The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

I like it! For me it brings back fond memories of being young, listening to new music, going to new places, trying new things. Ahh the good ol' days

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    i liked, and still do, the whole first electric miles period from in a silent way thru pangaea...still listen to them regularly...has to be remembered that miles was recording fairly loose jams with a variety of players and the results were then edited by teo macero into the records we now know...

if you have the bitches brew box you can hear the jams from which the original recording were put together from...

if you like the miles electric stuff, make sure to check the bill laswell remixes on the album panthalassa...he re-edits and remixes, transforming the old tapes into sonic bliss

cheers
    I love Panthalassa

User Info Menu

For me it was a gateway recording that led me to recordings by all the participants.

My first three jazz records were Tony Williams Lifetime (Turn It Over), John Coltrane (Sunship), and Miles Davis (Bitches Brew).

Weather Report followed shortly (I Sing and the first one).

Still going to school on those recordings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I love Panthalassa
    yes that Bill Laswell record is great, it’s an excellent cherry-pick of the best bits from those forbiddingly long 70s albums and with much improved sound, especially the drums:

User Info Menu

‘Aura’ is great too, with John McLaughlin:

User Info Menu

I like it but its not my favorite. I haven't listened to it in years. My favorites Miles recording from that period are "Jack Johnson", "In a Silent Way", and "Agarta".

I listened today to Weather Reports "I sing the Body Electric"....I love the live cuts , Mahavishnu Orchestra "Visions of the Emerald Beyond" and Carlos Santana/Alice Coltrane " Illuminations". I was in a 70's fusion frame of mind. I cleansed my palate if you will with George Benson's "Bad Benson". The bonus cut of "Serbian Blue" contains some monster riffage from GB.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'm joining others in liking it, and liking In A Silent Way more, but d'you know what I listen to more often? His final Prestige recording, Walkin', Cookin', Relaxin', Workin' and Steamin'.

And we haven't even mentioned Kinda Blue...
    I love those Prestige albums as well as Someday My Prince Will Come, not to mention Kind Of Blue, but Miles lost me at Bitches and beyond.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Bitches is such a great record...iconic. There was before Bitches and after...

I agree with the above...it’s like Clockwork Orange, can’t listen to it everyday.

Teo Macero seems to have played an outsized role with this album. He has come in for a fair amount of criticism, but his role in sculpting Miles’ sound and that of others like Brubeck is undeniable.

From his Wiki entry:

Behind the scenes, Miles and Teo took the tapes of the In a Silent Way sessions and transformed some beautiful, folk-tinged, melody-driven sets into two exquisite, beguiling and otherworldly pieces of music. Using techniques that pre-dated the proliferation of tape loops, cut-ups, edits and sequencing in rock, pop, hip hop and dance music, Miles and Teo took apart the original recording and reassembled them outside of any traditional or accepted jazz structure or melodic framework. This idea of taking jazz away from its birth, genesis and flowering as a live art and into the studio would soon become standard practice, but in 1969 it was groundbreaking.

It took a force like Teo to splice together a cohesive album out of so many inspired pieces. Not only did Teo have the balls to stand up to Miles on creative decisions, he had the right. And Miles knew it. And while his ego rebelled against any producer messing with his music, Miles knew that incredibly great records were borne out of the conflict and compromise of his relationship with Teo.

Macero's innovative techniques were inspired partially by his association with avant-garde composer Edgard Varèse, and they continue to impact the way musicians, producers, and remixers work in the studio today. Brian Eno, a producer who has worked extensively with U2 and Talking Heads, among others, talked about Macero's influence on him in a 1996 interview with jazzthetik magazine. Eno describes being "fascinated" by Macero's editing techniques and the "spatial" quality he added to the music. "He did something that was extremely modern."

I will say that anything with Bernie Maupin playing bass clarinet is off-the-chart awesome. My favorite instrument among the instruments one doesn’t hear too often on recordings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    ‘Aura’ is great too, with John McLaughlin:

aura is beautifull!

User Info Menu

Yes. I haven't listened to it for awhile but there was a time it was glued to my TURNTABLE.

User Info Menu

I love everything Miles, including BBrew. Been listening to it for 50 years and still put it on from time to time.

For myself, Miles from beginning to end is kinda like the primordial stew that most of my music comes from in some form or other. We all know the list of players. Different periods bubble to the top of the playlist from time to time. Spent a few months listening to Donna Lee recently while I was learning that one. That's how he rolls for me.

Currently on a more mid-60's kick though. Up to Nefertiti. You know... the one that led to Silent Way that led to Bitches that led to... :)

User Info Menu

Bitches Brew is a really important record for me. Along with some Ornette, Sonny Sharrock and Cecil Taylor, it helped form the basis for my playing.

But I totally get that some people just don't dig it. And that's cool too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmpmcdermott
    Bitches Brew is a really important record for me. Along with some Ornette, Sonny Sharrock and Cecil Taylor, it helped form the basis for my playing.

But I totally get that some people just don't dig it. And that's cool too!
    Absolutely. How boring it would be if we were all the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    Ditto! I have the complete In A Silent Way (3 disks) and it's hypnotic.
    I prefer In a Silent Way to Bitches Brew about 50 to 1.

User Info Menu

Some of it. I love Miles Runs the Voodoo Down. One of my favourite Davis recordings in any era along with Right Off from Jack Johnson. Sanctuary is hauntingly beautiful. I like John MacLaughlin and Spanish key for their grooves. There's energy to them. The title track and Phaorahs Dance are too meandering and directionless for me to sit through anymore, especially the out of time sections on BB. I tend to like electric miles better when there's a beat to it.

I have the box set, and some of the outtakes/alternative takes is as good as the released album. I understand one of the versions of Double Image is also on Live-Evil (i haven't heard that album in a couple of decades), and that's some masterful playing from John McLaughlin

User Info Menu

Another great update:

User Info Menu

I did like Bitches Brew but remember thinking that this needs kinda special mood to listen through. I've had it once

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    Another great update:

yeah, lots of miles ex-players on that...inc. pete cosey!...dave liebman, mike stern, michael henderson and mclaughlin

cheers

User Info Menu

It's a classic for sure

User Info Menu

This thread just made me realize why my Jazz musical tastes are somewhat limited. I came to Jazz later in life.

When you are young, you have time to experiment with different styles of music and sub-styles of a certain type of music. But like certain styles of food, or certain dishes, if I don't like the way it tastes, I am going to move on to something that I like because my "playtime" is limited.

And can't get enough of the styles of music and Jazz that I already like, so there is sadly no room for gaining appreciation for any other.

Maybe when the kids are gone and I can once again sit around and have more time to myself to listen....