The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

George Golla is one of my favorite players. He's European, but has been based in Australia for decades. Not sure if he is still with us. Here's a cut from the great 70s LP with wind player Don Burrows called "Live at Sydney Opera House." Like Bucky P., George played in a great chord solo style.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    George Golla is one of my favorite players. He's European, but has been based in Australia for decades. Not sure if he is still with us. Here's a cut from the great 70s LP with wind player Don Burrows called "Live at Sydney Opera House." Like Bucky P., George played in a great chord solo style.

Burrows was in very bad shape last I heard of him; in a nursing home. I had that great Sydney Opera House LP, but it got warped in a flood or something. I always thought of Golla as the Australian Jim Hall, I think he played a 175 on that record. He also made a duo record with Burrows that I have buried somewhere that's very nice.
    Last edited by sgcim; 05-23-2020 at 03:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Had a lesson with him decades ago. Great teacher. Great player. I believe Rex goh was doing some research on George’s playing.

For Australians, among many other iconic recordings, its George playing the banjo in the theme from skippy, the bush kangaroo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Burrows was in very bad shape last I heard of him; in a nursing home. I had that great Sydney Opera House LP, but it got warped in a flood or something. I always thought of Golla as the Australian Jim Hall, I think he played a 175 on that record. He also made a duo record with Burrows that I have buried somewhere that's very nice. Golla is still playing, believe I saw him hitching a ride on a 'roo the other day with his amp in the pouch.
    George Golla is still alive but retired from performing a couple of years ago. Don Burrows died in March this year. He had dementia and had forgotten how to play the sax (but not his second instrument, the flute!). I'm a good friend and teach next door one day a week to the drummer on that Sydney Opera House LP, Lawrie Thompson.

User Info Menu

I did not know that thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Burrows was in very bad shape last I heard of him; in a nursing home. I had that great Sydney Opera House LP, but it got warped in a flood or something. I always thought of Golla as the Australian Jim Hall, I think he played a 175 on that record. He also made a duo record with Burrows that I have buried somewhere that's very nice. Golla is still playing, believe I saw him hitching a ride on a 'roo the other day with his amp in the pouch.
    You may enjoy this beautiful doco (have tissues at hand)

Thanks for the info, sad though to is. I found the "Live at Sydney Opera House" LP in a used record store back in the late 80s and it remains a favorite. The music lives on.

User Info Menu

I think last I heard of George Golla was 5-10 years ago, he was randomly beaten up, very badly, at Byron Bay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AndyV
    Thanks for the info, sad though to is. I found the "Live at Sydney Opera House" LP in a used record store back in the late 80s and it remains a favorite. The music lives on.
    It's recently been re-issued on CD. I recently wrote an arr. of one of the tunes from that LP for 18 piece jazz ensemble. I had to write out DB's part from memory, because the LP was destroyed in some type of flooding in the basement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    I think last I heard of George Golla was 5-10 years ago, he was randomly beaten up, very badly, at Byron Bay
    That is beyond sick. I hope they caught the animal(s).

User Info Menu

George Golla plays on 2 tracks on Martin Taylor’s ‘Two’s Company’ CD recorded in 1997.

User Info Menu

I found the Don Burrows/George Golla Duo LP I have. It's called "Other Places Other Times". Golla plays 7-string guitar on it, and Burrows plays Flute, Clarinet and Bamboo Flute on it.
    Burrows sound on flute was really something special, especially on the Sydney Opera House LP.

I bought the Opera House CD reissue. Excellent sound and great to hear it again after years. The group had a unique sound ... Burrows multi phonics on flute and Golla's mastery. His wah wah pedal use of the head to Yesterdays is one of the best uses of that wacky pedal in jazz I've ever heard. So sorry to hear what happened to George.