The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

Nice short feature from "Guitar Player" magazine Randy Bachman: How I Wrote "American Woman" | GuitarPlayer

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Nice short feature from "Guitar Player" magazine Randy Bachman: How I Wrote "American Woman" | GuitarPlayer
    Kinda incredible how bad music video production was back then....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz
    looking through "tech" eyes/ears...makes one wonder what will it give us in 10/20 years + that will make todays offerings seem .. "bad"

a line from the group Yacht..."...I thought the future would be cooler..I thought the brave world would be newer,,"

tell someone in 1960 about the abilities of todays cell phone...and you would be locked up...

considering the social climate in todays world...space travel does look appealing

User Info Menu

I don’t know whatcha talkin’ about...

Add some boats, some bikes and some horses and it’s all good!

User Info Menu

Wonder if Bachman ever A/B’d his American Woman tone against Clapton’s Crying Woman tone? Or Santana’s Black Magic Woman tone?

Anybody ever heard of a tone named for a guy? Me neither.

User Info Menu

Every other kind of production – television, film, music – was much better back then.

The article’s title made me think of The Fall’s How I Wrote Elastic Man.

User Info Menu

What really got me was the band setup and camera angle that perfectly obscured the lead guitarist behind the bassist. Reminded me of the scene in That Thing You Do where the TV studio crew is trying to avoid close-ups of the recently-substituted bassist. Still one of my all-time favorite fictional band movies.

User Info Menu

The lyrics to AW might have been a metaphor for something else, but I noticed a bunch of Guess Who songs that put down a woman in their lyrics. 'Undone' and the one with the line "She graduated from the school for losers".
    Might be a good PHD thesis topic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    The lyrics to AW might have been a metaphor for something else, but I noticed a bunch of Guess Who songs that put down a woman in their lyrics. 'Undone' and the one with the line "She graduated from the school for losers".
    or the Doors..20th Century Fox...it could be pro/anti woman..depending on how you view it..is she cool..or just a jerk...??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    or the Doors..20th Century Fox...it could be pro/anti woman..depending on how you view it..is she cool..or just a jerk...??
    IMHO, she's cool, very cool
    This could turn out to be a whole sub-genre of rock music:
    Dylan- "Just Like a Woman", "Like A Rolling Stone", "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright"
    Beatles- "Run For Your Life" ( the ultimate misogynist song), "Day Tripper"
    Stones- "19th Nervous Breakdown", "Mother's Little Helper", "Under My Thumb", "Some Girls".
    Zeppelin- "She's Just a Woman",etc...

joelf Guest
    Sorry to be a wet blanket, but what an awful song! All I remember is the 'lyrics' being screamed---and that's enough...

User Info Menu

While I sympathize with the song's antiwar lyrics, I generally dislike polemic songs and this one is no exception. The riff is pretty basic even for hard rock, and I'm an oddball who thinks that allegory only works when it isn't so obvious. You have an opinion. That's nice.

The only song I've ever liked from the GW is "No Time". It too casts a woman in the role of antagonist (this time literally rather than metaphorically imo). Somebody was havin' a bad couple of years.

User Info Menu

I have this dim recollection about Randy Bachman and Guitar Player, and maybe you oldtimers can correct me.

Until about 50 years ago Guitar Player and its readers were mostly about jazz, and Bachman was one of the first rock guys to get a serious profile in the magazine. He was somewhat earnest and told the interviewer that he learned to play Chet Atkins songs note for note as part of learning to play guitar. The next month's letters to the editor were brutal, incredulous that he could play at that level "this guy can only play three chords, why is he in the magazine?" Soon there after rock players were regularly on the cover. Anyway, that's how I remember it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nopedals
    I have this dim recollection about Randy Bachman and Guitar Player, and maybe you oldtimers can correct me.

Until about 50 years ago Guitar Player and its readers were mostly about jazz, and Bachman was one of the first rock guys to get a serious profile in the magazine. He was somewhat earnest and told the interviewer that he learned to play Chet Atkins songs note for note as part of learning to play guitar. The next month's letters to the editor were brutal, incredulous that he could play at that level "this guy can only play three chords, why is he in the magazine?" Soon there after rock players were regularly on the cover. Anyway, that's how I remember it.
    I started reading GP in the fall of '69, IIRC. Either Leslie West or Jimi Hendrix was the cover story. My recollection of those early days, when Jim Crockett(sp?) was editor was that they covered everyone who played guitar- classical, flamenco, Jazz, blues, country, folk, rock, pop, whatever. What I do distinctly remember is that many of the jazz guys favorably spoke of Duane Allman's playing. The approach was very eclectic, and I read every issue cover-to-cover over and over until the copies disintegrated. By the time i stopped collecting the magazines, I had a three-foot tall stack moldering in the garage. I had to stop, the GAS was killing me.
    Last edited by citizenk74; 06-21-2020 at 09:55 PM. Reason: clarity

User Info Menu

^ absolutely ck74... super eclectic!!..they had a real mix/fusion...often rock guys in feature story or on cover, but inside was everything...and the columns in back...jerry hahn, tommy tedesco, carol kaye, howard roberts, etc etc

i used to study those mags...

to jim crockett!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ^ absolutely ck74... super eclectic!!..they had a real mix/fusion...often rock guys in feature story or on cover, but inside was everything...and the columns in back...jerry hahn, tommy tedesco, carol kaye, howard roberts, etc etc

i used to study those mags...

to jim crockett!

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I don’t know whatcha talkin’ about...

Add some boats, some bikes and some horses and it’s all good!

And blowguns! I have one of my own for non-leathally chasing away critters.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nopedals

$

Let's face it----and DB, same thing. Not dissing rock here, but the marketplace is what it is...

User Info Menu

A couple of BTO tunes with some great guitar work that jazzers should appreciate, especially the outros

Blue Collar, one of my favorite solos:

Lookin' Out for #1:

User Info Menu

a jazzier guess who

undun

cheers

User Info Menu

I remember Guitar Player as being fairly eclectic.
    I just did a search just now for the first issue (from 1967) and although I have not seen a copy, the featured artists were: Chet Atkins, Barney Kessel, Charlie Byrd, and the Jefferson Airplane.

I bought the mag at a Nashville grocery store in the early '70s. Not religiously, just whenever. Classical and country artists seemed to get their share of attention. Some of the lessons in the back were way over my head while others were less daunting.

The older I got, the more the lessons made sense to me. ;o) I think the mag always had a soft-spot for good blues guitarists who had paid their dues. BB King was on the cover more than once. There was a great interview with BB that Billy Gibbons took part in. (Billy was asking some of the questions; Jas Orbecht was author of the piece.) Talks about getting his first gig in Memphis, about his cousin Bukka White, fascinating stuff.

User Info Menu

jas obrecht has wonderful archive site with interviews from gp & more

Jas Obrecht Archive

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    I always heard that the "American Woman" was the Statue Of Liberty.

User Info Menu