The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I've never liked the mix on "Pure Desmond" and now I think I will like it even less, hearing how good this combination of players can be when properly mixed and balanced. It's like having them in your living room.
    I was barely alive when Pure Desmond was released on LP, but I've had it on CD since the late 80s, and that first Columbia CD release from around 1987 blows the doors off of the CTI 40th anniversary edition CD that came out around 2011. Maybe you aren't a fan of any of the CD or LP editions, but they really screwed that album up on the "deluxe" CD remastering...very compressed and wearying sound. The re-release also uses the same take of Nuages for both "master" and "alternate", and on each version, the track is missing part of the opening section (something like 8 bars in one case, and 16 in another). It's such a hack job, literally and figuratively...I guess that's to be expected from a giant conglomerate like Sony Music that just wants to re-sell the album to meet some quarterly sales goal.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    I was barely alive when Pure Desmond was released on LP, but I've had it on CD since the late 80s, and that first Columbia CD release from around 1987 blows the doors off of the CTI 40th anniversary edition CD that came out around 2011. Maybe you aren't a fan of any of the CD or LP editions, but they really screwed that album up on the "deluxe" CD remastering...very compressed and wearying sound. The re-release also uses the same take of Nuages for both "master" and "alternate", and on each version, the track is missing part of the opening section (something like 8 bars in one case, and 16 in another). It's such a hack job, literally and figuratively...I guess that's to be expected from a giant conglomerate like Sony Music that just wants to re-sell the album to meet some quarterly sales goal.
    I've read that before (perhaps from you!), but unfortunately I have the anniversary edition. I tried buying the prior edition off of eBay, based on the photographs presented in the auction, and it turned out to be the same one so that was disappointing. I now have two copies of a sucky-mastered CD. I have never heard the original vinyl version. The CD I have not only is compressed to death, Desmond is mixed far forward and everybody else is mixed so far back as to be barely audible. It seems quite out of step with the liner notes in which Desmond says he thinks of the album as being as much Ed's as his. So to me the sound balance on the boxed set is a revelation.

User Info Menu

Late arriving Christmas gift:

Bickert - Desmond-8f4f190d-93f9-466a-ba49-299d3aa5cadb-jpg

User Info Menu

Absolutely outstanding boxed set, far better sounding than the Pure Desmond album.

User Info Menu

Just ordered the set. The first Live album from the 80s was a lodestone for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Absolutely outstanding boxed set, far better sounding than the Pure Desmond album.
    Wow, I thought the Pure Desmond album had fantastic sound, compared to all of Ed's stuff I bought on Sackville and Concord.
    This is definitely going to be a late Christmas gift to myself!

User Info Menu

I need to keep away from these threads, too tempting.
    the good news for me is this box is back ordered.
    I have a zillion records already so I don't really need this....or do I?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Wow, I thought the Pure Desmond album had fantastic sound, compared to all of Ed's stuff I bought on Sackville and Concord.
    I've never heard the vinyl album mix; on the CD Ed and the band are mixed so low and so compressed compared to Desmond. I've even bought two different versions of the CD, same problem- the remastered anniversary version is terrible IMHO. The Japanese version is reputed to be better.

User Info Menu

I think Ed’s albums as a leader on Concord sound pretty good, except for maybe overly dry drums typical of the label.

And on the live Frank Rosolino record on Sackville, Ed is mixed nice and hot. Some of his best playing still available on record (until I get to sit with this Desmond box set, we’ll see...)

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim

User Info Menu

Older thread but....How does one know which CD version they have. I do have a CD copy but it doesn't say 40th Anniversary it says "The Original CTI Recordings Digitally Remastered For Compact Disc"
    The number on the side of the case insert says "ZK40806" so...??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Naquat
    Older thread but....How does one know which CD version they have. I do have a CD copy but it doesn't say 40th Anniversary it says "The Original CTI Recordings Digitally Remastered For Compact Disc"
    The number on the side of the case insert says "ZK40806" so...??
    I think you you are confusing albums.The original being discussed here came out on vinyl in 1975 on horizon records.Two years ago the full concert dates was published with a 7 cd set on Mosaic.Desmond did put albums out on CTI but that has nothing to do with the album being discussed.

User Info Menu

I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to the "Pure Desmond" CD mentioned above that came out in the 80's v later on.