The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 80

User Info Menu

Oscar Moore was an amazing musician. The Nat King Cole's arrangements were hand down the best in the small-combo setting. There is a band in Boise, Idaho of all places, that plays and studies these arrangements, and even composes in the style of the NK3. Enjoy this link clip of them!

The Frim Fram Four - Don't Scratch That Riff, Cat!
    Last edited by swingitjack; 02-12-2011 at 03:26 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I liked Oscar's work with the Nat Cole Trio. (I loved that trio--no drums! I'm not against drums, mind you, but a trio that can swing without a drummer--Oscar Peterson's trio with Herb Ellis was even more impressive--does a lot for me.) I really liked the way they did "Frim Fram Sauce" and "Sweet Lorraine." And of course, "Straighten Up And Fly Right."

User Info Menu

Here's a live performance of "Route 66," complete with bongo player! Oscar plays a lot tasty stuff that's not shown, though you can see him take his solo.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting all of these clips. They are all available on recordings and DVD, I recommend buying them!

User Info Menu

I'm a fan!

Quote Originally Posted by markerhodes
    I liked Oscar's work with the Nat Cole Trio. (I loved that trio--no drums! I'm not against drums, mind you, but a trio that can swing without a drummer--Oscar Peterson's trio with Herb Ellis was even more impressive--does a lot for me.)
    So true. The gypsy jazzers have kept this alive -- propelling a combo with the rhythmic guitar. It's a great way to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stackabones
    So true. The gypsy jazzers have kept this alive -- propelling a combo with the rhythmic guitar. It's a great way to play.
    Yeah, I love that stuff. Some bluegrass works this way too. (Not jazz, I know, but some of that stuff's a hoot, and some of those "flatpickin' hicks" can fly!)

User Info Menu

Here's a live performance of "Route 66," complete with bongo player! Oscar plays a lot tasty stuff that's not shown, though you can see him take his solo.

This isn't Oscar Moore, this is Irving Ashby playing a Stromberg guitar.
    Last edited by monk; 02-12-2011 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Oops, my bad! Sorry about that gaffe. Monk, thanks for pointing it out.

User Info Menu

Yeah, I love that stuff. Some bluegrass works this way too. (Not jazz, I know, but some of that stuff's a hoot, and some of those "flatpickin' hicks" can fly!)
    I don't listen to too much bluegrass, though I love David Grisman's Dawg music (and some he's done with Jerry Garcia and also with Frank Vignola), but I totally dig the way they approach tunes and performance. It's really enjoyable music to hear live.

Yeah, ya gotta watch out for some of those flatpickers. They'll peel the frets right off the fretboard.

User Info Menu

Oscar Moore was with the King Cole Trio from 1937 to 1947. Playing acoustic archtop guitar, Moore quickly became well known for his skill between 1937 and 1939. He was somewhat overshadowed by the arrival of Charlie Christian in 1939. Upon Christian's death in 1942, Moore's popularity rose again, this time as an electric guitarist.

Most of the arrangements for the group were done by Moore. Originally a co-op, the money was split equally and when Moore left the group he was reportedly making $57,000 a year.

His decision to leave was not because of the pop material the Trio was recording as is sometimes reported but because Cole caved in to record company demands to place Moore and bassist Johnny Miller on "sideman salaries". Moore and Miller sued Cole for breach of promise in 1947. but lost. Moore played in his brother's R&B group Johnny Moore and the Three Blazers from 1947 to 1954.
    Last edited by monk; 02-12-2011 at 10:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow! I never knew anybody transcribed Moore's solos. Bigsby, is that the title of the booklet? I'd love to get my hands on a copy. Oscar Moore is one of my idols...

User Info Menu

I also have a copy of the Oscar Moore Guitar Solos.

The publisher bracketed Oscar's solo with the melody of Cole's piano intro and vocal accompaniment to create an "expanded" arrangement. So Oscar's true solo is imbedded in the middle.

Since this was published in 1947 when most guitarists were musically literate, there is only standard notation.

This isn't the only Oscar Moore folio that was published. There was a second titled Oscar Moore Guitaristics that I've only seen a picture of but would love to find a copy.

Here's a pdf of the cover:

User Info Menu

Way cool, I didn't know about the second one. Two songs ( Easy Listening Blues & Gee, Baby... )from the first one are also included in the Mel Bay book Masters Of The Plectrum Guitar.

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I wonder if there are any other Oscar Moore fans out there?

No i'm not referring to the novelist, but the jazz guitarist. He played with the King Cole Trio for many years and had a fairly unsuccessful solo career. Check out this playing on 'moonlight in vermont':

Yes there are and thanks for the message.

User Info Menu

I too have always loved Moore's playing. Nat's piano playing was truly amazing as well.

User Info Menu

I'm a huge fan of Oscar Moore. But, to me, among the most influential jazz guitarists who receive the least amount of recognition is Johnny Smith. Sure, he is mentioned, but this guy established the chord melody style. He's in my desert island discs, for sure.

User Info Menu

Yes, Johnny Smith, Van Eps and Reuss. And let's not forget Al Casey (not the rockabilly guy, the one with Fats Waller).

User Info Menu

Moore is one of my favorite guitarists of all time ! You can recognize his sound after just a few notes, and I love the slide effect he often uses, a bit less "noisy" than Les Paul's one for example (very good too by the way).

Johnny Smith is in my top 5 for sure ! I cried when I first listened to him, his touch and tone are inimitable.

Thanks for the Alan Reuss, I don't know the guy so I'll check this.

User Info Menu

Monk,

Thanks for the tunes! I knew that Reuss and Van Eps had a sophisticated harmonic style, but I've had trouble finding recordings that really showed it. Reuss is usually in the background of a big band and older Van Eps is hard to find. I have the 12 disc Johnny Smith Riverside Collection, if you want to trade some tunes. I also have the Tal Farlow collection. I believe that both are out of print. Speaking of trading tune, I have the complete Eddie Lang and Joe Venuti on Okeh. I think I'm missing some of their duo recordings though. I could also always use some more early Cole. If any of y'all want to trade some tunes, just let me know.
    Last edited by oldsouth; 03-04-2011 at 12:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Another too often overlook guitarist was the guy who played with the Mills Brothers - I can't remember his name. His intros were very charismatic. I think he did a nice box chord solo on Up a Lazy River, but that may be a later version I'm thinking of.

User Info Menu

PS,

Y'all may have noticed that I am both dyslexic and I spell everything phonetically - sorry for any confusion - spell check catches most of my mistakes, but not all.

User Info Menu

Woooa, Allan Reuss rocks ! Thanks for the discovery !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guelda
    Woooa, Allan Reuss rocks ! Thanks for the discovery !
    He doesn't rock, he swings!

User Info Menu

Prior to being in the Nat Cole Trio he was Guitarist for the Jones Boys Sing Band. I just uploaded a few recordings of them with him on them. There is also a video of him with that group:
    Last edited by AustinCaseySwing; 07-16-2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: added detail

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AustinCaseySwing
    I just uploaded a few recordings of them with him on them
    Are these available and where can we get them?