The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

was listening to john dowland compositions, and hearing his classic- lachrimae...thought, rob must have done this one...i can almost picture it..sure enough

& on steel string no less!!

and soon after on 10 string!

the maestro in our midst

(he's got an earlier version on lute as well!!!)...anything with strings!

cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Renaissance Man Rob MacKillop is a Gentleman and a Scholar and an Artist of the first rank. My hat is off to him!

User Info Menu

He's a hack. Ugly as sin too.

User Info Menu

...Or maybe just modest. In any case, he’s inspired some of us with his combination of adventurousness in repertoire, competence on a variety of instruments, and solid artistic ability.

User Info Menu

Oh... Rob has inspired me to walk down a detour path or two. Indeed, I've even filed down my fingernails for classical guitar. Take that Andres!

User Info Menu

Rob, your playing and adventurousness is always inspiring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Rob, did you tune your G down to F#?
    Were you referring to notes or lute-tab?

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    was listening to john dowland compositions, and hearing his classic- lachrimae...thought, rob must have done this one...i can almost picture it..sure enough

& on steel string no less!!

So very musical. All guitarists tread the path blazed by John Dowland.

My introduction to Dowland came via John Renbourn, so it's always been natural to hear it on steel.

Keep going, Rob!

User Info Menu

Sam, I was using my own edition

Rob MacKillop-lute-book-cover-jpg

Lots more info and videos (steel, classical, and lute) about the book here: Introduction To The Lute | Rob MacKillop ~ Musician

User Info Menu

Cheer Andy and CMajor9.

And Michael, you have surpassed me. I always enjoy your videos!

User Info Menu

PS, Sam, F#. Of course!

User Info Menu

And Michael, you have surpassed me.
    Ha! Pass me your lute and I will quickly disabuse you of that notion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    . All guitarists tread the path blazed by John Dowland.

My introduction to Dowland came via John Renbourn, so it's always been natural to hear it on steel.
    yes john renbourn also had huge impact on me early on as well...a true great...

he lived and passed in scotland...must be that single malt!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

I once sat next to John Renbourn at a concert given by the DADGAD wizard, Pierre Bensusan. I was too shy to introduce myself to either gentleman, which I deeply regret, especially having heard a few days later from the organiser, that they were both keen to meet me. Despite the number of self-made videos, I am a deeply shy person, or another way of looking at it is that the number of videos points to me being deeply shy. It's easier that way.

Jazz - I have loved jazz all my life, yet it remains a style that frustrates me as a player. I can't get beyond thinking about what to play instead of just playing. When I play any other style, it all just flows, and the older I get the less chance I have to get to that place with jazz. But that won't stop me listening and appreciating. If I allow myself to dream a little, it would be to play like and at the level of John Stowell...so, that's not going to happen, LOL! But a boy can dream.

User Info Menu

stowell is not your typical jazz guy..he's beyond...like towner...i can understand why you'd be drawn to him...you share that same wisened eclecticism

i've been listening to the 2 recordings he did with saxman dave liebman (ex miles)...great stuff

from their bechet tribute-petite fleur

stowell also did a recording with our fellow forum member mark kleinhaut...good stuff

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 05-05-2020 at 04:50 PM. Reason: sp-

User Info Menu

Wow, that is really nice! I'll get a copy. I have the album he did with our Mark - truly excellent.

I also have John's Solitary Tales album from 2009, just him and a microphone for nearly an hour. Bliss.

User Info Menu

I can't get beyond thinking about what to play instead of just playing.
    It is the height of hubris for me, an Advanced Beginner Guitarist, to tell you anything except 'Keep going, Rob.' But it's never stopped me before . . .

One way to get away from thinking about what to play next is to listen to what the people your are playing with are holding out to you. But of course, we can't do that right now, can we.

So you can practice listening to yourself. An example: Play a phrase. Take the last three notes and make them the first three notes of your next phrase -- not the duration, just the pitches, go play around with the duration. You may find yourself approaching familiar places from a new direction.

Further I will not overstep.

stowell also did a recording with our fellow forum member mark kleinhaut...good stuff
    Here's some of them. "Good stuff," yessah.

User Info Menu

Cheers, Sam.

User Info Menu

Great stuff. To play an instrument with so many strings takes a lot of guts.

Ahem.

I have played a fair amount of nylon-string classical guitar repertoire, but I can't get the idea of the lute or these 10-string guitars in my head. Too many notes of course.

User Info Menu

Like anything, it takes application. There are almost no barre chords, as the bass notes are often open strings, and textures tend towards two parts.

Thanks for reminding me of the old joke about guts

User Info Menu

If I allow myself to dream a little, it would be to play like and at the level of John Stowell.
    Indeed.

A younger version of myself studied Indian classical music and played sitar. The goal, I was told, was to reach the point of being able to express the raga without the need for the physical instrument. It seems to me that players like John Stowell are on that path.

Do check out the Stowell/Lerch video chat I posted in another thread. John only recently initiated his YouTube channel under his name and I know he'd be pleased to have folks here subscribe.

Jazz - I have loved jazz all my life, yet it remains a style that frustrates me as a player. I can't get beyond thinking about what to play instead of just playing
    I began to apply myself to the study of jazz (on the guitar) at age 60. It's another story, but 59 would have been my last year on Earth if it were not for the fact that I enjoy the privilege of access to medical care. So, what to do with this time? One of the more productive things I did to get traction was to allow Jimmy Bruno to kick my butt for six months. Jimmy, as you may know, can make a musical jazz line out of three diatonic notes. He is a very different personality type from John Stowell, but I know an artistic bodhisattva when I see one.

User Info Menu

stowell is not your typical jazz guy..he's beyond...like towner...i can understand why you'd be drawn to him...you share that same wisened eclecticism

i've been listening to the 2 recordings he did with saxman dave liebman (ex miles)...great stuff

from their bechet tribute-petite fleur

cheers
    oh hello - that’s got to be interesting

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky

It's another story, but 59 would have been my last year on Earth if it were not for the fact that I enjoy the privilege of access to medical care.
    Glad to see you are still with us, Michael!

User Info Menu

Hey don’t talk about my man Rob like that. He’s a great player, and kinda Purdy too..

User Info Menu

Careful, Tiger!