The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

This is in all probability a (4-string) RESONATOR Tenor-guitar - National sold quite a lot of these and some Plectrum models also.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1920‘s/30‘s JAZZ players using Resonator guitars ?-natten-1-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, it is almost certainly a tenor guitar. Not only is it more logical (banjo to tenor guitar as an evolutionary step), but in a quick search, I can't find anything online to indicate that bass reso guitars existed before the 1990s or so. I thought I was being observant.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    This is in all probability a (4-string) RESONATOR Tenor-guitar - National sold quite a lot of these and some Plectrum models also.
    I had a national tenor, not as pretty as this one - it is kind of olive drab, and is now my middle granddaughter's. Loud & proud.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I had a national tenor, not as pretty as this one - it is kind of olive drab, and is now my middle granddaughter's. Loud & proud.
    I had a line on a 20's National Plectrum guitar but passed when I found a lovely parlor-sized 6-string Reso by John Morton who sadly passed away last year. These make excellent rhythm guitars in a Swing/Oldtime band when you don't need (or want..) the cutting power of a Tenor or Plectrum Banjo ... Loud and Proud it is !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I'm aware of the many Blues artists that quickly adapted the Reso's for their superior volume - I'm particularly interested in those "orchestra" guitarist that switched from a 4/6-string Banjo to the equally loud but less piercing sounding Resonator Guitar ....
    It's quite rare to see 2 (!) guitarists/banjoists in a larger ensemble , in any era so Tuba Skinny is quite the exception these days ! It certainly helps the band's overall sound giving the music a solid harmonic foundation and a strong rhythmic pulse together with the bass drum and washboard.
    Hey, thanks for mentioning this. I am about to start playing with a Dixieland and Harlem style jazz band (all acoustic) I have a tenor banjo, but I need a resonator guitar (I suspect I need an all-metal body). I don't know whether I should go for the biscuit or spider resonator. Any ideas what would work best?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cam4
    Hey, thanks for mentioning this. I am about to start playing with a Dixieland and Harlem style jazz band (all acoustic) I have a tenor banjo, but I need a resonator guitar (I suspect I need an all-metal body). I don't know whether I should go for the biscuit or spider resonator. Any ideas what would work best?

User Info Menu

Garoto, one of Brazil’s great guitarists (though on tenor) played a 1930s National Triolian tenor until switching to the Del Vechio resontor in the 40s. Del Vechios were made famous by Chet Atkins and Nato Lima of Los Indios Tabajares. Check out some of the Carmen Miranda recordings with Garoto from the ‘30s on, they are pretty incredible.

And this guy…..

1920‘s/30‘s JAZZ players using Resonator guitars ?-ee658141-09b2-4175-82d4-def07b67b3b1-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Neer
    Garoto, one of Brazil’s great guitarists (though on tenor) played a 1930s National Triolian tenor until switching to the Del Vechio resontor in the 40s. Del Vechios were made famous by Chet Atkins and Nato Lima of Los Indios Tabajares. Check out some of the Carmen Miranda recordings with Garoto from the ‘30s on, they are pretty incredible.

And this guy…..

1920‘s/30‘s JAZZ players using Resonator guitars ?-ee658141-09b2-4175-82d4-def07b67b3b1-jpg
    This is a great photo in every way! Cab muggin' it while Duke plays a guitar, and a 14 fret National Triolian to boot!