The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

75 today. Yes I know he's not a guitarist. Brilliant musician though...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

happy b-day to the great keith jarrett

but on the contrary he does play guitar!...supposedly stan getz heard him playing guitar and wanted to take him on the road as a guitarist!

ecm actually released a 2cd set of jarretts guitar recordings-no end

jarrett also has recorded with sax and percussion...one of the greats
    cheers

User Info Menu

Interesting, Keith on guitar.
    .... too bad I can't find any vids or sound clips of it.
    Has anybody heard it?

User Info Menu

unfortunately the ecm label is very diligent about not letting songs/clips on youtube...or i would have linked to a clip

i had the cd when it came out...not standards type playing by any means..more outside adventurous jammy stuff...not always entirely successful, but not bad...

keiths soprano sax work is not my fave either...but hes always competent...and worth listening to

as for piano..well he's one of the greats

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-08-2020 at 10:32 PM. Reason: cl-

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I saw him in the 80’s when he went whole hog for classical. He played with the Atlanta Symphony—one or 2 Mozart concertos, as I recall.

It was very good, and I think he is well-regarded in the classical world, if not in the absolute top. (I could be wrong. Classical folk can be VERY snobby.)

I do regret not seeing him play something jazzy though. His recordings from Koln are legendary for a reason. No one plays more cerebrally than Keith Jarrett.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    It was very good, and I think he is well-regarded in the classical world, if not in the absolute top. (I could be wrong. Classical folk can be VERY snobby.)
    He is notorious for his tantrums, provoked by audience noise. Norman Lebrecht wrote on one occasion, "If Myra Hess could play through the London Blitz, Mr Spoiled Jarrett can override a little cough.” But his Bach and Shostakovitch records are well-regarded. He had taken lessons with Eleanor Sokoloff when he was young.

The Standards Trio is the top for me. True artistry.

Nothing quite like their renditions. So often transcendent deconstructions of tunes you thought you knew. I'm blown away by the outro on this one. Hadn't heard it before tonight:

The YouTube pickings are a little slim...
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 05-10-2020 at 07:23 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb300
    Interesting, Keith on guitar.
    .... too bad I can't find any vids or sound clips of it.
    Has anybody heard it?

Jarrett is an amazing piano player!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    The Standards Trio is the top for me. True artistry.

Nothing quite like their renditions. So often transcendent deconstructions of tunes you thought you knew. I'm blown away by the outro on this once. Hadn't heard it before tonight:

The YouTube pickings are a little slim...

His trio stuff is amazing, but some (not all) of the the stuff he did in the 70's is where he shines the most, even more than in the trio work, imo
    Last edited by greveost; 05-10-2020 at 06:09 AM.

I saw him in the early 70s on a triple bill with Oregon, and Gary Burton with Metheny and Goodrich. The gig was at Symphony Hall in Boston. He was in a trio with Charlie Haden and Paul Motion. Before the performance he walked out on stage and yelled at the audience "no pictures!, history will not be made tonight" then stormed off the stage. The trio came out and he played sax for the first five or ten minutes before playing piano. The concert was transcendent...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    I saw him in the early 70s on a triple bill with Oregon, and Gary Burton with Metheny and Goodrich. The gig was at Symphony Hall in Boston. He was in a trio with Charlie Haden and Paul Motion. Before the performance he walked out on stage and yelled at the audience "no pictures!, history will not be made tonight" then stormed off the stage. The trio came out and he played sax for the first five or ten minutes before playing piano. The concert was transcendent...
    Haha, awesome story, typical Jarrett!

He did some magic with Haden and Motian!

I'll post a version with solo improvisation--a challenge to do the beautiful changes the justice they deserve--but for now here's my arrangement.

User Info Menu

I can’t say enough positive words about the Keith Jarrett Trio. Each in their own right is a standard bearer for what defines a trio. Pure genius.

The example above I’ve had the good fortune to experience in a live setting some 4 times. I’m what you’d call a devout KJT fanboy. We fanboys make no apologies for the occasional grunts, groans, and outward bursts of joy, for that is the price of entry being in the presence of genius.

Keith, imo, is the most beautiful ballad player ever. This even though there’s a repetitive nature to his left hand playing. The harmony is mostly a combination of quarter notes followed by a pair of eighths, followed by dotted quarters, and an eighth and a variation of the above. Does that justify genius? Is it just his touch, or the manner which Keith coaxes, massages, a piano to present a sublime message of pure joy.

I’ve been in the presence of genius but a few times. Whether it was Gene Harris, Ahmad Jamal, Oscar Peterson, or Keith Jarrett, we know it when we experience it. To be left in awe, in a joyous moment...yeah, that’s the stuff of genius. And that defines the KJT.

User Info Menu

How Deep Is "their" Ocean: