The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    While I sympathize with the song's antiwar lyrics, I generally dislike polemic songs and this one is no exception. The riff is pretty basic even for hard rock, and I'm an oddball who thinks that allegory only works when it isn't so obvious. You have an opinion. That's nice.

The only song I've ever liked from the GW is "No Time". It too casts a woman in the role of antagonist (this time literally rather than metaphorically imo). Somebody was havin' a bad couple of years.
    That's another one for my sub-genre list, thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I started reading GP in the fall of '69, IIRC. Either Leslie West or Jimi Hendrix was the cover story. My recollection of those early days, when Jim Crockett(sp?) was editor was that they covered everyone who played guitar- classical, flamenco, Jazz, blues, country, folk, rock, pop, whatever. What I do distinctly remember is that many of the jazz guys favorably spoke of Duane Allman's playing. The approach was very eclectic, and I read every issue cover-to-cover over and over until the copies disintegrated. By the time i stopped collecting the magazines, I had a three-foot tall stack moldering in the garage. I had to stop, the GAS was killing me.
    GP was the only rag I ever subscribed to (20 years, roughly), precisely because they were so eclectic in their coverage. I could read about Ed Bickert, Tony Iommi, Jerry Reed, de Lucia ... sometimes in the same issue, it seemed.

I let my sub lapse when they started abbreviating their articles and referring to their website.

User Info Menu

"The only song I've ever liked from the GW is "No Time""

What, no love for "No Sugar"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    "The only song I've ever liked from the GW is "No Time""

What, no love for "No Sugar"?
    No sugar for that song tonight ... or any other night, I'm afraid.

I just never had it in for that band's songs, I guess. But "No Time" hit me, oddly enough, at the right time to make sense to me. Plus, those clean arpeggiations are a wonder to behold. Perfect counterpoint to the gritty riff.

User Info Menu

What, no love for "Clap for the Wolfman"????
    Not my favorite either, but it popped into my head and now I can't shake it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    A couple of BTO tunes with some great guitar work that jazzers should appreciate, especially the outros

Blue Collar, one of my favorite solos:

Lookin' Out for #1:
    And a couple of cool vids of that old and not so old.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    What, no love for "Clap for the Wolfman"????
    Not my favorite either, but it popped into my head and now I can't shake it out.

I got got got got no time for that, lol. It's all good.

User Info Menu

^
    it's all accordin to how your boogaloo situation stands......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    ^
    it's all accordin to how your boogaloo situation stands......

Let’s not bring the accordion into it.

What’s next, ukulele? Banjo?

User Info Menu

And even Jazzier Bachman .
    They used to.play this on the Smooth Jazz Radio Stations right
    next to Metheny, Sanborn , Grover Washington, Kenny G , and Shardè.