The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hello there friends!!
    I just watched this video from Jim Hall and I thought that would be great to share with you!
    I loved it so much. The dynamic, phrasing, notes, time fell. It's sounds like an orchestra with the guitar. Perfect!!

It's a 16 bar blues and you need to be "careful" playing it to not change to a 12 bar blues.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

a master player with a masters axe- jimmy D!!! nothin better!!

notice hall using guitar volume knob...he's almost acoustic until solo, then he rolls it up...brilliant

if jim ever had amp troubles on a gig, he'd tell sound techs to just mic him acoustically...he got enough out of an electric arch acoustically to carry on

intimate portrait of a great/2 greats, that vid ^ is

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-30-2020 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typo-

User Info Menu

Steve Khan once wrote a blog post about this tune and his early-70s guitar lessons with Jim Hall. He discusses a couple of 1960s recorded versions of Careful, including a rare one done live in Berlin for a jazz guitar festival that he thinks highly of, and the original, released on a very early Gary Burton album.

Jim Hall "Careful!" Solo Transcription and Analysis by Steve Khan

Jim must have really loved playing it. He recorded at least 4 studio versions of it, and played it live for decades. At the Town Hall tribute concert he did in 1990, it was the final jam session tune he did with Scofield, Abercrombie, Goodrick, and Bernstein.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    Steve Khan once wrote a blog post about this tune and his early-70s guitar lessons with Jim Hall. He discusses a couple of 1960s recorded versions of Careful, including a rare one done live in Berlin for a jazz guitar festival that he thinks highly of, and the original, released on a very early Gary Burton album.

Jim Hall "Careful!" Solo Transcription and Analysis by Steve Khan

Jim must have really loved playing it. He recorded at least 4 studio versions of it, and played it live for decades. At the Town Hall tribute concert he did in 1990, it was the final jam session tune he did with Scofield, Abercrombie, Goodrick, and Bernstein.
    Actually the original was done in the late 50s by the Jimmy Giuffre Trio. I've been playing that tune for over 40 years at least.

User Info Menu

jim hall wrote -careful- when he was a member of the jimmy giuffre trio...

this is a live version from italy...june 1959....before it was cut in the studio, a couple of months later for giuffre trio -easy way -lp

cheers

User Info Menu

Jim was the best in his day, and will remain one of the all-time greats for centuries to come. It's great to see him play this.

User Info Menu

I never listened to Jim a lot. I knew the first record, Live! and Alone Together, they are incredible but this video made me love his playing in another level.
    Now I'm looking for everything from him and will try to study his style a little.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clebergf
    I never listened to Jim a lot. I knew the first record, Live! and Alone Together, they are incredible but this video made me love his playing in another level.
    Now I'm looking for everything from him and will try to study his style a little.
    start at the beginning...he moved to LA as a young man...hooked up with chico hamilton quintet...moved into jimmy giuffre trio...played with art farmer...paul desmond...2 duets lps with pianist bill evans...sonny rollins!! all prime band level stuff...that formed everything that he was to play later...as great as the op vid is (i love it!), that track was already 30 years old since he wrote and played it with the great jimmy giuffre trio

a true great

cheers

User Info Menu

Thanks neatomic I'll do that.
    I was thinking about that when I was looking for others recordings from Careful and I saw that it was from 1959 and he recorded it a lot as 44lombard said, I think that this take from 1989 is the masterpiece from it.
    Maybe someday I'll play enough to try to transcribe it.