The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

First, a documentary on the great drummer Stan Levey

A documentary about Stan's meeting with Charlie Watts, the drummer for the Rolling Stones

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the link. I read Stan's autobiography, and saw the documentary made about him. What an incredible life!
    Charlie gets a lot of respect from jazz drummers. When I was gigging with Billy Taylor's drummer Keith Copeland, he told us that when he did the tour with Stevie Wonder and The Stones, they had a jam session with both groups, and the only one who could play was Charlie Watts.
    Good clip of Bird speaking.

User Info Menu

Enjoyable. Thanks for sharing, Mark.

User Info Menu

big fan of stan...boxer and drummer!...what's not to like?!...played with so many greats

had never seen the watts film before...good stuff...big fan of jim keltner as well

cheers

User Info Menu

More on Stan, this time the focus is on the beginnings of bebop (in New York)

User Info Menu

here's a longer snippet of bird speaking with paul desmond.. that was in the watts clip ^

cheers

User Info Menu

I worked w a bassist that said he was Stan's son but it's been so long I can't remember his name or if he was any good.

User Info Menu

That sounds right, wintermoon. Evidently one of Stan's son's, Chris played bass at a professional level with Dionne Warwick, Bacharach and The Coasters and still performs but works primarily as a radiologist. Interesting to read that the band, Toto was basically formed in his father's home studio:

Angela and Chris Levey – Making Life Swing: Jazz on TV and in Other Unexpected Places

User Info Menu

Chris, that's it, was racking my brain for a while there. thanks PMB!

User Info Menu

MRhodes,

Excellent!

Thank you.