The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 80 of 80

User Info Menu

Hi all! Another old movie snippet featuring NKCT. I guess you could gleam something of Moore's technique here visually...and by ear if the audio is live. Anyone know if musicians really played in old films like this or was it some pretty spot on editing?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edward74
    Hi all! Another old movie snippet featuring NKCT. I guess you could gleam something of Moore's technique here visually...and by ear if the audio is live. Anyone know if musicians really played in old films like this or was it some pretty spot on editing?

sometimes they played their instruments but more frequently dubbed as in the linked clip. Moore's playing an acoustic guitar here and it's dubbed electric

User Info Menu

I wouldn't say he was ignored--WE are interested in him!

More to the point, how many great guitarists of subsequent years were influenced by him? A lot. His influence is probably like that of John Lee Hooker or T-Bone Walker--you hear echoes of their playing every single day if you listen to the radio, most people just don't know where it came from.

Career-wise it sounds like his timing was bad--Nat was able to move toward a more pop-oriented vocal approach, whereas Oscar was kind of stuck in a groove.

Too bad he was not heralded late in life, but he's not the first person that's happened too... Sydney Bechet, etc... He did have a good run, and his memory lives on.

User Info Menu

Oscar Moore ... there was a LOT of NKCT played in our house as a kid.

And the piano sounded awesome, Nat's voice is always charming, but the guitar stuff even as a kid always seemed "the perfect" guitar, for sound, touch, and the notes played.

Still my favorite to listen to.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

When I worked for an old jazzer in his music store, told him right off my favorite guitarist was Moore. I was 20, and he looked at me rather surprised and asked if I meant Oscar Peterson who played piano.

No, sir .. Oscar Moore of the Cole trio. Who played the most tasteful guitar ever.

Really ... he says ... and slowly smiled.

"I think we might get along well."

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk