The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

A while back I posted some interviews from the UK 'Guitar' magazine in the 1970s, however some of the posts seem to have disappeared from the forum. At least I could not find them either using 'advanced search' or via google.

So I am re-posting the whole lot as they were pretty interesting. The interviews were all around 1974/1975, with Derek Bailey, George Benson, Allan Holdsworth, Joe Pass, Terry Smith and Louis Stewart.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Good stuff. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Wow! Thank you!!

User Info Menu

The funny thing is that back in the 70s I was learning classical guitar and also getting into rock, that was why I subscribed to that magazine. I had no interest whatsoever in the jazz articles. But for some reason I kept a bound volume of the first 12 copies, which I still have.

Luckily these issues contained the above jazz interviews, so years later they suddenly became a lot more interesting to me!

There was also a later issue with an interview with Doug and Jimmy Raney, but unfortunately that seems to have gone to the great dustbin in the sky. However as I recall, it was very short and I don’t think it contained much I haven’t read elsewhere. Mainly Doug talking about how he learned jazz guitar off records (his dad being absent in those days). Jimmy hardly featured in it, I think he fell asleep in the hotel room during the interview!

There may be some classical and rock guitarist interviews too, maybe I’ll dig them out and if any good, post them in the relevant areas of the forum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The funny thing is that back in the 70s I was learning classical guitar and also getting into rock, that was why I subscribed to that magazine. I had no interest whatsoever in the jazz articles. But for some reason I kept a bound volume of the first 12 copies, which I still have.

Luckily these issues contained the above jazz interviews, so years later they suddenly became a lot more interesting to me!

There was also a later issue with an interview with Doug and Jimmy Raney, but unfortunately that seems to have gone to the great dustbin in the sky. However as I recall, it was very short and I don’t think it contained much I haven’t read elsewhere. Mainly Doug talking about how he learned jazz guitar off records (his dad being absent in those days). Jimmy hardly featured in it, I think he fell asleep in the hotel room during the interview!

There may be some classical and rock guitarist interviews too, maybe I’ll dig them out and if any good, post them in the relevant areas of the forum.
    I don't think I've heard of that magazine.
    Those 12 issues, they're an example (of a sort) of someone passing on their knowledge. And so in at least some way it's certainly valuable.
    I'm sure there will be interest in other parts of the forum for the classical and rock interviews.

I'd a kind of similar experience many years ago when a guitar player asked me to photograph his collection of instruments (I notice the Flickr url in your signature, so I'll add that in those pre digital days I shot it on E-6, point being he knew exactly what he wanted) it took a few days and in the process he would sometimes mention a fact about a guitar and augment it with a feature from Guitar Player magazine or a catalogue. Anyway, to cut an already long story short, a few years later I received a message from him asking if I wanted those 'old magazines'. Within the week numerous boxes were delivered, with material going back to the early 70s up until the 1980s.

In this instance my initial reaction was along the lines of "Who is George Van Eps?"

User Info Menu

Great set of interviews. Thank you for making them available to us.

User Info Menu

Thanks! Great reading!

User Info Menu

I printed out the Terry Smith interview. What a treasure; he seemingly never cared about publicity at any point in his career.
    I read the Tubby Hayes bio recently, "The Long Shadow of the Little Giant", and there was section on Louis Stewart. Tubbs had formed a quartet with LS at one time, and they sounded fine when playing live, but LS had Red Light Fever back then.
    When they tried to record in the studio, LS just couldn't get it together.
    As a result, Tubbs had to can the session.
    I think they released it after Tubbs died.
    This could account for the time someone raved to me about LS, right after I heard a recording of him where he obviously choked.
    Since then, I've heard may recordings of him, (mostly live), and he sounds fantastic!

User Info Menu

Thanks Graham,

Yeah Terry Smith & Louis Stewart both great.

User Info Menu

Thanks Graham, I enjoyed the interviews.

User Info Menu

I saw Terry Smith once and spoke to him after the gig, he was great.

Saw Louis Stewart 3 times, also great. The first time I saw him, he put his guitar on my table during the interval, and asked me to look after it while he went to the bar!

User Info Menu

So, Graham, do you still have his guitar?

User Info Menu

Well, let’s just say the 2nd and 3rd times I saw him were a bit awkward, he kept asking for it back...

User Info Menu

I've now posted the remaining interviews in the Classical Guitar and Other Styles sections.