The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 43 of 43

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Three records of Wayne Shorter's in '80s are actually full of beautiful compositions. Those typical '80s drums and keyboards are disastrous though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo

How good is Bonnie Raitt's slide playing? Instantly recognizable as is her voice.

Years ago I loved trying to play slide and there was all these guys with these pyrotechnics sliding all over, but I always thought her tone and VIBRATO was just the best.

User Info Menu

Making Movies from Dire Straits

User Info Menu

and 2, and 3, and 4 and 5, and 6 to follow

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june

and 2, and 3, and 4 and 5, and 6 to follow
    Those have some good moments but they were not released in the 80's.

Shut Up and Play Your Guitar was released then. Some of his 80's albums were quite good, some rather meh, but not comparable to his mid-late 70's fusion masterpieces IMO. I did see him twice in the 80's--great concerts.

Edit: I stand corrected. The first 3 of them were released in '88-89. I don't think they were widely available--mail order only? I certainly never saw them at my local record store.

User Info Menu

Loved being hipped to the Grolnick and Jimmy Smith records.

While Sco is an obvious choice for this forum and this thread, here's is an eighties Sco album I'd been meaning to check out for decades, and didn't get around to until this month. Sco is playing his butt off on this live session with the Pullen/Adams Quartet.

The reviews of this record weren't great, said he didn't really mesh with the group...and it does have a "playing to the jazz festival crowd" vibe...but it's Sco playing intense straight ahead jazz in 1985, with fellow travelers (all these musicians except the bass player were featured on mid-70s Mingus albums). I'm sure if they played a week at Sweet Basil and then went into the studio, a very different kind of record would have been made. But I'm digging this record as a document of a time and place, and especially the energy of the opening cut, "IJ", a blues written by Sco. I wish Sco's Blue Note album with Eddie Harris had a bit more of this kind of energy. This live date also has some more subtle stuff--it's not all barn burners.

Also, all of the late, great Hal Willner's concept albums from the 80s are treasures to me (and the 1992 Mingus, the last of the great run IMHO). Carla Bley's work in particular is outstanding on the first three:
    Last edited by 44lombard; 05-24-2020 at 05:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Earl Klugh's 'Solo guitar' album was made in 89. Some tracks a bit background music, but others are fantastic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 44lombard
    Loved being hipped to the Grolnick and Jimmy Smith records.

While Sco is an obvious choice for this forum and this thread, here's is an eighties Sco album I'd been meaning to check out for decades, and didn't get around to until this month. Sco is playing his butt off on this live session with the Pullen/Adams Quartet.

The reviews of this record weren't great, said he didn't really mesh with the group...and it does have a "playing to the jazz festival crowd" vibe...but it's Sco playing intense straight ahead jazz in 1985, with fellow travelers (all these musicians except the bass player were featured on mid-70s Mingus albums). I'm sure if they played a week at Sweet Basil and then went into the studio, a very different kind of record would have been made. But I'm digging this record as a document of a time and place, and especially the energy of the opening cut, "IJ", a blues written by Sco. I wish Sco's Blue Note album with Eddie Harris had a bit more of this kind of energy. This live date also has some more subtle stuff--it's not all barn burners.

Also, all of the late, great Hal Willner's concept albums from the 80s are treasures to me (and the 1992 Mingus, the last of the great run IMHO). Carla Bley's work in particular is outstanding on the first three:
    Pretty much any Carla Bley recording is great. Underappreciated artist and composer.

Also any recording from ECM in the ‘80’s was generally top notch, including John Abercrombie, Pat Metheny and Keith Jarrett. ECM seemed to have a core sound and philosophy that was distinct from the more commercial and less musically interesting trends with the American-based labels.

Re’ the Adams/Pullen record, that is a nice recording, and yes Sco plays his butt off. I don’t like his tone so much. (It could be the poor quality of the YouTube stream though.) I was listening to some late ‘70’s/early ‘80’s stuff yesterday where his tone was awesome...not heavily processed, not heavily overdriven. I think a more traditional jazz tone would have worked better here—or even a brighter, sweeter tone ala Larry Carlton.

User Info Menu

I wasn't listening to much jazz back then. What I do remember hearing was The Nightfly by Donald Fagen (introduced to me by an audio equipment selling friend who used it as demo) and Unfinished Business by Danny Gatton, Telecasting by Jerry Donahue, and East Side Story by Squeeze. And there was one other that grew on me from hearing it so often - Fresh Fruit in Foreign Places by Kid Creole. A girlfriend I had at the time seemed to listen to it constantly.

User Info Menu

I have this and it is wonderful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I have this and it is wonderful!
    I saw Kid Creole open for Talking Heads during their Remain in Light tour. Awesome experience!

User Info Menu

Many good "smoothies" from the 80s. Ritenour in Rio was one of of them. David Sanborn Straight to the heart was another.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Love this question!

For jazz(ish) it's hands down Guitar by Sonny Sharrock.

And for non-jazz I'd say Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BWV
    For Jazz, outside of the obvious Pat Metheny Albums there is

and (recorded in 89, released in 90)

Yes! Love both of these records.

User Info Menu

I'd forgotten about some really good free jazz/improv records made in the 80s.
    Like this one from Wadada Leo Smith and friends:
    Touch the Earth - Break the Shells | Destination: OUT store

and this surprisingly tranquil (in parts) one from Derek Bailey, John Zorn and George Lewis:

User Info Menu