The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, this is wonderful!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When I visited him years ago, he had a practice of overlaying (re-harmonizing) every chord with various modes of the melodic minor scale. It can sound harsh. Mark Levine does it to in practice, use melodic minor on every chord there is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    When I visited him years ago, he had a practice of overlaying (re-harmonizing) every chord with various modes of the melodic minor scale. It can sound harsh. Mark Levine does it to in practice, use melodic minor on every chord there is.
    yeah...alot of fusion players use it ..myself included..all the implied chords embedded in the augmented scale can be used and of course you can see/use the last four chords in the harmonized scale
    as dominants..allowing the altered scale to be used.. and harsh is being kind..it can be real nasty..but its fusion...

in a more traditional context it behaves fairly well when used with restraint...but not on EVERY chord..thats just not right...

User Info Menu

The tonic becomes mode Major 7 +5. , the minor 7 becomes minor major 7 or minor 7 b5. The dominants are already there... killing trad harmony.

User Info Menu

Gotta say, I'm glad John didn't bring up the topic in his walk through. My takeaway is that I see some new grips and hear some nice voice leading ideas that inspire me.

User Info Menu

stowell is just so good...a technician with moves...

i liked the fact that he mentions ted greene

also amused that he put those "wings" on his guitar...and the top bout looks like its digging into his neck when he plays...like a chin rest!!!...don't get why he'd want that...but to each his own...

doesn't diminish from his greatness one iota! his guitar posture and finger stretches are classic

cheers

User Info Menu

Big Mr Stowell fun here........Just had an hour long conversation with John and He allowed me to share it so I'll share it also with you....I hope you will find it as informative, insightful and inspiring as much as I did