Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 44 of 44

User Info Menu

Sept 1st, 1980

Some of the younger folk maybe weren't exposed to this. Is this my favorite album ever? Maybe.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a pretty good one, and frankly the only recording w PM that I can listen to.
    I'll vote for this....

User Info Menu

Larry Carlton Last Nite

Amazing live chemistry, artistry, melody, rhythm, musicianship. Still remember the day I bought it way back then

Larry Carlton Last Nite Live complete - YouTube

User Info Menu

Doesn't say favorite jazz albums, so here goes:

No need to be specific. Think Prince, Talking Heads, U2, Paul Simon, Michael Jackson, AC/DC, Police, various others.

User Info Menu

This is not my final answer but I think this is from a good pop album from 1980 ("Arc of a Diver") that was succesful at the time but I don't hear it mentioned much anymore. I think it holds up well.

User Info Menu

Released in 1983 I'm going with Jimmy Raney and The Master; Here is Billie's Bounce:

User Info Menu

Grateful Dead "Reckoning," e.g.,

Wonderful marriage of music and lyrics...

to lie with you, once more, to lie with you
    with our dreams entwined together
    to wake beside you, my love still sleepin'
    to tell sweet lies one last time and say good night
    Last edited by Cunamara; 05-20-2020 at 04:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Favorite album from the 1980s-91gwxsxpgcl-_ac_sl1425_-jpg

User Info Menu

Not a guitar-heavy album but just the same :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    Doesn't say favorite jazz albums, so here goes:

No need to be specific. Think Prince, Talking Heads, U2, Paul Simon, Michael Jackson, AC/DC, Police, various others.

Some great stuff there .. I have a weakness for the Euro synth based early 80s stuff like Ultravox

And not to mention that my 15 to 18 year old self loved absolutely loved these guys

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    That's a pretty good one, and frankly the only recording w PM that I can listen to.
    I'll vote for this....

What do you mean by 'w PM'? Thanks

Benson playing straight ahead in the 80s was always nice to listen to.

User Info Menu

Metheny

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Larry Carlton Last Nite

Amazing live chemistry, artistry, melody, rhythm, musicianship. Still remember the day I bought it way back then

Larry Carlton Last Nite Live complete - YouTube
    For jazz, hell yeah.

I've got other faves for other genres, but Last Nite is a great album. For heavy rock: Back in Black. For new wave, Spring Seesion M from Missing Persons. Pop? Stronger Than Pride, from Sade, or 1999 from Prince. Thrash is Metalllica's And Justice for All.

User Info Menu

Metheny
    Ok, that's what I assumed but the album cover I found on net only said it was 'featuring' Benson, Carter, Tate and Turrentine (but 'featuring' should have been a tip off that there were others on this).

The few tracks I listen to with Benson sounded fine but generally I don't like these 'featuring' albums and the Amazon user comment ad is really a turnoff with "I like George Benson's guitar on this CDs' combination of smoother jazz and swing, however Smith's organ playing lacks the magic of his older recordings. For a .... ".

But like I said 80's Benson on non smoother jazz \ singing tunes is always worth a look-see.

User Info Menu

Anything by Talking Heads. I was not listening to serious music in the 80s.

User Info Menu

was referring to Metheny on the Joni Mitchell record. Not a Metheny fan but like him as as a sideman here. The Smith record is outstanding in every way imo, even though he's using a bassist, I usually prefer organ recordings w left hand bass + pedals, but this lp is an exception for me

User Info Menu

was referring to Metheny on the Joni Mitchell record. Not a Metheny fan but like him as as a sideman here. The Smith record is outstanding in every way imo, even though he's using a bassist, I usually prefer organ recordings w left hand bass + pedals, but this lp is an exception for me
    Ok, I get it now (I needed to look UP). The use of 'that' (or 'this') strikes me, yet again.

As for the Smith recording, good to hear since I have seen other recommendations from you and we have similar taste.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 05-18-2020 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

May not be my absolute favorite, but it's up there in the top 10. The most introspective Morse ever got. Brilliantly executed and brilliantly recorded.

Steve Morse - High Tension Wires

User Info Menu

For me, it's Tom Wait's Rain Dogs, as well as Frank's Wild Years, Big Time and Swordfishtrombone. Tom was on fire in the 80s and didn't sound like anything else from that era.

Favorite album from the 1980s-rain-dogs-jpg
    Last edited by darkwaters; 05-21-2020 at 07:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    This is not my final answer but I think this is from a good pop album from 1980 ("Arc of a Diver") that was succesful at the time but I don't hear it mentioned much anymore. I think it holds up well.

That is certainly a high point (high life?) for Winwood, and one of the best pop records of the 80's.

As far as pop music, I would have to go with Peter Gabriel's So, though PG3 (Melt) would be a close second. It absolutely redefined the artist and the role of art music in pop culture.

Eno's solo work and collaborations were particularly fruitful as well--U2's the Unforgettable Fire and Talking Heads Remain in Light. And of course David Bowie's Scary Monsters and Let's Dance.

While I did listen to and buy jazz obsessively in the 80's, I am hard pressed to think of anything earth-shattering from that decade. The 60's and 70's were MUCH better IMO.

However, the Herbie Hancock album Future Shock lit up the charts and the dance floors at the time. Hard to think of anything more impactful in terms jazz influence on the general public.

John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny , John Scofield and Chick Corea all put out some fine albums at the time. And of course the debut of Wynton Marsalis in 1982 and the return of Miles in 1982.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what I'd say today, looking back at the 80s, but back in the early 80s, this was one of my favorites. So many who played in open tunings seemed to let the tuning play them. Alex was always about composition and the tuning just facilitated communicating the song.

User Info Menu

Too many to list, but....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Stevie Ray Vaughan made at least two great albums in the '80s, "Texas Flood" and "In Step."
    A song from each

User Info Menu

For Jazz, outside of the obvious Pat Metheny Albums there is

and (recorded in 89, released in 90)

User Info Menu

Always hard to pick just one, but this one would be near the top for me.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Three records of Wayne Shorter's in '80s are actually full of beautiful compositions. Those typical '80s drums and keyboards are disastrous though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

How good is Bonnie Raitt's slide playing? Instantly recognizable as is her voice.

Years ago I loved trying to play slide and there was all these guys with these pyrotechnics sliding all over, but I always thought her tone and VIBRATO was just the best.

User Info Menu

Making Movies from Dire Straits

User Info Menu

and 2, and 3, and 4 and 5, and 6 to follow

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june

and 2, and 3, and 4 and 5, and 6 to follow
    Those have some good moments but they were not released in the 80's.

Shut Up and Play Your Guitar was released then. Some of his 80's albums were quite good, some rather meh, but not comparable to his mid-late 70's fusion masterpieces IMO. I did see him twice in the 80's--great concerts.

Edit: I stand corrected. The first 3 of them were released in '88-89. I don't think they were widely available--mail order only? I certainly never saw them at my local record store.

User Info Menu

Loved being hipped to the Grolnick and Jimmy Smith records.

While Sco is an obvious choice for this forum and this thread, here's is an eighties Sco album I'd been meaning to check out for decades, and didn't get around to until this month. Sco is playing his butt off on this live session with the Pullen/Adams Quartet.

The reviews of this record weren't great, said he didn't really mesh with the group...and it does have a "playing to the jazz festival crowd" vibe...but it's Sco playing intense straight ahead jazz in 1985, with fellow travelers (all these musicians except the bass player were featured on mid-70s Mingus albums). I'm sure if they played a week at Sweet Basil and then went into the studio, a very different kind of record would have been made. But I'm digging this record as a document of a time and place, and especially the energy of the opening cut, "IJ", a blues written by Sco. I wish Sco's Blue Note album with Eddie Harris had a bit more of this kind of energy. This live date also has some more subtle stuff--it's not all barn burners.

Also, all of the late, great Hal Willner's concept albums from the 80s are treasures to me (and the 1992 Mingus, the last of the great run IMHO). Carla Bley's work in particular is outstanding on the first three:
    Last edited by 44lombard; 05-24-2020 at 05:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Earl Klugh's 'Solo guitar' album was made in 89. Some tracks a bit background music, but others are fantastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard View Post
    Loved being hipped to the Grolnick and Jimmy Smith records.

While Sco is an obvious choice for this forum and this thread, here's is an eighties Sco album I'd been meaning to check out for decades, and didn't get around to until this month. Sco is playing his butt off on this live session with the Pullen/Adams Quartet.

The reviews of this record weren't great, said he didn't really mesh with the group...and it does have a "playing to the jazz festival crowd" vibe...but it's Sco playing intense straight ahead jazz in 1985, with fellow travelers (all these musicians except the bass player were featured on mid-70s Mingus albums). I'm sure if they played a week at Sweet Basil and then went into the studio, a very different kind of record would have been made. But I'm digging this record as a document of a time and place, and especially the energy of the opening cut, "IJ", a blues written by Sco. I wish Sco's Blue Note album with Eddie Harris had a bit more of this kind of energy. This live date also has some more subtle stuff--it's not all barn burners.

Also, all of the late, great Hal Willner's concept albums from the 80s are treasures to me (and the 1992 Mingus, the last of the great run IMHO). Carla Bley's work in particular is outstanding on the first three:
    Pretty much any Carla Bley recording is great. Underappreciated artist and composer.

Also any recording from ECM in the ‘80’s was generally top notch, including John Abercrombie, Pat Metheny and Keith Jarrett. ECM seemed to have a core sound and philosophy that was distinct from the more commercial and less musically interesting trends with the American-based labels.

Re’ the Adams/Pullen record, that is a nice recording, and yes Sco plays his butt off. I don’t like his tone so much. (It could be the poor quality of the YouTube stream though.) I was listening to some late ‘70’s/early ‘80’s stuff yesterday where his tone was awesome...not heavily processed, not heavily overdriven. I think a more traditional jazz tone would have worked better here—or even a brighter, sweeter tone ala Larry Carlton.

User Info Menu

I wasn't listening to much jazz back then. What I do remember hearing was The Nightfly by Donald Fagen (introduced to me by an audio equipment selling friend who used it as demo) and Unfinished Business by Danny Gatton, Telecasting by Jerry Donahue, and East Side Story by Squeeze. And there was one other that grew on me from hearing it so often - Fresh Fruit in Foreign Places by Kid Creole. A girlfriend I had at the time seemed to listen to it constantly.

User Info Menu

I have this and it is wonderful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I have this and it is wonderful!
    I saw Kid Creole open for Talking Heads during their Remain in Light tour. Awesome experience!

User Info Menu

Many good "smoothies" from the 80s. Ritenour in Rio was one of of them. David Sanborn Straight to the heart was another.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Love this question!

For jazz(ish) it's hands down Guitar by Sonny Sharrock.

And for non-jazz I'd say Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV View Post
    For Jazz, outside of the obvious Pat Metheny Albums there is

and (recorded in 89, released in 90)

Yes! Love both of these records.

User Info Menu

I'd forgotten about some really good free jazz/improv records made in the 80s.
    Like this one from Wadada Leo Smith and friends:
    Touch the Earth - Break the Shells | Destination: OUT store

and this surprisingly tranquil (in parts) one from Derek Bailey, John Zorn and George Lewis:

User Info Menu