The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Brilliant playing; technique married to feeling is so elusive but Julian nails it. I've never heard a Les Paul sound like that.

Julian Lage - Emily (Johnny Mandel Cover) - YouTube

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yeah, that was an inspiring performance.

User Info Menu

Great playing!

Love that guitar...if someone wanted to know what a P90 sounds like in the jazz context, this would be a good place to start.

I feel a GAS attack coming on...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P4guitar
    Yeah, that was an inspiring performance.
    Completely agree. That had it all.

User Info Menu

Les Pauls are excellent jazz guitars. Should we be surprised? Errrr....
    no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Les Pauls are excellent jazz guitars. Should we be surprised? Errrr....
    no?
    Julian Lage - Emily (on a Les Paul)-3zkn05-jpg

User Info Menu

His playing is so fluid and flowing, contrapuntal instead of "chord melody."

User Info Menu

straight into my favorites.
    it'll be nice to listen to while ironing my clothes before a gig....if I ever work one of those again.

User Info Menu

Absolutely superb. What a musician!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Julian does seem to prefer single coils on his solid guitars .. First the Tele albums, Then came that Gretsch with Dynasonics and now the Les Paul with P90s .. I guess he likes dynamics
    After listening to this a bunch of times I of course had to Google "Julian Lage Les Paul". No info came up about him playing one, but I read a bunch of his interviews and he did speak to the dynamics and the journey he went on to move away from archtops and why. Very interesting. I cant play with a shot, but as mentioned above, it sure made me want a goldtop Les Paul with P-90s.
    Ugh, I'm like all the horrible golfers I laugh at who are awful but want the same clubs as Tiger, etc.

What a hippocrate, ha!

User Info Menu

I don't think he owns those vintage guitars he's been playing recently. I've read some collector guy would let him play his guitars or something like that.
    Anyway, the LP sounds amazing. None of Gibson CS sounds even close unfortunately. I'm GASing for a LP for a while but cannot afford the real one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    ... I read a bunch of his interviews and he did speak to the dynamics and the journey he went on to move away from archtops and why.
    Hey, do you have a link to this?

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who things the first string action is a little too low? Every now and then it seems to buzz slightly. Maybe I need to get my ears cleaned!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Am I the only one who things the first string action is a little too low? Every now and then it seems to buzz slightly. Maybe I need to get my ears cleaned!
    Knowing what I've read about him and what I've heard from his playing, it was probably intentional. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Hey, do you have a link to this?
    Julian Lage: Surrender to the Twang | Premier Guitar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    After listening to this a bunch of times I of course had to Google "Julian Lage Les Paul". No info came up about him playing one, but I read a bunch of his interviews and he did speak to the dynamics and the journey he went on to move away from archtops and why. Very interesting. I cant play with a shot, but as mentioned above, it sure made me want a goldtop Les Paul with P-90s.
    Ugh, I'm like all the horrible golfers I laugh at who are awful but want the same clubs as Tiger, etc.

What a hippocrate, ha!

Yep, that's me, but, I do own a 1968 Les Paul Goldtop with P90's . . . unfortunately I can't play like Julian Lage either!

User Info Menu

That’s a great interview, and a reminder how an interviewer can get the subject to open up a little and provide some insight into his/her art without intruding into the conversation.

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting this !