The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 43

User Info Menu

Sept 1st, 1980

Some of the younger folk maybe weren't exposed to this. Is this my favorite album ever? Maybe.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a pretty good one, and frankly the only recording w PM that I can listen to.
    I'll vote for this....

User Info Menu

Larry Carlton Last Nite

Amazing live chemistry, artistry, melody, rhythm, musicianship. Still remember the day I bought it way back then

Larry Carlton Last Nite Live complete - YouTube

User Info Menu

Doesn't say favorite jazz albums, so here goes:

No need to be specific. Think Prince, Talking Heads, U2, Paul Simon, Michael Jackson, AC/DC, Police, various others.

User Info Menu

This is not my final answer but I think this is from a good pop album from 1980 ("Arc of a Diver") that was succesful at the time but I don't hear it mentioned much anymore. I think it holds up well.

User Info Menu

Released in 1983 I'm going with Jimmy Raney and The Master; Here is Billie's Bounce:

User Info Menu

Grateful Dead "Reckoning," e.g.,

Wonderful marriage of music and lyrics...

to lie with you, once more, to lie with you
    with our dreams entwined together
    to wake beside you, my love still sleepin'
    to tell sweet lies one last time and say good night
    Last edited by Cunamara; 05-20-2020 at 04:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Favorite album from the 1980s-91gwxsxpgcl-_ac_sl1425_-jpg

User Info Menu

Not a guitar-heavy album but just the same :

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    That's a pretty good one, and frankly the only recording w PM that I can listen to.
    I'll vote for this....

What do you mean by 'w PM'? Thanks

Benson playing straight ahead in the 80s was always nice to listen to.

User Info Menu

Metheny

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggomez
    Larry Carlton Last Nite

Amazing live chemistry, artistry, melody, rhythm, musicianship. Still remember the day I bought it way back then

Larry Carlton Last Nite Live complete - YouTube
    For jazz, hell yeah.

I've got other faves for other genres, but Last Nite is a great album. For heavy rock: Back in Black. For new wave, Spring Seesion M from Missing Persons. Pop? Stronger Than Pride, from Sade, or 1999 from Prince. Thrash is Metalllica's And Justice for All.

User Info Menu

Metheny
    Ok, that's what I assumed but the album cover I found on net only said it was 'featuring' Benson, Carter, Tate and Turrentine (but 'featuring' should have been a tip off that there were others on this).

The few tracks I listen to with Benson sounded fine but generally I don't like these 'featuring' albums and the Amazon user comment ad is really a turnoff with "I like George Benson's guitar on this CDs' combination of smoother jazz and swing, however Smith's organ playing lacks the magic of his older recordings. For a .... ".

But like I said 80's Benson on non smoother jazz \ singing tunes is always worth a look-see.

User Info Menu

Anything by Talking Heads. I was not listening to serious music in the 80s.

User Info Menu

was referring to Metheny on the Joni Mitchell record. Not a Metheny fan but like him as as a sideman here. The Smith record is outstanding in every way imo, even though he's using a bassist, I usually prefer organ recordings w left hand bass + pedals, but this lp is an exception for me

User Info Menu

was referring to Metheny on the Joni Mitchell record. Not a Metheny fan but like him as as a sideman here. The Smith record is outstanding in every way imo, even though he's using a bassist, I usually prefer organ recordings w left hand bass + pedals, but this lp is an exception for me
    Ok, I get it now (I needed to look UP). The use of 'that' (or 'this') strikes me, yet again.

As for the Smith recording, good to hear since I have seen other recommendations from you and we have similar taste.
    Last edited by jameslovestal; 05-18-2020 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

May not be my absolute favorite, but it's up there in the top 10. The most introspective Morse ever got. Brilliantly executed and brilliantly recorded.

Steve Morse - High Tension Wires

User Info Menu

For me, it's Tom Wait's Rain Dogs, as well as Frank's Wild Years, Big Time and Swordfishtrombone. Tom was on fire in the 80s and didn't sound like anything else from that era.

Favorite album from the 1980s-rain-dogs-jpg
    Last edited by darkwaters; 05-21-2020 at 07:49 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    This is not my final answer but I think this is from a good pop album from 1980 ("Arc of a Diver") that was succesful at the time but I don't hear it mentioned much anymore. I think it holds up well.

That is certainly a high point (high life?) for Winwood, and one of the best pop records of the 80's.

As far as pop music, I would have to go with Peter Gabriel's So, though PG3 (Melt) would be a close second. It absolutely redefined the artist and the role of art music in pop culture.

Eno's solo work and collaborations were particularly fruitful as well--U2's the Unforgettable Fire and Talking Heads Remain in Light. And of course David Bowie's Scary Monsters and Let's Dance.

While I did listen to and buy jazz obsessively in the 80's, I am hard pressed to think of anything earth-shattering from that decade. The 60's and 70's were MUCH better IMO.

However, the Herbie Hancock album Future Shock lit up the charts and the dance floors at the time. Hard to think of anything more impactful in terms jazz influence on the general public.

John McLaughlin, Pat Metheny , John Scofield and Chick Corea all put out some fine albums at the time. And of course the debut of Wynton Marsalis in 1982 and the return of Miles in 1982.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure what I'd say today, looking back at the 80s, but back in the early 80s, this was one of my favorites. So many who played in open tunings seemed to let the tuning play them. Alex was always about composition and the tuning just facilitated communicating the song.

User Info Menu

Too many to list, but....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Stevie Ray Vaughan made at least two great albums in the '80s, "Texas Flood" and "In Step."
    A song from each

User Info Menu

For Jazz, outside of the obvious Pat Metheny Albums there is

and (recorded in 89, released in 90)

User Info Menu

Always hard to pick just one, but this one would be near the top for me.