The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 40

User Info Menu

Post your favourites.
    Difficult to choose. I'm going with a safe one. Can't stop listening:
    Last edited by Tal_175; 05-17-2020 at 01:03 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

ive always felt this is perfect from start to end

User Info Menu

Charlie Christian's solo on "Rose Room" still sounds perfect to me.

User Info Menu

Ed Bickert "Tonight I Shall Sleep" on the "Third Floor Richard" album.

User Info Menu

Could have posted anything by Hodges really

User Info Menu

Well since the term 'beautiful' is used here I can't go with any guitar player because no guitar can sound as beautiful, to me, as a clarinet.

Therefore I"m going with Artie Shaw and what I view as the most beautiful tune, Hoagy Carmichael's Stardust; Note that Tal Farlow gets a solo starting at 1:56.

User Info Menu

Beautiful? Immediately made me think of this, all of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Could have posted anything by Hodges really
    Jeep's Blues! Jeep's Blues!

Here is a lesser known tune, "Johnny's Blues" which I had not heard until Duke Robillard started teaching it on his site. Johnny had such a lovely tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Post your favourites.
    Difficult to choose. I'm going with a safe one. Can't stop listening:
    Wow does that take off—turbocharged!

The entire history of jazz is in that one performance. GREAT comping on guitar of course...

Apparently this was recorded when Parker was 21? Featuring Efferge Ware on guitar and Little Phil Phillips on drums.

User Info Menu

Something different, and I like it: Nate Radley on guitar--

User Info Menu

Yes, very difficult to choose, but here's my candidate - another 21 year old sax player. Solo starts at 1:23; arrangement ain't bad, either:

User Info Menu

As for something different, here is a very beautiful solo by Dexter Gordon.

User Info Menu

The Genius of Joe Zawinul

Scott Henderson played with Joe Zawinul in the syndicate and said:

Henderson was with Zawinul for about four years. A few months after Joe’s death, in response to a visitor’s question, Scott recalled some fun stories on his discussion forum:

Playing with Joe was one of the highlights of my career. Just listening to him play every night was awesome. I don’t know if those stories about Mozart were true like in the movie, but I can definitely tell you that Zawinul did it. Everything he “composed” was an improvisation right on the spot. He was a musical genius to say the least. Plus he was an extremely funny guy with more confidence than anyone I’d ever met before.

One time I was overdubbing in the studio for him and I played something I didn’t like – I told him I didn’t like it and asked to do it over. Joe said “if you didn’t like it, what the fuck did you play it for?” I don’t think he could even conceive of playing something and not totally digging it, because everything he played was a motherfucker.

My favorite story about Joe is that he was always trying to get me to smoke pot and drink with him before the shows, and I told him, man, I can’t play on that shit. But after getting sick of him bothering me for months about it, I smoked a joint with him and got really wasted before a concert in Austria. I was having a great time until we hit the stage, and I fucked up every melody and couldn’t play shit on my solos. It was a disaster. Then after the gig, Joe comes up to me and yells “Henderson! How many fuckin’ times have I told you not to do that shit before a gig?” I have a million stories about my experiences working with Joe, most of them funny, and enough to fill a book.
    So many beautiful tunes, led to beautiful solos. I'm not even sure all of what was composed and what was a improvised on this one, but beautiful.

User Info Menu

I can't say. I haven't heard anywhere close to all the solos ever played. Even deciding on the best I've ever heard would be hard.

User Info Menu

how does john get that pad sound ?
    I need some of that !

User Info Menu

Or this from Pat
    very beautiful ....

User Info Menu

It would have been a Johnny Hodges solo from me, too. As you say, any - certainly, many - of them.

User Info Menu

This will never get old to me. Never.

User Info Menu

Here's two:

Simple, sweet, profound. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

O.K. One more. It has been said that the tenor saxophone is an imitation of the human voice. Here's Gene Ammons, "The Jug," with his classic rendition of "Angel Eyes". If we want to communicate, our instruments must sing like a human voice. Good playing . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Good choices by all!
    Sonny Rollins' chorus on Sunny Side of the Street has always made me feel some type of way. Really the recording of this tune in general is definitely on my desert island list. I always feel like Rollins was a master story teller in his solos and they usually always seem perfectly crafted to me.

User Info Menu

Define beautiful!

User Info Menu

I don’t think this is a “most” beautiful solo—where Ben Webster comes in, breathily, in almost a whisper, after Art Tatum’s prestidigital virtuosity— but I find its notion of beauty admirable and deeply appealing: a wise voice telling you, in just so many notes, all you need to know about the spirit of jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Define beautiful!
    How about no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irwin1993
    Good choices by all!
    Sonny Rollins' chorus on Sunny Side of the Street has always made me feel some type of way. Really the recording of this tune in general is definitely on my desert island list. I always feel like Rollins was a master story teller in his solos and they usually always seem perfectly crafted to me.
    Such a great record. On "Sunny Side" I prefer Stitt's solo---it is a marvel to me---but that whole album is joyful and inspiring. (That's my favorite version of "After Hours" too.)