the sound on YouTube is better than the sound on the iTunes versions. On iTunes they have punched the highs up, dropped the bass And brought the voice very much forward. They do this a lot, screwing up the mix of jazz recordings regularly, so I don't know why am surprised by that.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't be surprised if they are remastering things for tiny iPhone speakers.

User Info Menu

this right here

User Info Menu

yeah was a bit disappointed when I downloaded it. The reel to reel recording must be amazing.

User Info Menu

Oscar Moore - the most ignored jazz guitarist?-oscarmooreboxinggloves-jpg
    So now we know how he got his unique sound.

Dan

User Info Menu

Great thread...was making a long drive listening to the Nat Cole Trio for like 4 hours and started digging into Oscar Moore when I got home...thanks to all for their posts and further reading links...that Inez Jones/Oscar Moore youtube link is very nice!