The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I got a surprise in the post this morning, a book called Stomping' Guitar by Ulrich Hoffmeier. It has a picture of Uli on the cover, with his magnificent Sonntag archtop. On the inside he added a hand-written note, thanking me for inspiration. I was very surprised and intrigued, especially as I do not see myself as a "real" jazz player.

Ulrich Hoffmeier - Rhythm Master-uli-jpg

The book seems without question the best I have seen BY FAR for "Big Band, Combo and Orchestra" rhythm guitar. The only "problem" is that it is written in German. It's not a problem though, as all the instructions look very clear, and there is a DVD with Uli demonstrating what to do. I'm really impressed with the book/dvd combo!

So, I went to Uli's website to try to find an email address so I could thank him for the book and his kind words, but for the life of me I cannot find an email address. Here's his website, should you want to try: Uli Hoffmeier -Home EDIT: found it on another website: http://www.premier-swingtett.com/index.php?id=21

If you are into the James Chirillo school of rhythm playing, you will love this book. It even has a chapter on Freddie Green's "one-note chord" walking-tenor lines.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

His new e-mail is:
    uli_hoffmeier@yahoo.de
    Sincerely

User Info Menu

Danke!

User Info Menu

Wonderful! That’s fantastic Rob, look forward to checking out that book.

User Info Menu

I found this on youtube:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I found this on youtube:

Rob,
    Your friend needs to tune his guitar. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu