Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 45

User Info Menu

Just wondering.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes !

User Info Menu

Love it. Seriously. It sounds dated now, but has some serious grooves and moments of magic. I prefer the album that paved the way to it, In A Silent Way.

User Info Menu

i really like it but i dont listen to it.

got to be in the right mood, which for me seems to be once every few years.

User Info Menu

Love it, but like basinstreet said, I need to be in the mood for it, it’s like going into a trance or something!

I love the way they used multiple electric pianos, great sound. I kind of wish Miles had used that sound in the 80s instead of those cheesy synths, I reckon it would have dated better! Funky retro Rhodes piano seems to be making a bit of a comeback these days.

User Info Menu

Not really. I feel somehow like I should, and I've given it a lot of spins, but no not really.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Love it. Seriously. It sounds dated now, but has some serious grooves and moments of magic. I prefer the album that paved the way to it, In A Silent Way.
    Ditto! I have the complete In A Silent Way (3 disks) and it's hypnotic.

User Info Menu

Yes, then. No, now.

User Info Menu

Like others here I like it and appreciate it, but it is not a frequent listen for me. To me it is like other great art that is making a statement and/or pushing boundaries, but not meant to be easily digestible or enjoyable. Similar to classical pieces by Schoenberg, Webern, etc. Movies can be similar as well, like something like "Requiem for a Dream" or "A Clockwork Orange"

User Info Menu

Absolutely love it. Still sounds heavy and current to me, much more than Miles' later electric work.

In a Silent Way also really holds up for me.

User Info Menu

Sure i do. I like 'in a silent way' even more.

User Info Menu

Yes it's great

User Info Menu

Disc 2 is much more conventional sounding jazz rock than Disc 1

i wonder if the track order was different if it would have such a reputation for difficulty?

User Info Menu

Bitches Brew is what drew me to Miles when it was released. A forerunner of sorts to the jazz-rock that was beginning in the day. From there I backed up to Miles earlier groups and now prefer his 50's bands mostly. Heard him in concert during that time as well which was a treat. So, yes, I like BB but these days don't listen to it all that often.

User Info Menu

I'm joining others in liking it, and liking In A Silent Way more, but d'you know what I listen to more often? His final Prestige recording, Walkin', Cookin', Relaxin', Workin' and Steamin'.

And we haven't even mentioned Kinda Blue...

User Info Menu

Some tracks are more badass than others. "Spanish Key" is a groovy blast. The title track can sound like a 1970s public service announcement about the dangers of PCP.

All the electric stuff from 'Brew' to 'Agartha' is good jogging music! All that neurotic funk and tension makes you want to keep moving down the road, and there are lots of hip licks flying by from the various players to appreciate.

User Info Menu

I prefer in a Silent Way too.

User Info Menu

I prefer Tutu!

User Info Menu

No

User Info Menu

i liked, and still do, the whole first electric miles period from in a silent way thru pangaea...still listen to them regularly...has to be remembered that miles was recording fairly loose jams with a variety of players and the results were then edited by teo macero into the records we now know...

if you have the bitches brew box you can hear the jams from which the original recording were put together from...

if you like the miles electric stuff, make sure to check the bill laswell remixes on the album panthalassa...he re-edits and remixes, transforming the old tapes into sonic bliss

cheers

User Info Menu

An all-time favorite.

Always sounds fresh to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I'm joining others in liking it, and liking In A Silent Way more, but d'you know what I listen to more often? His final Prestige recording, Walkin', Cookin', Relaxin', Workin' and Steamin'.

And we haven't even mentioned Kinda Blue...
    For me, those are in a class by themselves. What a lineup! And correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that they were all together recorded in about a week so that Miles could get out of his contract with Prestige so that he could sign with Columbia. Wow!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by darkwaters
    For me, those are in a class by themselves. What a lineup! And correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that they were all together recorded in about a week so that Miles could get out of his contract with Prestige so that he could sign with Columbia. Wow!
    Pretty close: Miles Davis discography - Wikipedia

April 3, 1954 Walkin'
    October 26, 1956 Cookin'
    May 11 - October 26, 1956 Relaxin'
    May 11 - October 26, 1956 Workin'
    May 11 - October 26, 1956 Steamin'

Busy, day, October 26!

User Info Menu

I'll have to give it a listen, not put on any electric Miles in years.
    I'll whisper this very quietly, but I've never really got Miles Davis. I like a lot of his stuff with Coltrane, especially the live recordings. I like some of his Gil Evans albums too, and Birth of the Cool. But in general he just doesn't grab me emotionally the way certain other canonical jazz greats do (e.g. Coltrane, Monk, Mingus) or even notable Davis collaborators like Wayne Shorter or Tony Williams. Maybe there's something wrong with my ears.

User Info Menu

No, it's too out there for me. My tastes are unbelievably vanilla. To give you an idea, Willie Nelson's Stardust was my springboard into jazz.